Subject: Looks nifty, but..... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems like a reall cool idea but sadly the artwork is supremely awful. Awful enough that I found myself not willing to even try it.

There's a lesson here for new designers/publishers - gotta have good art at a minimum. This fugly stuff just isn't cutting it, folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without knowing much about this project I have to assume that it is self puplished. If they're paying for the game out of pocket they have to use what they can afford. I suppose its better to have a game with cheap art than no game at all.

Personally I like a lot of the artwork. Some of it is questionable, but some of it I think is pretty cool (I like the rough sketchy stuff the best). I do think a lot of the colors are pretty aweful however. Pink guns? Several of the guns look like supersoakers. The real photos are kinda cheesy too.

The game looks interesting enough to spend $10 on though, even if the art is hit or miss (haha I made a gun joke). Just ordered a couple of starter decks. Looking forward to trying it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lou chilton
msg tools
designer
This is a beta test run to verify that all of the mechanics work as intended. We have a couple of new artists drawing some excellent art up for us now. Johnson Chilton Games LLC, the makers of FPSccg, are committed to producing games that work, have sound game play, and are fun. Sure we could get some great art and slap it on a game that sucks, but then all we have is a pretty game that sucks. I would rather see an ugly game that works and is fun. Good mechanics take a lot of hard work and testing to perfect. Once art is done, its done. Good or bad.
Thanks for the post, sorry about the art, we are working on improving it now. Good Luck.
Happy Fragging!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I'm J. Willhite, the guy who likely drew the "sketchy drawings", thanks Hooker!

I'm not mad at anyone, we're all entitled to our own opinions, but still I think a bit of a defense should be made...

The art was submitted for free and likely drawn quickly; there was a deadline, and as mentioned the pieces were more intended just to give you something, anything to look at.

I'll give you a sharpie marker, in the time it takes to smoke a cigarette I want you to draw me a dozen machineguns... freehand (because that's how I draw). Then repeat that for every weapon and their respective ammunitions, all the while somewhat reflecting what they are intended to represent, or sometimes they won't. Hurry up, you have about a hundred things you need to draw! That was my deadline, my mission. These were done before I even got a degree in college as well, so it was drawn with the talent from only having a single art class in high school; it's hobby drawing.

I recieved no financial compensation for the works submitted either, not that it was wanted; I made these drawings quickly for good friends who wanted something more than a card with words on it to go to print. Although, I did get a hat, tshirt, a few starter decks, and a couple free sodas when helping out at conventions. As mentioned these cards were published as a public beta test run.

The mechanics are solid, the game is incredibly cheap (compared to starting other card games such as MTG, Yugioh, or Pokemon), and the designers are likely to hook you up. There's no magic, no karate, no bug-eyed furry animals, only guns and bigger guns. Do any of the other games ever do this? not really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.