Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
This looks tasty...
badge
Yuck!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I sat down after dinner for a game of Small World, our first.

Christy started first (as determined by Start Player). She picked up Underground Halflings (choosing them over Stout Trolls), set up her holes-in-the-ground and marked her territory.

I picked the Mounted Wizards (also bypassing the Trolls). I avoided conflict with the halflings trying to mainly gain the magic bonus for my wizards.

On her third turn, Christy put those pesky hobbitses in decline and picked the Alchemist Ghouls. I took an extra turn as the Wizards and put them in decline on turn 4. (Up to this point, I think I was in the lead in terms of victory points).

On turn four, I took a go at being the stout trolls (with the bonus money on it). And after setting up three spaces with lairs, I put them into decline after the turn (with my "stout" power). However, this removed my wizards and therefore I received very little income (3) for the turn.

I took the Wealthy Tritons the next turn and took as many land spaces next to water as I could.

It was during the second half of the game that Christy overtook me for the lead, as she switched to Bivouaking Sorcerers. And with her Ghouls being able to all stay on the board, the sorcerers demolishing my tritons left and right, she was able to gain 11-13 points per turn, while I was left with just 5-7.

I tried to mount a comeback in my last two turns as the Diplomatic Ratmen (I didn't attack Christy and tried to take as many non-Christy land spaces as I could). I wasn't sure if the diplomatic rule applied to "in decline" races and so I didn't attack any of her in-decline races until the very last turn.

Alas, it was too little too late.

The Ghoulish Half-Sorcerers outlasted the Wizarding Ratfishtrolls 92-81.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas L
msg tools
Nice report. We can see how important it can be to choose the right race at the right time.

I'd say that Stout Trolls are just begging to be picked on turn 1. Expand like crazy, decline and enjoy a fairly defended source of revenue.

Hindsight is always 20/20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can still use the Diplomatic power on a player after attacking his or her in-decline race(s). The rules state you can name as an ally any player whose Active race you did not attack that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy H
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report but passing up the stout trolls! Not what i would have done. Good report

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Chen
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
This looks tasty...
badge
Yuck!
mbmbmbmbmb
DerMauer wrote:
Nice report. We can see how important it can be to choose the right race at the right time.

I'd say that Stout Trolls are just begging to be picked on turn 1. Expand like crazy, decline and enjoy a fairly defended source of revenue.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Found out the power of "Stout" during this first game. It was a bit of a hard lesson to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.