Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Padget
United States
Claremont
California [CA]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Backgammon is pretty much the sole survivor of a family of dozens of games, collectively known as Tables.

I've just uploaded this file, the handout for a class on Renaissance Tables games that I've taught in the Society for Creative Anachronism. Because the SCA focuses on pre-17th century western European culture, the class is mostly games that can be dated before 1601. Nineteen of the games can be played with a modern Backgammon set.

Note that Backgammon itself probably doesn't date to 1601. The first known mention of Backgammon by name is a letter from the mid-17th century.

None of the games in the handout are played by anyone other than living history buffs, so I didn't think they warranted separate game entries.

I hope you find some of these interesting. My SO and I actually prefer Irish to Backgammon, as it reduces the influence of dumb luck. (The main difference between Irish and Backgammon is that in Irish, a roll of doubles doesn't count double.) And for a gambling tables game, I much prefer Ticktack to Backgammon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.