Dorian Hawkins
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi y'all

I've FINALLY finished the Revision Pack and the full Second Edition conversion.

It is available for download at http://www.oroborus.biz/Home01.html. Please let me know what you think!

FYI: the Second Edition has some substantial changes. If you aren't interested, I've trimmed them out and updated the Revision Pack with the new stuff, without the craziness

I'm in the process of creating a Bonus Pack, which has 4 new characters, some new and alternative Power Ups, alternative Ally cards (so you can pull out duplicate Ally cards of new character cards) and some new Villain cards.

Oh and that board piece...that'll be coming soon

Best Regards

Dorian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorian Hawkins
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A special thanks to Steve Crow and his group for much, MUCH feedback and constructive criticism!

And to my Canadian Clone (you know who you are ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorian Hawkins
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick notice to anyone who may have downloaded the Second Edition or the Revised v3 pack... I've managed to do an error on Jean Grey's card. This is fixed now. I'll be uploading the amended pack and also an errated solo download of Jean Grey on her own.

Will post link when I can.

Also, traffic on the site has been way over my expectations! I'm sorting out a deal with the host to provide more bandwith, so bear with me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Rodman
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorian Hawkins
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I'm sorting this out with my service provider. Just waiting on them to get back to me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnauld DELLA SIEGA
France
FRANCE
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
If you want me to temporarly host your file, feel free to contact me.

(I love this game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorian Hawkins
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! It shouldn't be a problem, once it is sorted.... I have a good deal with a service provider (money-wise), only I have the feeling that it is someone with a server in their back room

When I started getting a lot of traffic, I asked to upgrade my package but they said "Don't worry about it, I'll just up your bandwith limit as required and I won't charge you any more".

That was ok until I started getting a LOT of traffic... I mean, since I went live with this stuff last night, I've had 1.5 GB of downloads...

I'll give it a few hours and if there's nothing doing, I'll contact them again...

I'll keep you updated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorian Hawkins
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We have liftoff (er...bandwith)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dedeaux
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question (is this a typo, or am I reading it wrong?):

1.3.2.2 MINIMUM TROUBLE

If the Trouble Level cannot be less than the highest level Ready Hero, even if the HITS generated are less or skills would otherwise reduce it.

Is that "If" clause meant to be there? It's a bit confusing (maybe because I haven't played the base game enough to know the rules well).

btw, thanks for attempting this rework of the rules! I am reading through it. Looks interesting. Not sure how I plan to print all this out! :O
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorian Hawkins
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How did that pesky if get in there? you are quite right, it is a typo. The Trouble Level cannot be less than the highest hero in the Troubleshooting action.

Keep the feedback flowing!

And you are very welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So as someone who hasn't looked at your work before, do I just get the Second Edition download? I'm not sure if I can ever get all of the new material printed out, but I'd still like to look it over and see what you've done. Like yourself, I just know there's a great game hiding in here somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorian Hawkins
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well my advice is DL the Second Edition because that has the full rules and upgrades in there. The Revised Pack is pretty much the basic game with brass knobs on (principally making the Story Deck more relevant). The SE is probably MY realisation of the game's potential but I stress that my ideas are probably not to everyone's liking.

But for people such as yourself, definitely the SE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorian Hawkins
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a game last night and it went well, however, it did uncover one or two errors and things that needed clsrification:

- Spider-man is missing a fist symbol on his Spider Sense ability.

- Story Actions: when rolling to resolve Hotspots and Story cards, you may add 1 or more HITs to your result by paying 1 Plot Point per HIT.

E.g. Emma Frost attempts to resolve the Mutant Politics story card. It has a Chsllenge of ANY, so she rolls her Mystery 2. She scores 2 HITs. She decides to pay 1 Plot Point to add 1 HIT bringing her result to 3. She now successfully resolved the Story card.

- During the "Determine Lead Villain" step,
Villain players always draw 2 Villain cards instead of 1.

- Mephisto's DARK BARGAIN: this ability occurs as an additional Scheming action. If the hero player accepts, cancel the Troubleshooting action: the hero player successfully resolves the Headline and Mephisto gains a Master Plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorian Hawkins
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in the process of updating the cards/rules. Will post them as a list of individual downloads on my forum, in addition to updating the SE download pack.

Hopefully get it done tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Mulski
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow what good timing for me, i only check up on this game every few months and to my surprise someone has created a second edition. I quickly printed it all off and told the group that we're going back in with a few changes. So far we've played three games with the second edition rules and i have to say that i love the new story cards,this was a more then welcome addition and finally made a relevant rule /card that makes the group care about the story cards. The plot twists add an interesting new dimension to the game, i know this because boy was my group surprised when Emma wasn't really ko'd. The new ch.s and masterminds are probably the best part of the second edition, i thank you for keeping all the attacks in the appropriate rating range,and for the additional allies as to not have black panther as this own help.

When playing by the new rule set we did run into 2 issues, the first was card flow, in the all games we played we only went thru about 12-20 resource cards and about 24-30 villain cards per game with 4 players, this made allies and hero powers rare at best and caused the villains to come up short in moments where they could of capitalized. The other problem is that there was nothing to do so u had to pass your turn, the group felt that it was wasted. This problem occurred when, on the second action round the player challenges the headlines and loses to the mastermind/lead villain, well on the third turn they can heal, but as for the fourth and fifth your left to just pass, where by the old rule set u could just take 2 story actions and collect a few resource cards.

To try and help with both these problems, in are next game we will play with one new rule and that is to allow support heroes to take a story action. That would allow them to solve hotspots with or without a ready hero, and if u had a ready hero with them u could just use whoever has the better rating, as well as having a better chance for boosting. All and all this is a great revision of the game, and i think it'll be a permanent change to how we'll play it in the future
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorian Hawkins
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there!

Thank you very much for the kind words. Such excellent feedback (and ego boost ) makes it all worthwhile!

Your point about "lack of things to do" and not enough Resource cards are two very valid points!

One of the changes I have made is: whenever Villain players draw cards, they draw 2 instead. Since the Villain deck consists of approximately 50% villain/agent cards, this seems to work quite well.

I like your suggestion about allowing Support characters to take Story actions. How about I codify things a bit better?

- Split the current Story action in to two: Crimefighting actions and Story actions.
- Crimefighting Actions target Hotspots and resolve in the standard way.
- Story Actions target Story cards and resolve in the standard way.
- Ready characters can take Troubleshooting Actions and Crimefighting Actions.
- Supporting characters can take Crimefighting Actions and Story Actions.

One problem I foresee is that Supporting characters performing Crimefighting actions is a huge benefit; a Supporting character can move to the board with a Ready character as a free action and then choose from 4 Hotspots, as opposed to a Ready character who has 1 and would need to take 1 action to move to a new area!

My solution to this is that as soon as a Ready character enters an Area, the Hotspot is turned over. That seems reasonable. But I think it needs a bit more oomph: a Ready character performing a Crimefighting action gains 1 automatic HIT.

So a Supporting character could potentially move to the board, do three Crimefighting actions and then return to Recovery. Whereas a Ready hero would move to an area, do a Crimefighting action, move to a new area, do another Crimefighting action and then return to Recovery. They effectively lose 1 Crimefighting action and can cost way more Plot Points.

The basic idea of Hotspots was to give the board some credibility by having little missions you have to resolve to gain cards and to also give your level 1 characters stuff to do later in the game, as they tend to be largely irrelevent when you are fighting off a hoard of villains.

Being cheap and having good Ratings means that the Level 1s are the best at sorting out the little problems while the Thor's and Silver Surfer's are better off resolving the bigger issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Mulski
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yes drawing 2 villain cards would help that out quite a bit and i think that it would solve the problem of not having enough of those cards. This will definitely allow Mr. Sinister to be sinister.

With hotspots, i thought that you only placed one per area (as mentioned in your rules ), and to define what an area was i used the old rules, where they say that each area has a different colour and that each district in the same area has a different symbol. A hotspot was like a headline and that when the ready hero moved into a district they could either challenge the headline or the hotspot of the area. So by how are hotspots were used you would only have one per area and the support ch.would still have to take a turn to moving from area to area. Also like the headline we replaced them in the issue phase.

I like the idea of calling a hotspot resolution a Crimefighting action and classifying the actions into what the ready/support heroes can do. Allowing the Support heroes to solve both hotspots or story cards will defintely solve the heroes idle hands. If the hotspots were only placed one in each area then i think the benefit of the support hero would be reduce and then u wouldn't have to give the automatic 1 hit to the ready heroes. But if were suppose to place one hotspot on each district and not replace them, then maybe we'll have to try that first before thinking of change the rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorian Hawkins
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have I got my terms mixed up? Oh dear! Haha!

I thought the board was divided in to colour coded Districts, which were further subdivided into Areas?

For clarification, there should be one Hotspot on every space on the board.

Looks like I have some things to alter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey Velkov
Bulgaria
Doganovo
Elin Pelin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure whether this is even the right place for this, but here it goes:

I downloaded the files several minutes ago and noticed something strange about Elektra:
Her yellow attack (ninjutsu) is clearly weaker that her orange attack (martial arts). The difference is that ninjutsu has one less defence that the martial arts. In the other two attrubutes both stances are the same.

I have not played the game. but as far as now you just pick whatever stance you judge best, no limitation. So I am either wrong/misunderstood, or there is a slight problem with Elektra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Jensen
United States
Belgrade
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very well done... I'm loving the new rules, expecially the new characters and master minds.

Thanks for putting in some effort to make the game better.

Judd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorian Hawkins
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your kind words! I hope you get some mileage out of it all!

I'm just going over the Rival Villains with the SE card design. Currently there are 16 RVs (5 level 1/3, 6 level 2/2 and 5 3/3). I was thinking of increasing this to 22. Any suggestions for new RVs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorian Hawkins
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Twilightling wrote:
I am not sure whether this is even the right place for this, but here it goes:

I downloaded the files several minutes ago and noticed something strange about Elektra:
Her yellow attack (ninjutsu) is clearly weaker that her orange attack (martial arts). The difference is that ninjutsu has one less defence that the martial arts. In the other two attrubutes both stances are the same.

I have not played the game. but as far as now you just pick whatever stance you judge best, no limitation. So I am either wrong/misunderstood, or there is a slight problem with Elektra.

The statistics are right. Most characters (not all!) are weaker in one Combat Power but this is dependent on their other statistics, e.g. Danger/Crime/Mystery Ratings, no of KOs etc.

Elektra is indeed weaker in her Yellow Combat Power, however, she does have that excellent Ready Power! If she were any stronger, she'd be devastating and she's only level 1!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey Velkov
Bulgaria
Doganovo
Elin Pelin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DTHz wrote:
Hi!
The statistics are right. Most characters (not all!) are weaker in one Combat Power but this is dependent on their other statistics, e.g. Danger/Crime/Mystery Ratings, no of KOs etc.

Elektra is indeed weaker in her Yellow Combat Power, however, she does have that excellent Ready Power! If she were any stronger, she'd be devastating and she's only level 1!

Yep I did not read the power, and this is how my confusion came to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorian Hawkins
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
*sigh* looks like my bandwith is about to run out again... you guys have eaten through 8GB in a week!

I am in the process of re-negotiating a new webhosting package with my current host. If it falls through, I will be looking for a new host...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorian Hawkins
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Server issues should be sorted now. Just in the process of doing a massive update to the SE.

Will let you know when I'm done. This will include 11 new Rival Villains;

1/1 Rivals

Hammerhead
Crossbones
Lady Bullseye
Batroc the Leaper

2/2 Rivals

Molten Man
Hobgoblin
Blackout

3/3 Rivals

Count Nefaria
Baron Mordo
Cassandra Nova
Ulik the Troll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.