Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph Reinert
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the last page of the Bohnanza rule booklet, there is a brief section called "Variations based on number of players." Are these variations OPTIONAL ways of playing the game, or are they meant to be part of the standard rules for Bohnanza? A friend of mine looked at the rule booklet and noted that the game is never played using ALL the cards.

With 3 players, remove the Cocoa Beans from the game.
With 4 or 5 players, remove the Coffee Beans from the game.
With 6 of 7 players, remove the Cocoa Beans and the Garden Beans from the game.
And in the 2 player rules, remove the Garden Beans and the Cocoa Beans from the game.

And yet, as far as I can tell, the rest of the rule booklet never suggests removing any bean variety from the game EXCEPT in the Varitions section at the end of the booklet.

It seems to me that the entire deck with ALL the bean varieties are meant to be used when playing standard Bohnanza with 3 to 7 players. Am I wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sterling
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played it with removing the right cards. I believe it's for balance reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same question for years, and only recently began removing the recommended cards. Removing the cards makes the game MUCH better and you should always do it. Bear in mind that the original German publication did not have as many bean varieties to begin with; the US version is a combination of the original base game and *some* of two expansions, as I understand it.

The game is simply too long with all the cards included. Also don't forget the special rules for 7 (and maybe 6? I forget) players - 3rd field only costs 2, draw 4 at end of turn, etc.

In short, definitely use the variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.