Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had great fun playing Bausack a couple of weeks ago & despite not having a clue whether I was playing well or not, I knew this was a game I would love to have.

My question is; I've noticed there seems to be two editions - a 'basic' set Bausack which seems to retail for about £40 in the UK. There's also what looks to be a 'deluxe' set called Sac Noir for about £15 extra. They sounds as though they have 70 & 96 wooden pieces respectively.

My first guess is that if I wanted the best set regardless of price, Sac Noir would be the obvious choice & I assume a wider range of shapes? But is there any reason why Bausack would be a better buy?

Thanks,

Matt...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You forgot to mention Bausack which is basically the same game made by a mainstream company.

I have played all 3 and have owned 2 of them. Sac Noir is superior. The extra pieces and more difficult red pieces allow more game variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rygel meant Bandu, presumably. It has a several less pieces and a larger percentage of "easy" pieces, but it is still a great set if you can find it for cheap.

I made the splurge for Sac Noir, and I'm glad I did. However, it is much more difficult to create tall, carefully balanced towers than it is with Bandu. The Bandu blocks are all unpainted, so I added them as an additional color for games with lots of players, or if we want to go for tall structures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ashley
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe all the pieces in Sac Noir are black? I haven't played with Sac Noir, but personally, I like the different colours in vanilla Bausack which are vaguely indicative of the difficulty of the piece. Still, I wouldn't mind picking up a copy of Sac Noir as well.

Great game, either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, the "easy" pieces in Sac Noir are black; the "tricky" pieces are red. However, there is a BIG black pawn that we treat as red. (The color matters with how we usually play.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ashley
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryP wrote:
Nope, the "easy" pieces in Sac Noir are black; the "tricky" pieces are red. However, there is a BIG black pawn that we treat as red. (The color matters with how we usually play.)

Hmm, I might have to look into picking up a copy of Sac Noir, then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ashley
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to resurrect this topic, but having now bought both sets I would wholeheartedly recommend Bausack over Sac Noir.

Firstly, the Bausack pieces appear to be much higher quality than the Sac Noir pieces. The finish on the Sac Noir pieces is terrible, and some of them even have raised bits of paint on them which can cause real trouble.

Secondly, the Sac Noir set didn't seem to contain a specific distribution of pieces. There were no rectangular 'starting pieces', and looking at some of the photos of sets on here, I can immediately see pieces that our set has missing. This doesn't seem to be isolated to me, either. See: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/81121 and http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/81122
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Harris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I got Sac Noir for Christmas. I have not played vanilla Bausack, but I was impressed by the generally high quality of the pieces. There were about four thinner rectangular blocks suitable for foundations, plus one unpainted foundation block in the sack with the beans. It looks very polished and I don't think I'd want to switch for Bausack (although I had no choice anyway as the latter was out of stock!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.