Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
44 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: You Be the Judge! Name the Best and Worst Wargames in the Collection rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
In the same vein as Tell the joker above yah which wargame in his collection should next hit the table!, here's another thread which involves a little detective work.

I'm asking you to review the list of wargames owned by the previous poster, then list the games which, in your opinion, are the best and worst of the previous poster's collection.

In honor of the previous thread's author...
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

...I'll go over his list.

Andrew, despite apparently being an Avalanche Press fanboy (and a slave to Vassal), you do have some solid games. The one I think is the best from your lot would probably be The Civil War. Truly, a classic wargame.

Your collection of Avalanche games offers up a lot of fodder for many wargamers. I will have to pull one of them, and pick Panzer Grenadier: Airborne (Introductory Edition) as the worst of your wargames. Many people say it's just easier to jump into one of the other, larger and more comprehensive Panzer Grenadier boxed sets. I would tend to agree.

EDIT: Good luck to the brave soul willing to pour over my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy for me:

Best wargame: ASL - those who have played it know why. The scenarios are tense, have a great replayability, the system has proofed to be solid after oh-so-many-years.

Worst: IMHO Conflict of Heroes (yes, I know I will be burnt on the stake for this) because the whole thing looks like a cheap rip-off of gamesystems like ASL; ATS, PG, L&L etc. (and the boards warp ! yuk )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hughes
Australia
Surfers Paradise
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best is difficult - you have many great games. So let's pick a classic
Paths of Glory

Worst is easy - Wacht Am Rhein. This one is just a mess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, for David Hughes this are my picks.

For best game, although I can strongly feel your preferences towards ASL, if we all chosed ASL this would have no fun at all. I'll go with a current favourite of mine....Fields of Fire.

For the worst game (truly awesome your collection) I'll have to go for The Campaign for North Africa It is not a game, therefore it is the worst game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
for Antonio
hmm, nice games!

best is easily : Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1 Ilove the SKs

worst, hmm, I would go with Panzer Grenadier: The East Front as I dislike the ineffectual CRT and the move or fire mechanic , nice counters however.

EDIT : for the guy below, I forgot I traded away CC for Battlelore and 3 expansions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
For Robert, the best is easy: Combat Commander (take that ASL! )!

The worst is tougher: I'll pick Second World War at Sea, just because I don't like naval games!

Robin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin I think your best game is World in Flames . I like strategic games! I think your worst game is Battle Cry. I dont care much for wargame light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Schneider
Germany
Brühl
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your best is definitely Afrika (second edition), and your worst is The Great War in Europe: Deluxe Edition. I really hate Ted Racier's designs, and this is his worst.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
DAK2 I think is the best, but frankly any OCS title would do . As for the bad, well I'd probably go with Memoir 44, not a bad game, but frankly your collection is pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Russ
United States
Marshall
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colin,

Great collection of games!

I have to go with Case Blue as the best. Endangered Species as the worst.

Cheers,
Jason
www.wargamedepot.com

PS - now I wish my collection was updated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason,

The Devil's Cauldron is the best (and thanks for making it available at a price I could afford). You have a lot of great games, just about all that I like. I don't really care for block games, but just because I don't like something doesn't mean it's bad, so I'll pick Guns of August as your worst. I bought the game shortly after it was released, expected to enjoy it, but it's never been able to hold my interest.

Autumnweave: Imagine how I feel about Stand and Die -- I paid the full $60 when it was released (in 1991!)! (And I agree with your assessment of it. I was expecting someone to pick Kriegspiel, but Stand and Die is a better choice.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Milgate,

Well I'd pick ASL or Devil's Cauldron, but those are going to be popular choices.

So instead I'm going to go with Midway because it was simple, accessible, and has a great hidden movement system. It paved the way for a lot of games after it. I got it in high school 30 years ago, and still want to get friends to play.

For the worst I'd like to pick Stand & Die: The Battle of Borodino, 1941 (which I also have). I think that this could have been better in many ways starting with the size of the box. I think that I paid about $2 for it, and am still feeling sorry for myself about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J

Mt Crawford
Virginia
msg tools
Weak Sleeper / Autumn Weaver,
Man that is a LOT of games!

But I would pick SPQR (Deluxe Edition) as the finest of the whole crop. An incredible innovative game system, largely responsible IMHO for the popularity of the era amongst wargamers since the 1990's, applied to the crux of the era where you find the most interesting ancient military tactical systems fighting one another. Then the deluxe version comes along giving you all those expansion battles in one box. Just awesome.

It is very hard to go through a list that large and find the worst, but my initial guess after a quick look might be Ambush! just out of personal bias against the concept?

J.L.Robert wrote:
an Avalanche Press fanboy (and a slave to Vassal)
Oddly, and amusingly, I can not think of a more self-contradictory statement than the juxtaposition of these two!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Wagnon
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Cybertronic: Superior by design.
mbmbmbmbmb
YoungGrognard,

I believe your best is Gringo!. Great system, tons of battles, and the armies really are different. Enough chrome to allow for really good feel for the battles, but not so fiddly as to be unplayable. Plus, I think the Mexican American War is a fascinating conflict, and introduces the major players in the ACW a couple of decades later.

Your worst, and I really do mean it, is Non-Violent, Politically-Correct War. Ultimately, just a rehased kids game with some gimmicky humor (or lack thereof).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franklin
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MadBrad, I'll have to say that 1777: The Year of the Hangman is your worst, while For the People is probably your best. Although, to be fair, you have quite an impressive collection and I feel humbled trying to judge it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
Washington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul,

Your best game is probably Panzerblitz 2: Hill of Death (close behind is Red Star Rising).

Worst game is Rise of the Roman Republic. What a mess of DRMs, and the political rules were a nightmare too.

BTW, far too many Euro games, you need to up the wargame percentage!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sir Jeff Schulte,
For worst, I'll have to go with World War 3, largely by default because I've never heard of it.

For best, it's a toss up between World at War: Eisenbach Gap, which is an all out fun game, and Red Star Rising: The War in Russia, 1941-1944, which I don't have but slightly lust after (just don't have table space for the maps).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Franco,

You might not know it yet, but clearly Hammer of the Scots is your best game. And without a doubt Zombies!!! isn't worth it's weight in cow dung. oh how I hate that game - all those cool figures wasted.

You have good taste in music as well...

EDIT: Oh My!! Who's games was I looking at then?!? blush

But easily fixed - your best game apparently also happens to be mine: Combat Commander: Europe. Now you just need to play it.

Worse - well that isn't to hard -- Monopoly: Star Wars. What were you thinking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cathan wrote:
Franco,

You might not know it yet,

You're right. Do I own those games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael - I'll let you redo Franco's best and worse.

In terms of your best, we have a tie! Europe Engulfed and Friedrich

Worst? Hate to do it but have to go with Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42 CoH isn't so terrible, but it's the weakest wargame in your collection.

By the way, these threads are a good idea, but in some ways rather limiting since it seems disruptive to jump in and comment on other folks' choices.

A geeklist may be a better format, so we can comment on an entry without messing up the sequence.

Who wants to start it out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew - you have quite the collection there!

Although I'd pick Twilight Struggle, I don't want to see the eternal flame war of "yes it is, no it isn't" a wargame, so I'll go with Combat Commander: Europe. I only recently got a chance to play this and I can see the tremendous potential in the system.

For the worst, I'll have to go with PanzerBlitz. It's a classic, but it's flawed. I have fond nostalgic memories of it, but I wouldn't play it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't say "fanboy"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Cleitus the Black wrote:

A geeklist may be a better format, so we can comment on an entry without messing up the sequence.

Who wants to start it out?

Done! http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/42351
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
For the worst, I'll have to go with PanzerBlitz. It's a classic, but it's flawed. I have fond nostalgic memories of it, but I wouldn't play it again.

While I don't actually own PB, I recently played for the first time and couldn't agree more.

I do own Panzer Leader, which I have only for nostalgia as it was the first wargame I ever owned, and the new Panzerblitz: Hill of Death which I hope to get to the table soon (and which simply must be better than its progenitor).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so my best would be ASL by a large degree, my worst...hmmmm...well I would have to say Panzer Grenadier: Eastern Front, I red the rulebook and I played a bit...it just doesn't do it for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.