Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the VASSAL demo and decided to buy the full VASSAL game. After a couple of weeks I decided to read the full rules, having up until then based my gameplay on the VASSAL tutorial.

However, in the tutorial, when determining the sites present, the process goes as follows: draw the chits determined by the target card, "No Site" chits are removed and then (because the Iraq 1991 Campaign Map Sheet requires it) the SA-15s are removed. However, these sites aren't replaced.

So I've been playing this way. Draw all the chits required and remove the SA-15s. Having read the rules it seems like this is wrong, that it is part of the set-up to remove the sites before starting the game. As it's a pain to try to remove all the SA-15s on VASSAL, I presume I should instead remove any SA-15s that appear and draw another chit for each one removed. Is this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petre Tutunea
Romania
flag msg tools
designer
batdog wrote:
(...)draw the chits determined by the target card, "No Site" chits are removed(...)

In the pdf version of HL2 there are no No site counters. There are only No bandit ones and you may only place bandits at the end of the Target-Bound Flight phase.

batdog wrote:
As it's a pain to try to remove all the SA-15s on VASSAL, I presume I should instead remove any SA-15s that appear and draw another chit for each one removed.

There shouldn't be any major problems playing this way as long as it's still a random chosen counter on the next draw. However, there are 4 SA-15 counters with 3 MiG-21s and 1 MiG-23 on their backs. If, when determining sites, you remove any of the 4 SA-15s from game you won't have the same selection of bandits at the end of the Target-Bound Flight phase. Just put them back in the cup (or the VASSAL equivalent, if any) and use them again for their bandit side later in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Petre, I was confusing placing bandits with placing sites. The VASSAL version is the same as the pdf - there are no "No Sites" chits. But it does seem as if I've been playing the removal of the SA-15s incorrectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Corzo
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So which is the correct way? I had the same question when I read the rules..

the tutorial says treat it as a "no site"

the rules tell you to remove them from the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quote:

the rules tell you to remove them from the campaign.

Keep all bandit/site counters in the mix at all times. If you happen upon a site or bandit that is not in the scenario redraw until you get proper units/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.