Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: More Sympathizer questions (Sorry) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Grattan
Australia
Penshurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
1. A revealed Cylon receives the Sympathizer card and (for some reason, hubris, perhaps) elects not to pass it on to another player. Is the card ignored? Or is the 'may pass it on' a 'must'?

2. An unrevealed Cylon is moved to the Cylon location because of the Sympathizer card. Can that player subsequently reveal as a true Cylon, thereby freeing him/herself from the restrictions that apply to human Sympathizers?

Couldn't find answers to these in the Rules, FAQ or previous posts here.

Thanks.
_____

Edit: with regard to Q2, the issue does appear to have been discussed (but I don't think resolved) in the last 5 posts in this thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/395254


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As for #2, that player is stuck being the Sympathizer. They may pass that Cylon loyalty card to another player using the Resurrection Ship location. They cannot reveal themselves because Cylons cannot take actions on any cards, they can only activate their location.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Grattan
Australia
Penshurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Thanks for your answer; that makes sense. On rereading the FAQ (and another thread here), I see that this is probably implied, but it didn't register with me, so I really appreciate your answer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozgul wrote:
1. A revealed Cylon receives the Sympathizer card and (for some reason, hubris, perhaps) elects not to pass it on to another player. Is the card ignored? Or is the 'may pass it on' a 'must'?

2. An unrevealed Cylon is moved to the Cylon location because of the Sympathizer card. Can that player subsequently reveal as a true Cylon, thereby freeing him/herself from the restrictions that apply to human Sympathizers?

Couldn't find answers to these in the Rules, FAQ or previous posts here.

Thanks.
_____

Edit: with regard to Q2, the issue does appear to have been discussed (but I don't think resolved) in the last 5 posts in this thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/395254




1-
Page 19 in the rulebook...
Quote:
A player who receives this card must immediately reveal it. If
at least 1 resource is half full or lower (in the red zone), then
the player is moved to the “Brig” location. This card is then
treated as a “You Are Not a Cylon” card.


If you are a revealed cylon and you receive the Sympathizer card, then nothing happens. The Sympathizer card MUST be revealed immediately. The Ressurection location only allows you to give UNrevealed loyalty cards to other player(s) (if distance is 7 or less)

2-
I'm gonna say nope. You can however use the Ressurection Ship location to make someone else a "full-fledged cylon"
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Grattan
Australia
Penshurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
ackmondual wrote:



...

1-
Page 19 in the rulebook...
Quote:
A player who receives this card must immediately reveal it. If
at least 1 resource is half full or lower (in the red zone), then
the player is moved to the “Brig” location. This card is then
treated as a “You Are Not a Cylon” card.


If you are a revealed cylon and you receive the Sympathizer card, then nothing happens. The Sympathizer card MUST be revealed immediately. The Ressurection location only allows you to give UNrevealed loyalty cards to other player(s) (if distance is 7 or less).


So the answer to how a revealed Cylon resolves the Sympathizer card if he or she elects not to pass it is that the (Sympathizer) card is ignored (right?) The revealed Cylon can't be sent to the brig and it would be illogical to apply to it the restrictions relevant to a human Sympathizer. The only alternative would be to force the revealed Cylon to pass the card (and act in his or her objectively viewed best interests), but that would be inconsistent with the language of the rule.

Thanks for your help.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
A revealed Cylon does NOT have to pass the card on.

A revealed Sympathizer cannot reveal as a "true Cylon."

Because of this, that might be a reason why the Revealed Cylon may pass on giving away the Sympathizer card: he is unsure who the other Cylon is and is afraid of handicapping that person.

However, if an unrevealed Cylon gets passed the Sypathizer card, he always has the option of passing his own unrevealed cards to another player to get the 3rd Cylon out (assuming a 6-player game).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So to break it all down, since it's also fun to do...........

key:
cylon card = a loyalty card that states you are a CYLON
human card = a loyalty card that states you are NOT a cylon
symp = short for sympathizer card.


REVEALED CYLON gets symp card. At least one resource in the red. AFAIK, revealed cylons can never get brigged, so the effects of the symp are ignored. This player is NOT brigged, nor is he human. He remains a full fledged, revealed cylon.


REVEALED CYLON gets symp card. All resources in the blue.
Since the rules say only UNrevealed loyalty cards can be given to other players via the Ressurection Ship location, that player is essentially stuck with a sympathizer card he can't use nor give away. He's still a full fledged cylon though, having revealed earlier and gotten his super crisis card


UNrevealed cylon gets the symp card. At least one resource in the red.He goes to the brig and is still on team human. He may reveal his cylon card to become a full fledge cylon and get a super crisis.


UNrevealed cylon gets the symp card. All resources in the blue.He becomes a revealed cylon (no super crisis for him) and works for team cylon now. He may use the Ressurection Ship location to give his UNrevealed cylon card to another player
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Cole
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
REVEALED CYLON gets symp card. At least one resource in the red. AFAIK, revealed cylons can never get brigged, so the effects of the symp are ignored. This player is NOT brigged, nor is he human. He remains a full fledged, revealed cylon.


REVEALED CYLON gets symp card. All resources in the blue.
Since the rules say only UNrevealed loyalty cards can be given to other players via the Ressurection Ship location, that player is essentially stuck with a sympathizer card he can't use nor give away. He's still a full fledged cylon though, having revealed earlier and gotten his super crisis card


My understanding though is that a revealed cyclon who gets the sympathiser card always ahs the option to pass it on straightaway.

Page 19 if the rule book, first paragraph - Sympathiser Phase says 'If a player receives a "You are a sympathiser" card he must immediatly reveal it and resolve it. If he is a revealed Cylon player; then he may first give the card to any other player [who immediatly resolves it].'

So a Cylon player is never 'stuck' with the sympathiser card - he may choose to keep it though.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Adamson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Right, a revealed cylon is not stuck with the sympathizer card, and since it says "may" nor does he have to pass it on.

If he doesn't pass it on, and the resources are all blue, a plain reading of the rules mean that the revealed cylon player will follow the becoming a cylon step again. Applicable parts are that he discards down to 3 cards and is moved to the resurrection ship. He also may not activate "Cylon Fleet" or play a Super Crisis card if he has his remaining. This is probably not the intent of the rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Diaz
United States
san leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So basically a unreveiled Cylon, who gets sympathizer, and one resource is red,is screwed, because they go to the brig. And in a four player game they do not recieve a partner. or in a 6 player game they do not recieve a third. is this correct.

in our last game, 4 player, At the mid play point, distance of 4, one player recieved both the cylon card and sympathizer, so he was at huge disadvantage because, because he had no partner, he was on the brig, and had to wait three turns begore he could do anyhting. So humans won for the first time.laugh

A sort of kink in the game, but hey how many times do humans actually win
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Cole
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In this case the player should probably reveal immediatly and lose his reveal ability - its the only way he can really have a chance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.