Pandemic» Forums » General

Subject: Books to Outbreak Into? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
The hallmark of a good game for me is not only its fun factor and replayability but also, the degree to which it teaches me and makes me want to know more.

With Pandemic - given the news of late - this has not been a challenge at all!

So I checked some online book shops and found a huge list of interesting things - visited my local store and came home with the only one they had - a book by Richard Preston called "Hot Zone".

It was meant to be kept aside for a few months from now but I couldn't resist and so started it up.

By total coincidence that day, the National Georgraphic Channel just happened to air a documentary called "Super Flu".

Guys and gals, I just don't know what to say. I think I've now stumbled on too much information! Very detailed information - they kinda stuff they really should prepare you for...

Because if someone like Stephen King can review that book with the line: "One of the most horrifying things I've ever read", then I reckon I've bitten off much more than I can chew!

You know, though I've been glancing at it a lot, I haven't played a game for 2 days now. This game is about some scary stuff gulp

Any other book recommendations? devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Stand". Duh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if this fits exactly what you are looking for, since it involves an alien microbe invasion, but how about the classic "The Andromeda Strain"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah that's a goodie Tim (and I haven't yet read it), thanks for that.

I'm wondering if any folks have read any non-fiction stuff having bought or thought about this game?

This "Hot Zone" book is a real true-story page turner about Ebola and a near outbreak in the US!

It really is horrific. Even scarier that it's true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    I'm currently listening to the audio version of The Great Influenza: The Epic Story of the Deadliest Plague in History by Barry. I got the unabridged version which was a mistake, because he wanders into vast quantities of supporting detail that just isn't germane to the subject at hand. This is when the text version of a book really shines -- you can read the first sentence of each paragraph until the author gets back on topic.

When he returns to the technical detail it's quite good.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Phytoman wrote:
I'm not sure if this fits exactly what you are looking for, since it involves an alien microbe invasion, but how about the classic "The Andromeda Strain"?

The Andromeda Strain (as with all Crichton books that I have read) has some really incorrect science in it. It's a good story, but it's more than a bit misleading. Read with caution if you're looking for an insight into epidemiology.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeromie Rand
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ghost Map by Steven Johnson would be a good choice. Just check out this subtitle: The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic- And How it Changed Cities, Science, and The Modern World. It follows an outbreak of cholera in London and its effect on modern epidemiology. I haven't read it (yet) by my wife was quite fascinated (and sometimes disturbed) by it.

Typhoid Mary is a fascinating subject. She was the first carrier of typhoid fever in the United States, and after repeatedly infecting people she was quarantined for much of her life in the name of the public good. Judith Walzer Leavitt seems to have a well received biopic on her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.