Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Erb
United States
Parkersburg
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would there be any issues with using D&D minis maps with a 4E game? The reason I ask,some older grid maps for D&D don't give pieces enough room to move and so really aren't useful for 4E style combat. Has anyone encountered any issues with using maps made for the minis game with the new 4E combat rules?

ME

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing as how they got me with the ol' bait 'n switch by reusing minis maps in Keep on the Shadowfell (two of the six maps were previously released), Wizards thinks they work just fine.

As a DM I would think that maps that restrict movement & force characters to be creative about fighting their way out of sub-optimal terrain would be a Good Thing -- get 'em boxed into a choke-point, pinch off half their maneuver-related powers and go for the TPK.

As a player I would love such a challenge instead of just looping a toolbox of powers ad nauseam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sloan
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine is a 4E DM and he uses the maps and map tiles without issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hoskins
United States
OKC
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
merb101 wrote:
Would there be any issues with using D&D minis maps with a 4E game? The reason I ask,some older grid maps for D&D don't give pieces enough room to move and so really aren't useful for 4E style combat. Has anyone encountered any issues with using maps made for the minis game with the new 4E combat rules?

ME

Chris and RS bring up good points. (Thanks for the heads-up Chris on Keep on the Shadowfell)

Its interesting to note that each of the DDM Map packs (Dungeons & Dragons Fantastic Locations: Fane of the Drow et cetera) comes with 2 double sided maps - 4 maps total. 2 of the maps are geared for skirmish games, 1 for epic ( 500-point skirmish using Huge models (figures mounted on 3x3 bases )) The 4th map is non-skirmish legal (meaning there aren't designated start/scoring areas and usually some terrain feature not defined by the DDM skirmish rules) and is geared specifically for RPG use. I have three of the 5 sets released and really enjoy them.

Many of the maps provide interesting backdrops for combat. There are well illustrated, often have lush details and lots of choke points, LOS deadzones and challenging terrain.

The Epic maps are nice for higher level adventures featuring Huge monsters. There is ample space for Huge models to manuever, but there are still some tacitcally interesting aspects to each map.

There are upwards of 24 published DDM maps so you have a lot of variety. Add in the odd Tile set ( from the 3E DT range or the current DU range ) and you're cookin' with gas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.