Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: Love the game; HATE the tiny little discs... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lo Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really dislike the little tiny discs in this game - does anyone have an alternative that is easier to handle and that won;t roll around accidentally?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently working on a homebrew that uses full-size cards, centimeter-size cubes for resources, and polymer-clay figures for workers. But I still have a lot of work to do with it.

I didn't like the little, round counters, either, but decided to incorporate all the improvements I would prefer, in the same effort.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the 3rd edition is supposed to be better? But, yeah, the little round discs are a pain. Even if they'd been square, they'd have been easier to handle. (And, less good at escaping.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lo Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
I'm currently working on a homebrew that uses full-size cards, centimeter-size cubes for resources, and polymer-clay figures for workers. But I still have a lot of work to do with it.

I didn't like the little, round counters, either, but decided to incorporate all the improvements I would prefer, in the same effort.


Wow! Post some photos!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LoMa wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:
I'm currently working on a homebrew that uses full-size cards, centimeter-size cubes for resources, and polymer-clay figures for workers. But I still have a lot of work to do with it.

I didn't like the little, round counters, either, but decided to incorporate all the improvements I would prefer, in the same effort.


Wow! Post some photos!


I'm hesitant to do that before it's complete, but let me think about it.

If anyone is thinking about doing the same, let me just say it's going to be expensive, because there are hundreds of cards to print out. (I'm using the punch-out cards available for inkjet printers: http://www.plaincards.com/store/shopdisplaycategories.asp.)

Not to mention a new board, and new player mats, and the polymer-clay figures. The centimer cubes are relatively cheap - the plastic ones available through educational products companies.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
Ulm
Ba-Wü
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In the German edition, these discs are octagonal.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use tiny glass beads like the original edition. They are just as difficult to pick up, but do not roll around. They also slide easier, which is what I do. I just slide the resources/food to and from my bank to the cards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LoMa wrote:
Wow! Post some photos!


As requested.


4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work, particularly the cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff
United States
Western Great Lakes - Owashtinong Aajigaaning
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
LoMa wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:
I'm currently working on a homebrew that uses full-size cards, centimeter-size cubes for resources, and polymer-clay figures for workers. But I still have a lot of work to do with it.

I didn't like the little, round counters, either, but decided to incorporate all the improvements I would prefer, in the same effort.


Wow! Post some photos!


I'm hesitant to do that before it's complete, but let me think about it.

If anyone is thinking about doing the same, let me just say it's going to be expensive, because there are hundreds of cards to print out. (I'm using the punch-out cards available for inkjet printers: http://www.plaincards.com/store/shopdisplaycategories.asp.)

Not to mention a new board, and new player mats, and the polymer-clay figures. The centimer cubes are relatively cheap - the plastic ones available through educational products companies.


And ya might have to throw out your box insert.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.