Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doobermite
United States
Chester County
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Ystari's games, my favorite being Amyitis. I also love pick-up and deliver games, one of my favorites is Mesopotamia. Given this, Bombay should be an immediate buy for me. But so far it seems, given the ratings here, that people are not enthusistic over this latest release.

I wonder if it's just that it is a relatively light game. That would actually be a nice addition to the Ystari line. I want to purchase this game but haven't been sufficiently pushed over to the "must buy" side yet.

It's ok if the game is light and quick, but not ok if it's broken.
Has anyone really enjoyed this game so far? If not, why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it with both 3 and 5. Works well with both numbers. The game is quite short; only 30 minutes.

I think that it's quite an elegant little pick up and deliver. Some might not enjoy the random "stock market" of the game, but it's so short I cannot imagine caring.

I've never played a pick up and deliver with such a short play time. It's really a ton of bang for your buck.

Perhaps the production levels have lead people to believe that there is a longer deeper game to be had, and were disappointed to find that is not the case.

Our whole group really liked it and has already requested it for tonight's gaming session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hemsley
Italy
Desio
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would add that it is remarkably deep for the length. You really need to manage the situation on the board, over your own long-term strategy. It actually reminds me of Tikal, too, because of the action points and wanting to do more, but being restricted by them.

The length of the game is a big plus and you really can't go wrong for the length of playing combined with the interesting mechanics (and cool bits!).

--James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
I have only played a few 3-player games of this, but with a quick game time and good strategic decisions each turn, my group really enjoyed it. For a game of this length, there are a surprising number of viable options available to remain competitive in the game. Also, if the random market goods each round is not appealing for some gamers, I can think of several variants that could be used to minimize this aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bharath Allam
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a 3-player game as well and all of us enjoyed it. Looking forward to playing again. Quick, not complex but isn't light either and plays quickly with great bits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the game to be too chaotic with 5 players.
The game is best with 4 players, and acceptable with 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doobermite
United States
Chester County
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments.
Bombay awaits my purchase tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Ornella
Germany
Malschenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I would add that Bombay is really more deep than Mesopotamia!
Go for it! You'll love it.

emanuele
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
- but of course not as deep as Fantasy Pub

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Keen
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
www.punkzter.blogspot.com
badge
It's a horse. On a chair.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
- but of course not as deep as Fantasy Pub

I concur. For a truly deep "pick up and deliver" game, nothing beats drunk fantasy characters trying to pickup beers and stumble their way out of the pub!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Torvatn
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:

I think that it's quite an elegant little pick up and deliver. Some might not enjoy the random "stock market" of the game, but it's so short I cannot imagine caring.

I have not played this game, but I want to point out that it is possible to use a lot less skill in short games than in long ones. Therefore it is much less likely that skill will overcome luck in a short game. Thus I will care a lot more about luck in short games than in long ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karis Shem
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
But in Bombay, you need some skill and there's not much luck.
For me luck in Bombay is only statistics : if you want absolutely a yellow bale from the bag and you can see that 2 yellows are already on elephant's bags, then you're totally playing with luck ! But if you want a blue, with no blue bales in sight, you will have it in most cases. I will post some figures soon about the odds of drawing a certain color, and you will see that clever replacement is also a part of the strategy in this game...

REgards,
Cyril
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.