Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Looking for suggestions.

A few things about my tastes:

Not a big fan of CCGs or minis, but I figure there must be tons of em out there now & some gems I've missed. I tend to be a fan of games that have relatively simple rules, and derive their depth through good design. I'm a sucker for rich theme, and I like games that build-up or have a progression, or perhaps some economic engine involved. I'd love to find one that's past it's prime and can be had cheaply off ebay.

So, any thoughts, fellow geeks? Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an excellent thread on doing Magic: The Gathering inexpensively, which I have followed in part:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/382910
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maelstrom from FFG springs to mind, also the Vs. System system from Upper Deck has a great theme (Marvel & DC Comic Book Stuff) and very strong gameplay and was recently discontinued, making it a bit cheaper to get into.

Those are two I can think of off the top of my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Netrunner
Battletech
Wars TCG
Star Trek 2nd Edition
Middle Earth
Lord of the Rings TCG
Warlord: Saga of the Storm
Game of Thrones CCG (can get cheap if you don't want to invest in the LCG)
Call of Cthulhu CCG (can get cheap if you don't want to invest in the LCG)
Diskwars
7th Sea

All are very good games IMO.

Best place for cheap old ccg's: http://www.wholesalegaming.biz/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like picking up dead CCG or mini games because some are actually pretty darn good and cheap gaming fun. The problem with your question is I can't think of any that really fit your discription right now. I've picked up some Horrorclix because those have a good sale on at Hill's Wholesale Gaming. Two starter sets and 16 boosters (4 of the main and 4 each of the expansions) for around $25 plus shipping. I'm not a big fan of the clix system, but, with some house rules, it can be fun. You can also order Alien vs. Predator and other sets from there. Horrorclix is mostly a small unit minis game.

They also have a good clearance on Hecatomb. I like the mechanics of that one, but its, again, really dark. Similar to Magic in some ways, and good build up. I haven't played enough to tell you more, but there are some reviews here on Geek.

Dreamblade is another to consider, but you'll have to go the e-bay route for that one. I love the game, the figures are a little too weird at times, but its a GREAT game. Wonderful area control and resourse management elements. Still available on Ebay, but getting rarer and rarer by the day. There are some great reviews on this one on the Geek, I highly recommend it. Although, since its dead, if you dont' care about the minis, you could make your own counter set as all the stats have been released and it would be fine as a counter game. Personally, its worth getting the weird minis at the current prices.

Those are the only one's I can think of. Check Hill's Wholesale Gaming web page and compare it to e-bay prices. Sometimes they are far cheaper, and remember to check the buy it now prices or e-bay stores as well. I just picked up a Great Cthulhu Horror Clix on buy it now when someone out-bid me on an auction. Now that auction is $10 higher, $25 with shipping, than what I paid with buy it now with shipping. It pays to spend an extra second to look.

Take care, good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
The first Star Wars CCG (by Decipher) is widely considered one of the best CCGs produced, and has sadly been defunct for the better part of a decade now. While I wouldn't say it had simple rules, it does have a certain elegance and very immersive depth. Build up is a pretty big part of the game, as is area control. Plus epic themes! There continues to be a pretty rabid fan base that's still playing even today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bokrug wrote:
The first Star Wars CCG (by Decipher) is widely considered one of the best CCGs produced, and has sadly been defunct for the better part of a decade now. While I wouldn't say it had simple rules, it does have a certain elegance and very immersive depth. Build up is a pretty big part of the game, as is area control. Plus epic themes! There continues to be a pretty rabid fan base that's still playing even today.

Its a great game........but not very accessible for new players. I think Wars is much more accessible to start with (to the OP--they have the same game mechanics).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Voge III
United States
Gwynn Oak
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Check out my podcast at www.thepartygamecast.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the game gets no real respect but WWE/WWF Raw Deal was a very cool little game. What I always liked about it is your health is your deck, you lose cards as you lose health and when you deck runs out you're done. Plus the mechanics allow a build up of moves that makes one turn kills and the like harder than a lot of games. Its been dead for a few years, I imagine it can't be that pricey to pick up anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bokrug wrote:
The first Star Wars CCG (by Decipher) is widely considered one of the best CCGs produced

I'm not sure this hyperbole is accurate. I think it was considered a decent CCG - good, not great. Your enthusiasm is admirable but a tad inaccurate, I'm afraid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maelstrom is a great choice but getting the rares is damn near impossible. It has pretty excellent gameplay.

WARS Trading Card Game is excellent. You can get an excellent playable set from Hill's Wholesale for next to nothing. (I've also got a -ton- if you don't care about Rares). This is the exact same game as Star Wars but after they had experience. The rules are cleaned up and you're not looking for errata to play. But the theme is a new universe so in some ways it is less immersive than playing Star Wars is. But for like $40 you can get more than you'd ever play.

Hecatomb is probably my favorite of the old CCG's. It's as cheap as Wars but the cards are super cool and printed on plastic. The game has play roughly like Magic: The Gathering but without as much depth (largely due to the minimal number of expansions. The artwork is excellent and theme is fantastic if you're into the horror genre.

Dreamblade is a good area control game. The pieces are pretty weird and you need quite a few to play though. I don't really feel the theme here because the pieces are too weird and the armies don't feel unified. The gameplay is tight though.

Netrunner: You owe it to yourself to pick up a 2 player starter on this, imo. This one has unusual mechanics where each player is really playing a completely different game. It has more in common with a typical card game than a CCG because you can play the 2 player starter without ever buying another card.

Modern stuff?
Star Wars Miniatures is excellent. It's easy to make armies, the theme is such that you don't -have- to have a ton of minis to have fun. If you really got into it, though, you could spend a small fortune. One neat thing is there are 4 eras with light and dark armies for each side, some of which overlap (like Empire is playable in 3 eras). Some of the eras are more loved by certain players so they'll dump sets of guys on eBay where you can buy kind of an army reinforcement set pretty cheap (like $20 for an army of Stormtroopers for instance). The only problem I see with this game is that you need a few rares to "spice" the army. That said, the starters are often fixed (to include key pieces like a Vader and Obi Wan) and they also have a new map in them. This is the first CCG that I don't feel completely ripped off buying more of.

Monsterpocalypse is something I'm looking at. It's fixed distribution by the case, so if you buy 1 case of the Monsters, 1 case of the Units, you have everything for the set. Maybe runs you like $200 when you also buy a couple starters. Reviews are continually saying it is the best CMG ruleset ever. I think if you bought a case of each you'd probably never need to buy anything else. If you wanted to get in for less, there are always people selling a Monster + its units on eBay because they don't like one of the armies as much as another. Going that route you could probably get in for quite a bit less.

---

Based on your tastes I'm guessing that Star Wars is a good fit for tight design. Dreamblade is excellent for gameplay as well. Both it and Maelstrom have quite a bit of "building up" because they are area control games. Any of those three would be solid picks I'd say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Periodically running through your local thrift store or Goodwill, you can come across some diamonds in the rough.

I found an unpunched complete Settlers of Catan at the Goodwill once for $3.99.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Middle-earth is one of the best CCGs made. Stick with packs from "The Wizards" and "The Dragons" sets, though. The later sets made the game less fun, in my opinion. The "Dark Minions" set was somewhat decent, and might be worth getting if you enjoy the game and have more money to spend on cards.

What I like about Middle-earth is that you don't need a pile of rares to make decent decks, it has solitaire rules, and you can choose to travel anywhere you wish throughout Middle Earth. The freedom of movement and the possibilities of various themed decks makes this a winner in my book!

Star Wars Customizable Card Game would be another excellent choice for a quality CCG. However, this game is much more dependent on rares and various cards spanning a plethora of different sets. If you do get into this game to build a few simple decks to play against each other, go with the "Special Edition" set. Also, support is still continuing for this game, and you can download new printable cards here:
http://www.swccgpc.com/

If you're interested in trying out Star Wars Customizable Card Game, you might want play it for free online a bit:
http://www.holotable.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Magi-nation is my favorite dead card game. Arcadia and Netrunner are also solid. I'm always tempted to say L5R, but it's technically still alive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreamblade is currently available by the case on deep discount (often 12 boosters for $25). Good game and great eye appeal for the minis.

Not exactly simple but deep in theme (albeit a ripoff theme) is Freedom in the Galaxy. Star Wars grand strategy by any other name. Similar in mechanics to SPIs old Lord of the Rings game.

Another vote for Netrunner to. One of my all time favorite card games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ham
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
HONK HONK
mbmbmbmbmb
A good dead CCG imo is Firestorm. It can be found fairly cheap, and was recently on Tanga. It fills three of your criteria with a good theme, strong buildup, and a resource economy. Firestorm in no way has "relatively simple rules", but if you can get through the 92 page manual, it's worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff King
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
Deadlands: Doomtown
Great theme. Great design. Easy to learn.
We used to play this a lot at the old FLGS about ten years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MIB 8686 wrote:
Middle-earth is one of the best CCGs made. Stick with packs from "The Wizards" and "The Dragons" sets, though. The later sets made the game less fun, in my opinion. The "Dark Minions" set was somewhat decent, and might be worth getting if you enjoy the game and have more money to spend on cards.

What I like about Middle-earth is that you don't need a pile of rares to make decent decks, it has solitaire rules, and you can choose to travel anywhere you wish throughout Middle Earth. The freedom of movement and the possibilities of various themed decks makes this a winner in my book!

You may not need a pile of rares, but not having access to that ring everyone's always fussing about in the books left a bad taste in many gamers' mouths. Awful, awful marketing decision. Decent game otherwise, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mb
My apologies if this is a bit of stretch, but as miniatures, simple rules, and good design go my recommendation would be Space Hulk. Miniatures are relatively inexpensive to acquire separately from the 40K universe and the game itself is rumored to be reprinted later this year so older copies of the game itself might go down in price and be a real steal as fans anticipate the newest edition. I myself have been purchasing painted miniatures and floor tiles for a couple of years now and can build quite a large map for an evening of gene Stealers/Tyranids versus Space Marines!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, he asks for something cheap, and y'all recommend Netrunner, Space Hulk and Maelstrom/Vortex?

I'll throw my support behind Hecatomb (If you can accept the theme and art, it's a bit dark for some), Firestorm (It's not so complex as the 92 page rulebook would have you believe), and Navia Dratp (Boosters can be difficult to come by, but the starters will give you a good game). You can also pick up the older sets of WoW TCG for under $30 per booster box. Sell off any loot cards you find (with the scratch-off panels) and you can cut your costs even more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.