Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathanael May
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone!

Tonight has been designated "game night" by my wife, in which she promised we would play "lots of games." I redubbed it, "new-game night" in which I promised we would learn lots of games.

Over the last week or so, I have purchased 4 games: Citadels, San Juan, Hive, and Zooloretto. My question is this: what order should we learn/play these in tonight in order to receive the maximum enjoyment from all of them? Or should we only play 1, and play it 4 times? Or 2 twice? Or what?

I leave my night - nay, my whole weekend - in your capable, internetty hands.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And the answer is: Let your wife decide. That way, if she doesn't enjoy it, she can't blame you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive goes quick, but is a bit dry and thinky, but still probably the best opener, because you can knock out a couple of games in 10 minutes. Citadels and Zooloretto are both good for the middle somewhere. San Juan is probably the "Heaviest", so I'd leave that for last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Taylor
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest saving Citadels for last, as it's not as good 2 player as with more. And I second the suggestion to let her decide, as aesthetics and theme may play a big part in her enjoyment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Learning four new games in one night sounds a bit excessive perhaps. Might be best to go with 2 games twice instead. If you and your wife like spatial abstract games then I'd say your best bet out of those 4 is Hive. I'd give that a shot and maybe play it a few times. For a very different game, there's San Juan, if you don't mind a card game with lots of text on the cards. It'll be easier to learn if you know Puerto Rico already, but possible regardless certainly. Lastly, I always enjoy mixing in an old favorite with learning new games, so perhaps bring out an old favorite for the last game of the night since it'll be nice and familiar. Looking at your collection, it seems like Carcassonne or Alhambra would do nicely. No matter what you decide to play, hope you enjoy and have a great night!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I say start with the shortest game, Hive. If you really like it, then play it again. If you both still can't get enough, then play it again. Etc.

If time allows, move to a longer game that has a larger learning curve. I think Citadels is great, but it plays quite differently with two players than with multiple players. San Juan would be fine here as well. Play it, if you still have an itch for the game, play it again, otherwise move on.

I then suggest going to Zooloretto if you still have time. This also plays differently with two players than multiplayer.

If Citadels or Zooloretto fall flat, then you might want to try them another time with more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael May
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice, everybody.

We're starting with Hive, as a warm-up of sorts. What we play next will be up to the wife, with suggesting and recommending from me.

Thanks again!

UPDATE: Hive didn't go too well. She didn't enjoy it, thinking it was much too simple.

On to Citadels, at her request!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael May
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels was a huge hit. She loved the character selection mechanic, which has me hopeful that San Juan will be a fun one in the future. She declared herself "new-gamed out," though, so it's on to Carcassonne or Ticket to Ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG this wuz totaly like a tw1itter!

ROTFLOLROTFLOLFOTFLOL!!

Sorry, l33t tourettes.

Actually kind of cool with the up to the minute updates. What is she doing while you are running to the computer/stabbing at the iPhone and updating us?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
If there are only the two of you the answer is easy - Zooloretto.

If there are six or seven of you the answer is just as easy - Citadels.

Tell me, how many of you will be there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah. Citadels is best with two or three. Don't listen to the naysayers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the live up-to-the-minute updates have stopped, is that a bad sign? Should we be worried? Did Zooloretto not go over too well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect they paused to ... sleep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
citadels is definitely best at 3. at 6 and 7 the luck trumps the skill by a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know any of them except by name, but very cool with the running count on hive - it is not for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wiebe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Green is the colour, football is the game; we're all together, and winning is our aim!
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
And the answer is: Let your wife decide. That way, if she doesn't enjoy it, she can't blame you.

Truer words have never been spoken. I would recommend Zooloretto first, and San Juan second meself tho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael May
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright - I was tired last night, so I logged our plays and hit the sack - Race for the Cure was this morning, and I had to be there at 4:30am to serve coffee.

We ended up playing (to my surprise) Alhambra, a game my wife had previously described as "too mathy." There were only two of us, and it was our first time playing with Dirk, who we hate. Misty called it a "cop-out on the designers part."

"Couldn't they just have the guts to call it a 3-6 player game?"

I'm not so quick to judge, but he was definitely annoying. Awesome night - so awesome in fact, that she asked to learn Zooloretto and San Juan tonight. Hopefully there will be another winner among those two, something as attention-grabbing as Citadels.

We'll see. Thanks again for all the recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.