13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Good wargames after Risk rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M K
Croatia
flag msg tools
Risk was our first (and only) wargame we have ever played, mostly because it is the only one offered on our market.

Now that I have started buying games online I'd like some suggestions for good wargames, that do not last longer then Risk and involve preferably a little bit less luck then Risk. (but if it's interesting enough, I could live with the luck factor)

We got bored with Risk, and the ratings here are a good indicator that there are much better war games out there.

Also, the game should be equally good with both 3 or 4 players.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check this list out:
The Best Alternatives to Risk

These are wargames for 3 or more players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Axis&Allies,Europe Engulfed, A house Divided. Memoir'44. any of these would be a couple of steps up from RISK. but these are mostly 2 player games except the 1st 2 which can be played with 3 players but are better with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve E.
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis & Allies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Mislav, the traditional next step up from Risk is Axis & Allies. There are now several variants of the game. The best bet is with the original full Axis & Allies. More experienced wargamers have moved on to more involved games, but Axis & Allies is very good. You will enjoy it. It will be a long while yet before you are tired of Axis & Allies and even some gamers are addicted to it.

Beyond that there are several games which are yet another step up in complexity with a main focus being a "better Axis & Allies".

Note that both Risk and Axis & Allies are wargames with a strategic scope. That is, countries. There are excellent wargames at the level of Risk and a step up or two that are tactical in scope. You deal with individual units of infantry and tanks. A very popular one is Memoir '44, Tide of Iron and a few others.

Regarding "luck", it has been discussed to death here on BGG. I think everyone has been frustrated with Risk at one time or another with seemingly good decision-making only to be thwarted by a long series of sixes. Don't let dice make you think that a game is full of luck. If you read some of the threads here on BGG about "luck" you will note that often many dice means less luck. Games like Europe Engulfed and Tide of Iron use a lot of dice but for sure don't have the problem that Risk does. Memoir '44 uses very few dice and luck is a big factor in the game because the game uses cards a lot.

If you ask me and you are buying the one wargame right now, I would advise Axis & Allies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Axis and Allies suggestion. It works well for between 2 and 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops
Dust
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also second all of the Axis and Allies suggestions.

In addition, and for a little light hearted fun, I might throw in War on Terror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad Anft
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I enjoy Risk... once a year that it hits the table, when people, who don't want to indulge in the collection of games I have so far, see that there is also Risk - a game which rules they know already.

But, the first game that comes to mind, after Risk is Nexus Ops.
Why? The Combat is still dice-controlled, you still get a tiny army to push around and replentish every round. And it is still an area-controlled game.

But Nexus Ops offers so much more, and that with a less serious setting.

Maybe I like Nexus Ops so much because of the comic-style. I do have problems with anything that involves tanks and machine-guns... I guess my national background is the reason for that.

Sorry, I was getting off topic.

Nexus Ops also offers resource management, since you need to control the mine fields in order to gain resource points which you can spend on troops.
The placement of the mines is randomized (like in settlers of catan, when the chips are laid face down on the board - which, btw, also changes from game to game.).
So if you end up in a corner with not too many mines (there are the chip options: a) a 2 resource mine, b) a one resource mine and a figure, or c) a stronger figure.) you will also have less battles in front of your home base, and thus worry less about defense.

This game offers a different troops. However they are not a rock-paper-scissors system, instead they all roll one die and hit on different results (the human on a 6 only, the dragon on a 2+ (the range in cost and battlestrength and the order of attack is strict)).
The troops are furthermore divided into two categories: those who mine, and those who don't. The ones which don't can (amoung dominating certain battles) also control the tower in the middle of the board.
When you control it, you get two cards each round.
The only other way to gain these energize cards is when you loose a battle. And they can be very helpful in decisive moments.

One more thing (and then I stop this mini revue, which I write just for you, and those others who read this thread): this game is battle oriented. You win the game when you got a certain number of victory points - you don't need to control territory for that, like you would in Risk.
So if you like the combat aspect (and this game is combat heavier than Risk, because you cannot force an opponent through a bottleneck position), wouldn't mind a bit of battling over resources, and always wanted to see a dragon flying over the entire battlefield (which they can when they start on top of the tower) to pick on that single human at the homebase, then you should concider this.

Okay... I admit, the above sounds very enthusiastic.
But I am firm in my conviction that Nexus Ops is a better game than Risk - and that people who enjoy Risk, would also enjoy Nexus Ops.

If you like tanks and what-not, then I would suggest Attack!.
Why? It's the cheapest of all those WWII games (current price in Germany: 10.40 Euros)... It has a lot of minis, and from what I heard is a good mix between Risk and Axis and Allies. I haven't played any of the WWII themed games... because of the already mentioned dislike to modern warfare with a serious background.

Edited for clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Nexus Ops and Dust, but I like Viktory II even more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis & allies is like risk but with a few more things to think about and more chrome. I would recommend Memoir '44 if you want to move up into something with more tactical decisions rather than just looking at moving units across contininents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World might be a good one to look into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the Axis&Allies games are good following Risk. The old Avalon Hill games of the 60's are good as well and get you more into the feel of wargaming. They are not so realistic as they are fun and replayable, but keeping history in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.