Popular Tags: [View All]
Benny
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
Everyone likes a piece of pie.
badge
That's wonderful. Good for you! I've always wanted to have a haunted house. It's been my lifelong dream!
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was watching BBC America and they had a commercial with some girl going off script in her school play and telling us to expect more from our governemt. A bit hackneyed but I thought I would check out the sight -- www.thewaytohappiness.org.

This is a whole new type of crazy to me but the videos are pretty entertaining. I think I would swallow my tongue if they started teaching this in a school my son was attending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
#19 would be a lot better if it had guns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a sort of front organization for Scientology. Maybe you already knew that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
That's wonderful. Good for you! I've always wanted to have a haunted house. It's been my lifelong dream!
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
This is a sort of front organization for Scientology. Maybe you already knew that.

I had no idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Benjro wrote:

This is a whole new type of crazy to me but the videos are pretty entertaining. I think I would swallow my tongue if they started teaching this in a school my son was attending.

Okay, I admit, I didn't watch the videos. Somewhere around here I have the original pamphlet from 1980 though. I couldn't find one of those things that I didn't work hard to teach my grown kids and I'm currently working hard to instill similar values in my 6 year old.

What's the problem? Which of those things don't you want your children to learn and/or aspire to?

*update*

I watched video #20 "Treat others as you would want them to treat you". Now I am totally mystified why you wouldn't want your kids learning or being exposed to this concept. Unless, you prefer to do it yourself, which is fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Benjro wrote:

Okay, I admit, I didn't watch the videos. Somewhere around here I have the original pamphlet from 1980 though. I couldn't find one of those things that I didn't work hard to teach my grown kids and I'm currently working hard to instill similar values in my 6 year old.

What's the problem? Which of those things don't you want your children to learn and/or aspire to?

*update*

I watched video #20 "Treat others as you would want them to treat you". Now I am totally mystified why you wouldn't want your kids learning or being exposed to this concept. Unless, you prefer to do it yourself, which is fine.

Well, I don't think any of the values they espouse are on their face wrong. However, the videos are cheap sloganeering and not really meaningful. Plus they are ridiculous...did you see the one where a kid pulls a gun on another student because a girl told a lie?

My town adopted a program a few years back that was similar. We had a value for each month that was summed up by a single word and a definition. This word was on billboards and newspapers in big bold letters. A college professor said it reminded him a great deal of when he visits China.

You are correct that I would rather be the one teaching my child what to value and hopefully I'd do it with a bit more finesse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarrhh, too many to remember! Give me like, three things. I might remember three things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:

I feel the same way about those LDS PSA "commercials." They don't bring up their religion at all, they just give a nice little be-good-to-others type message.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

I feel the same way about those LDS PSA "commercials." They don't bring up their religion at all, they just give a nice little be-good-to-others type message.

Yeah... I like those too. My view is that these churches are somewhat "obligated" to speak out and not have a direct recruitment tie-in to the message. Most of the PSA's I've seen sponsored by the LDS church probably seemed obvious to people who already make those efforts in their lives, but there are plenty of folks who don't get positive messages from friends and family.

I'm pretty neutral when considering the source. Also, I wouldn't object to any school my kid attends promoting these traits so long as there was no "hook" to a religion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Always made me wonder why televangelists spent so much money on extravagant studio sets and broadcast facilities to beam their healing services across the world, when a 15 second PSA would have done a much better job.

How would a PSA do a better job of generating income for the preacher?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Always made me wonder why televangelists spent so much money on extravagant studio sets and broadcast facilities to beam their healing services across the world, when a 15 second PSA would have done a much better job.

How would a PSA do a better job of generating income for the preacher?

Generating personal income wasn't supposed to be the goal. Allegedly.

Yes.

Good works would be the point. Both the LDS church and Scientology have plenty of money. Both are tax free non-profit organizations. That's why, in my view anyway, they have an obligation to attempt good works with no direct connection to adding members or getting a tithe.

That's not to say that if you call about the LDS ads or respond to the Way to Happiness web site you won't be sent some materials as in inducement. I think that's okay too... it doesn't invalidate the message.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Generating personal income wasn't supposed to be the goal. Allegedly.

But if you wonder why they do what they do, then you have to look at their real motivations.

Probably you were being a bit disingenuous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
That's not to say that if you call about the LDS ads or respond to the Way to Happiness web site you won't be sent some materials as in inducement. I think that's okay too... it doesn't invalidate the message.

It's pretty clear that the purpose of the Way to Happiness is to spend tax-exempt money to suck people in and eventually convince them they need Scientology to suck money out of their wallets. Not much different than most churches, I'm not sure this sort of thing should be tax-exempt, but I use the charitable tax laws for my own purposes that other people might not agree with, I'm hardly going to throw stones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

It's pretty clear that the purpose of the Way to Happiness is to spend tax-exempt money to suck people in and eventually convince them they need Scientology to suck money out of their wallets. Not much different than most churches, I'm not sure this sort of thing should be tax-exempt, but I use the charitable tax laws for my own purposes that other people might not agree with, I'm hardly going to throw stones.

Well, to be fair David... and we all know you value fairness... there are only two things a group can do: expand or contract. The goal of any organization is always to expand. The LDS ads have been around for quite a few years, which leads me to think that may be effective for the Mormon church. Not only is their message a good one for general use, but if it attracts new members to their church that's okay by me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benjro wrote:

Well, I don't think any of the values they espouse are on their face wrong. However, the videos are cheap sloganeering and not really meaningful. Plus they are ridiculous...did you see the one where a kid pulls a gun on another student because a girl told a lie?

The video seems pretty accurate to me....

Lie to me and I will fucking kill you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
The goal of any organization is always to expand.

No, actually it isn't always that way.

Evolution tends to favor the organizations that seek to grow over those that don't, for obvious reasons. But there are lots of the latter type too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
I thought those videos were great. Some were more effective than other. Some of them were silly and hyperbolic. I don't fault them for that. The format demands a degree of simplicity and hyperbole. Any organization that promotes healthy and positive values gets my approval. Seek out truth wherever it is to be found I say.

And David, your flippant dismissal of this is annoying to me. In your RSPer thread, you stated that you value volunteerism over menial paid work. That seems to indicate that you think there are values and works one should espouse and promote independent of concern for personal gain. Here we have an example of some organization that is promoting a values based lifestyle. In response you suppose they could only be doing so to line their pockets as if there could be no other motivation. What selfless cause do you promote? Is it equally worthy of dismissal? You say that Scientologists are behind it. I don't know one way or another. Whoever it is, they are promoting peace and prosperity. They do not deserve ridicule. They deserve praise. There isn't enough of this kind of thing.

Having said all of that, I do think that personal choices in personal lives are more powerful than PR campaigns ever can be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sky Knight X wrote:
Aarrhh, too many to remember! Give me like, three things. I might remember three things.

You really only need two. Bill and Ted were kind enough to provide a complete guide to life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Drew1365 wrote:
Wrayman wrote:
You say that Scientologists are behind it. I don't know one way or another.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Way_to_Happiness

Now you do.

Well there you go.

The LDS churches PSA campaign has been brought up here. The one point of criticism I would make relating to the OP is that The Way to Happiness is not up front about who they are like the LDS church is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The website does mention that it was written by L. Ron Hubbard however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrayman wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Wrayman wrote:
You say that Scientologists are behind it. I don't know one way or another.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Way_to_Happiness

Now you do.

Well there you go.

The LDS churches PSA campaign has been brought up here. The one point of criticism I would make relating to the OP is that The Way to Happiness is not up front about who they are like the LDS church is.

I think that is a major consideration. I also think that the LDS PSAs were pretty benign. I mean they never started giving the Ten Commandments as ways to live...they were always more practical and addressed things that I think very few people would find objectionable.

But this seems different and a little creepy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
SO tell me, why would I want to spend good money for an organization to tell me that the way to happiness is common sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
Derailment Alert! Derailment Alert! Proceed with engagement at your own risk!

True. But I was starting to get interested in David's lecture on "organizations" that evolve and increase their survival potential through shrinking.

Buggy Whip manufacturers devolving into a niche hobby company?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Quote:
Derailment Alert! Derailment Alert! Proceed with engagement at your own risk!

True. But I was starting to get interested in David's lecture on "organizations" that evolve and increase their survival potential through shrinking.

Buggy Whip manufacturers devolving into a niche hobby company?

Tripp--

If only you would have shrunk your game store than you would be the "King of Idaho" by now. Well, I guess hindsight is 20/20

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:

Huh? It's no wonder that threads get derailed when people lie about what I said. I wrote that there are many organizations that aspire to grow, and many that don't, and the ones that do aspire to grow tend to get favored, but there are still plenty of the latter despite that. There are lots of mom and pop stores that don't have any aspiration to grow into franchises, for example. The fact that franchises do tend to grow while the mom and pop stores don't doesn't mean the latter don't exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.