BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: GI Joe Trailer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Homatidis
England
flag msg tools
badge
It looks like it might be dire, but around the beginning of August I will be in a theatre with an overpriced bucket of popcorn for this one.

http://www.gijoemovie.com/intl/uk/

edit was the month... strange order to the numbers in the trailer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in a cinema on Sunday. I watched three trailers. They were identical. CGI, robots, massive explosions, holocaust. GI Joe, Transformers 2 and Terminator 4. All absolutely identical.

What a waste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
It will only be dire if they don't have a 10 minute love scene featuring Shipwreck, Cover Girl, and Polly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
I was in a cinema on Sunday. I watched three trailers. They were identical. CGI, robots, massive explosions, holocaust. GI Joe, Transformers 2 and Terminator 4. All absolutely identical.

What a waste.

Just download a few dozen Merchant Ivory productions, and STFU! Go, Joe!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They had me up until "accelerator suits". Otherwise it looked pretty spot on.

Those looking for a GI Joe fix in the meantime. I recommend GI Joe: Resolute on Adult Swim.

http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=8a25059520b3d89e01...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:

I've never been interested in G.I. Joe, and I realized this weekend that a line like "Megatron wants what's inside my head" should never be uttered outside of a cartoon. But I am stoked about seeing the new Terminator movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
abrannan wrote:

Those looking for a GI Joe fix in the meantime. I recommend GI Joe: Resolute on Adult Swim.

http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=8a25059520b3d89e01...

The seemed to have missed the point with G.I. Joe. It is supposed to be a team of highly-specialized operatives (Roadblock, Snow-Job), and now they all seem to be just a special ops team. It is hard to re-created the comic/cartoon without camp, but they seem to have really missed the point with Joe here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The end of the trailer with the two suits running down the street doing acrobatic moves really ruined it all for me...all I could think of was "The Matrix 2" crossbred with Halo suits...

If I want to see Halo suits run around doing stupid things, I have the whole "Red Vs. Blue" series and I'll just watch that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Isaac, I wouldn't lump all three of these together at all. While I'll probably see all three (primarily because my kids will want to see them), I think Terminator will actually be a very solid film as well as an FX bonanza, and I am quite anxious to see it.

As for the other two, meh, at least there's explosions and robots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I'm more excited about this Transformers then the first one. Maybe because the whole "Megatron wants what's inside my brain" gives me a nostalgic feel to the original Marvel Comic. Where the Matrix wasn't a "thing" it was something else. And Optimus Prime (who was merely a Head hooked up to wires and such for many issues) gave it to Buster Witwicky, implanting it in his brain.

Now the Whole Buster, Spike, and Sam thing is a bit confusing. Originally Buster was Spike, just the comic version without the nickname. Then it came to like that Spike's real name was Sam (not sure if the Cartoon introduced this) so the history was Retconned to say that Buster was Spike's sibling. I think in the comic, later on, that Spike actually shows up for some issues.

So if Shia Lebeouf's older sibling Buster shows up sometime, that might be cool (to me) but to most, it would probably seem lame.

As for GIJOE? I haven't formed an opinion as of yet, it could be cool, or completely campy. Either way, it doesn't feel like GiJoe when I watch the trailer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:

What a waste.

For me the issue was that I saw the 'GI Joe' trailer in its entirety, and not a solitary second of footage said 'GI Joe' at all. I had no clue what it was a trailer for until the logo appeared.

As for Terminator, sure doesn't resemble the was flashbacks from the first movie very much at all. Which is where I was hoping it would go, but once they showed Christian Bale's mug I figured it was a quick trip off to whiz-bang-boom land.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I'd go watch: "G.I. Transformers 2 Terminator" and even the sequel! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did I imagine it, or did two of them have the Eiffel Tower being destroyed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Homatidis
England
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:

That did have an element of Team America about it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Torpor wrote:
Quote:

That did have an element of Team America about it...

Thats one of the perk's about being Canadian... Aliens, plagues, Zombies, meterorites, basically anything bad that plummets to the earth, or is fired from some UFO never ever hits a Canadian Landmark. for some reason Hunks of Rocks from Space always target Big Ben, the Eiffle Tower, and usually about a dozen American monuments, including the Statue of Liberty etc.

I swear to god, if Charlton Heston road his horse for a couple of days north after finding the Statue of Liberty Buried, he would have come to Montreal, or Toronto, and seen life as usual, probably a couple Tim Horton's and a road hockey game going on. A cordial "How's it going eh?" by some guy in a Touque, and maybe even gotten his hands on some Back Bacon or Poutine.

Canadians are completely immunue to disaster movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abrannan wrote:

Quoted for truth. Watching people jump-flip around missiles was the icing on the "fuck this film" cake.

And I love "Demolition Man", so I can handle retarded. But come on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:

Except for that whole "living in Canada" thing, which is kinda survival horror.

I mean, poutine is just a step away from eating brains. On your French fries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Opie wrote:
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:

If that's the case then we're the happiest, most well adjusted zombies you'll ever hope to meet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

People, you're missing the silver lining here: Snake-Eyes vs Storm Shadow.

You know you have to see that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Opie wrote:
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:

Let me guess. Never been to Canada, no idea what really goes on here, probably met 1 Canadian once like 15 years ago, and all you can go on is stereotypes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:
Let me guess. Never been to Canada, no idea what really goes on here, probably met 1 Canadian once like 15 years ago, and all you can go on is stereotypes.

Hosted more Canadians on my living room for the Chicago Improv Festival than I can remember -- great people, some of the friendliest and most bullshit-free people I've had the pleasure of knowing. I'd probably be spending my every Canadian dollar at the Impatients or the Bad Dog if I lived up there. Toronto is like Chicago North, without the dirty streets, and I don't get up there often enough. It'll be easier now that I have a car that I don't fear may explode at any given moment without warning.

But I'll never for the life of me "get" poutine. Ketchup chips? OK. Maple everything? On board. But poutine just skeeves me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Homatidis
England
flag msg tools
badge
Update - I did go and see the film this past weekend (opening weekend) in the UK. Very silly, but with plenty of explosions and gadgets. I would probably place it in the 'so bad it is good' category. Enjoyable popcorn movie.

Among the things which I discovered -

Who knew that the R&D guys at (soon to be named) Cobra saw the Clint Eastwood movie 'Firefox' amongst other things? Only change that they made to the jet was to have it understand Gaelic rather than Russian.

Do not try to talk to me about the sense in taking a lift which is tethered to a disintegrating ice pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.