BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Tigris & Euphrates or Samurai for 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
Hello

I'm torn between these two. I've read a bit here and while T&E seems to be the better game, Samurai seems to scale better for two. Deciding which to go for is almost a Reiner Knizia game in its own right. So essentially I have some euros in my hot sweaty hands and I want to buy one - please tell me which should it be?

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both but never with two players. Samurai is the easier game to teach and grasp; T&E is by far the deeper strategy game of the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with Samurai. T&E isn't bad with two, but there's a little too much breathing room. If players aren't aggressive, there won't be a lot of conflict.

I don't think I've ever played Samurai with two, but I have a feeling it would work really well that way. In fact, having only two players would get rid of one of the little frustrations of the game, which is that you can sometimes feel like a poor player will hand the game to someone else. In two players a poor opponent will hand the game to you, and no one minds that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T&E is the better game but I personally do not think it is the best 2-player game of out pf the two. The board is too big for 2 & if one person is more experienced than the other, it can be very difficult for the lesser player to win.

Samurai, on the other hand, has a number of boards depending on the number of players so it scales perfectly with 2, 3 or 4.

So, just for two, I'd get Samurai. 3 or 4, it's T&E.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, just to emphasize a little, Samurai for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T&E is a great game with two players. Use gamegrunt's variant to tighten the board and shorten the tile draw. It's wonderful.

His variant is in this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/228386

Here's the quote.

Gamegrunt wrote:
Do what you want by all means. But if you want a tight, shorter two-player T&E try this...

- Remove the four corner Temples

- Remove 14 Red Tiles

- Remove 9 Blue Tiles

- Remove 8 Green Tiles

- Remove 8 Black Tiles

Play game normally except game ends when 1 or 0 temple treasures remain.

Cheers!

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bola! wrote:
T&E is a great game with two players. Use gamegrunt's variant to tighten the board and shorten the tile draw. It's wonderful.

There's also the Nile Variant board for two:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/28781

I liked it enough to design my own "Nile Variant" board and to mount my own copy on chipboard:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lee
United States
Milford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games are great but if you are going to be playing 2 player a lot then I would choose Samurai. It works really well with two players and you can even keep you scoring pieces public, which I really don't like doing with 3 or 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel T&E shines with more than 2. They're both a little "back and forth" but the overall depth of mechanics in T&E really demands more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro
Portugal
Lisbon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Samurai and I think it works very well with 2.

I think E&T is one of the best games ever designed and I also happen to think that it's an excellent 2p game. If played with 2 experienced players, it can be really amazing.

I think your choice depends on how much you like each game. In my case, I'd never play samurai with any number of players, if I can play E&T instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Samurai perfectly scales to any number of players it allows. And is a great game! So I would go with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the advice.

I am now convinced that the correct answer is:

Both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim "git yer stinkin' themes offa my mechanic" Puccio
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2ndinBeautyContest wrote:
I am now convinced that the correct answer is:

Both!

Could this be yet another Ginger or Mary Ann situation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.