Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I should know this, but was a little stumped when playing "The Demolition" scenario..

The soviets have two grey molotov cards. These can be played as an action- so here are my questions:

1. Can you play two molotovs at the same time and combine their Attack Values?

2. Can you combine their AVs with any other Attack Value fire (such as from a unit in the same hex)?

3. Must they be played on/by a friendly unit that is firing (in close combat)..or can you play it anywhere on the map against an enemy, regardless of whether you have a friendly unit in that hex (as though it were invisible partisans, or the invisible spotter for mortars?

4. Will it affect other friendly units in that close combat hex?

5. Can it be used by a flipped unit, or a unit that has a wound that does not allow it to fire?

Not sure why I've found this a bit tricky- must be a simple answer to all the above, but I couldn't locate it in the rules.

Grateful for any help.

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

No. Playing a molotov card takes the place of an attack. And, like any action in CoH, your opponent could react to that action before you could play a second molotov.

2. Can you combine their AVs with any other Attack Value fire (such as from a unit in the same hex)?
See above answer. You can't 'combine' them, though you could fire with a unit, give your opponent a chance to react, then throw a molotov.

3. Must they be played on/by a friendly unit that is firing (in close combat)..or can you play it anywhere on the map against an enemy, regardless of whether you have a friendly unit in that hex (as though it were invisible partisans, or the invisible spotter for mortars?

The range on the card is 0. any infantry can use it (rifle, MG, mortar, gun). With the range being 0, it can be used in close combat(though, as the card states, CC modifiers do not apply.)

4. Will it affect other friendly units in that close combat hex?

No. Just like any other CC attack, it only will affect enemies.

5. Can it be used by a flipped unit, or a unit that has a wound that does not allow it to fire?

Flipped unit: yes. Playing a card on a unit does not require the unit to be activated. Unit that cannot fire: likely no, but im not as sure about that one. Sound more like a judgement call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Schuster
Austria
Innsbruck
Tirol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You can do that if you have more than one unit in the same hex. It would be a group-CC then, where one unit is the fire leader, using the molotov cocktail, and +1 FP is added for any other unit participating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Complex wrote:

You can do that if you have more than one unit in the same hex. It would be a group-CC then, where one unit is the fire leader, using the molotov cocktail, and +1 FP is added for any other unit participating.

Ah, okay. Yes, it can be part of a firegroup. I was understanding the question differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uwe also clarified that with range 0, a molotov/grenade can be used at long range of 1 but at half fp. With the +3 for adjacent fire, it can still be potent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Ingram
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cparrott wrote:
Uwe also clarified that with range 0, a molotov/grenade can be used at long range of 1 but at half fp. With the +3 for adjacent fire, it can still be potent.

Chuck.

I thought the modifier for long range is -2.
Where is this 'half fp' clarified?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Schuster
Austria
Innsbruck
Tirol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry is correct. Molotovs and grenades can be fired into an adjoinig hex, altoug at -2 FP, as stated in the Q&A at the academy games homepage (http://www.academy-games.com/index.php/q-a-a?start=3):

Quote:
The range for both of these cards is 0. They may be used up to one hex distance as long range, with their FP decreasing by 2.

I am quite sure, however, that the point blank modifier of +3 would not apply as the range is to be considered "long range" according to the statement. Also, common sense tells me that this is correct, as those weapons are designed as CC weapons (hex size 30-40 m) and it would make no sense if they were more potent at "long range" (-2 and +3 summing up to +1 total).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very helpful guys. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My mistake,

Barry is correct, it's -2 FP for long range. I'm confusing rulesets.

Given that the CC modifiers are nullified in CC, I would guess that the adjacency is also not in effect now that I think about it. Unless the flank dv rule is also cancelled.

I'll check with Uwe on exactly how he intended it to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you realkly chuck a bottle of spirits with a burning rag in it from one CoH hex to an adjacent one? How many metres that? !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henric Blyvall
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you position yourself very close to the hex side, yes you can!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chou4555 wrote:

Not with the official rules, but the COH website does list combining these as a variant you may wish to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cparrott wrote:
My mistake,

Barry is correct, it's -2 FP for long range. I'm confusing rulesets.

Given that the CC modifiers are nullified in CC, I would guess that the adjacency is also not in effect now that I think about it. Unless the flank dv rule is also cancelled.

I'll check with Uwe on exactly how he intended it to work.

You would just subtract 2 FP from the total on the card. Being adjacent is "short range", but you can't be "short range" and "long range" at the same time. Anyways, since long range is double the regular range, and the regular range is 0, having 1 hex be "long range" is an exception from the rules anyways.

So yeah, just subtract 2 from the AV on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chou4555 wrote:

Yes to both. The hit counter cancels the AV on the counter, but not on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.