Tim Taylor
United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the biggest question has got to be, "Free? What's up with that?"

Well, that's two questions, actually. Anyway...

The reason for these questions is that most people in capitalist nations are taught that Free means "without value" (i.e., worthless). Now this may be true for that old moldy couch on the side of the road with a cardboard sign reading FREE. But I don't think you can have that attitude when a fellow gamer gives you a game as a gift. Gifts are free and yet they are not considered without value, or of a lesser value than a similar purchased item. Things do not depend upon their price tags for their worth.

To the Last Man! has been in design and development for 17 years. It has nearly been published several times, yet remained stillborn. After so many disappointments I really did not want to spend several more years fooling around with another game publisher. Besides, I cannot help but think that's a dead end anyway, after 17 years of trying...

However, sitting on the game like a dragon on his hoard seemed like a really bad idea. I think TTLM! is a great game and I wanted to share it with other gamers. But how?

So along comes Arnauld and Christophe, great Geeks here on BGG, telling me I cannot allow TTLM! to die. They kindly offer their help web-hosting and doing all the graphics work, since I'm not a graphic artist nor a web admin. Suddenly, TTLM! is finally going to be published after all these years (albeit in a PnP format).

Christophe and Arnauld freely gave me the benefit of their time and expertise. Plus we hope that others will want to make their own components and share them with everyone. It just feels unseemly for me to turn around and start charging wargamers money for other folks' efforts.

That's when I knew that I would be giving this game away for free.

TTLM! is a gift to gamers everywhere* from all of us -- Christophe, Arnauld and myself. It's kind of like our version of a potlach.

"What's a potlach?" I hear you ask. You can check it out here.

I admit I had never heard of such a celebration until I moved to Washington state and became interested in the customs of the Coast Salish peoples. The concept of a potlach really intrigued me.

Briefly, a potlach is a big party where lots of people get together to have a damn good time. There's also a sort of competition to see who can give the most away -- it's a traditional way of redistributing goods and services. I have always enjoyed giving others gifts (when I could), so the potlach concept is right up my alley.

Hence, as in a potlach, TTLM! is our gift to you. Enjoy!

TT
Cinco de Mayo 2009

*- does not apply to publishers.

Addenda:

All parties must come to an end sometime. I hope you enjoyed our three year long potlach and that you'll continue to support TTLM!

Thanks!

TT

June 17, 2012

other Staff Briefings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.