• [+] Dice rolls
Dom L
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
READ A BOOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps this was the one time to not bet on Duke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Yah - it's a bit sad that the game won't see the light of day.

Here's the 2001 demo - where I thought the game was at its best:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Howell                (What's Right?) (What's Wrong?)        
United States
Canoga Park
California
flag msg tools
Brought to you by Zik Zak
badge
Brought to you by Zik Zak
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad that you were a part of something that gave so many people hope and something to look forward to, but if it ever were released, it would have only been a couple of years and DNF would have wound up collecting dust on a shelf due to being over played and/or the consoles it ran on were obsolete and no longer being used for day to day gaming.

My kitchen table still holds my copy of Acquire just fine, and I have no problem bring new people into my hobby with old games and a great endless source of information and expansion of enjoyment of those games here on the geek.

Thank you for being part of something wonderful, and then topping it with BGG Forever!

oh, by the way, it's your turn. I dare you to merge Continental. ...and pass the potato chips, please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigh, this reminds me of, well, 1996, when LAN was the end all in gaming. When your opponent sat across the cubicle wheel and you could hear where they were. No other game combined humour and violence in such perfect harmony. That said, long live BGG. It has wasted far more company bandwidth than Duke Nukem could have dreamed of!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom L
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
READ A BOOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
badgeguy wrote:
I'm glad that you were a part of something that gave so many people hope and something to look forward to, but if it ever were released, it would have only been a couple of years and DNF would have wound up collecting dust on a shelf due to being over played and/or the consoles it ran on were obsolete and no longer being used for day to day gaming.

My kitchen table still holds my copy of Acquire just fine, and I have no problem bring new people into my hobby with old games and a great endless source of information and expansion of enjoyment of those games here on the geek.

I think it's a nice sentiment you're expressing but that's an odd way to express it. It's like someone in 1910 saying that in a couple years nobody will watch an old film, and books will always be able to be re-read and bring new people to reading. Space Invaders is over 30 years old now, but sit down with it (or better yet, stand up with it) and it's still amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
badgeguy wrote:

rocketkiwi wrote:
I think it's a nice sentiment you're expressing but that's an odd way to express it. It's like someone in 1910 saying that in a couple years nobody will watch an old film, and books will always be able to be re-read and bring new people to reading. Space Invaders is over 30 years old now, but sit down with it (or better yet, stand up with it) and it's still amazing.
It WERE an innocuous 'chiding remark' that I would discern as meant within a "good-humoured" intent.
I spent many a 'quarter' playing "Space Invaders" as I awaited upon a 'pizza' at the little place outside of our barracks.
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
rocketkiwi wrote:

Well maybe. However 100s of films were made in those days, how many are watched today? Anyway you are comparing apples to oranges, it's a fact that video games become obsolete very quickly.

How many people still play Space Invaders? For that matter when was the last time you personally verified it's amazingness? Even with Space Invaders being a design that does not inherently suffer from technical obsolescence I bet there are not many people playing it today. A first person shooter like Duken Nukem is the poster child for technical obsolescence. Remember Doom? Brilliant right? Want to play a game today where you can't look up or down? I don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of world is it where Chinese Democracy is released to positive reviews and Duke Nukem Forever languishes in statis for eternity?

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I am a believer.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90964-Duke-Nukem-F...

3drealms shutting down is just a small problem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're going to quit making video games???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Scientist Philip von Doomula
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
"I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel bad for Douglas Wayne Myres, Jr.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
My ass is green, but I don't let it worry me.
mbmbmbmbmb
MIB 8686 wrote:
They're going to quit making video games???

From what I've seen, I'd say they quit making video games some time ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Quarashi wrote:
I feel bad for Douglas Wayne Myres, Jr.

Yes - Doug was a sterling individual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.