Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Petters
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or

"I'm surrounded by STUPIDS!"

6 June 1944: The D-Day objectivges of the 1st Battalion of the 502nd Infantry Regiment included the northermost Utah Beach exit and a nearby gun battery. After landing badly scattered, L. Colonel Patrick Cassidy gathered what men he could and headed for the gun position.

German: 3xGren, 1x75mmIG, 1xCapt, 2xLt, 1xSgt
US: 3xPara, 1xPara (reduced), 1xLt Col, 1x1Lt, 1x2Lt

Victory conditions
US - Controls 0407, 0604 & 0803
Ger - Controls 410 or 0509, or if more than two US steps
All other results are draws.

Captain Eric Von Zipper stumbles out of bed to the sound of distant artillery. "Sounds like someone's playing a bit early" as he stumbles across the floor to the window. Von Zipper had returned from his daddy's summer home in the alps just a few hours before and was in no mood to deal with loud noises this early. "Did that artillery move as I instructed them to?" he shouted to his orderly.

"Yes sir! It moved. But they also told us that they aren't artil..."
"Good, now tell them to stop playing and go back to bed!" Von Zipper said.

LTC Cassidy gathers his units together. "A little over 3 platoons... is that enough?" he wonders to himself. "it doesn't matter, I have a job!"

"Up and at 'em, 502nd!" Looking at his Lieutenants Clancy and Moran "Let's move toward that village south of us and see where we stand!"

Sgt Krueger stares in disbelief at Lt Bremer. "He wants us WHERE?"
"In the hedgerows" came the Lt's reply.
"How can we shoot if we can't see anything?" Krueger asks rhetorically
"I know... The Captain must believe that anything larger than a Luger is artillery." Lt Bremer says as he climbs over the hedgerow to take a look around.

LTC Cassidy stares out across the field. "Ok, there's an officer southwest of us. There's no way he'd be there alone! Let's go!"

Lt Bremer sees the paratroopers rushing across the field. Realizing he's out in the open, he starts working his way back around to his units. "They're on their way!" he shouts! "they should be here in about 10 minutes!

Sgt Krueger readies the platoon, knowing life is about to get interesting. He doesn't have to wait long. Because of where he is, he can't really see the paratroopers, but he knows they have to be getting close. Then he starts seeing movement. The battle begins. Krueger repulses several attacks and then he starts countering. At first, it's a stalemate, then after 15 minutes of fighting, he sees a small unit go down. Then another platoon breaks. "Now we've got them!!!" Krueger shouts to his men.

Lt Bremer, seeing the impending rout of the US paratroopers looks at Krueger and says "I'm going to go tell the Captain that we're breaking them!" and slips over the hedgerow and out of sight...

Krueger looks in disbelief... "officers..." he mumbles aloud.

Back in town, Von Zipper now started to realize that this wasn't someone's game. Reports were coming in of intense fighting just up the street. Then the report arrives that the US troops have fallen back. "Now's our chance! If we act now, we can sneak up behind them and surround the entire Battalion!"

"You want us to move? From the city?"

"YES! NOW! Everyone up, let's go get them! And tell Lt Schneider to bring his troops up the left hedgerow. I'll bring mine up the right! With luck, they'll never see us coming!"

LtC Cassidy watched as the platoon on his left broke. "Crap! Well, lay it on them anyway! We have to get them!" After 15 minutes of intense fighting, his troops have made no progress. He sees that the routed unit has made it back to the town and looks to be regrouping. "well, that's a plus, I suppose."

Then 2Lt Moran rushes up. "Colonel, you have to see this!!!"

"What is it? Are they surrendering?" asked Cassidy.

"No, two units are moving in behind us" Moran noted. "but it may not be the worst thing..." he suggested.

Intrigued, Cassidy followed Moran to wher he could see the advancing Grenadiers. "How many?" he asked.

"It looks like one platoon on each side."

"We can take them... We CAN! And we won't be stuck here trying to fight over a hedgerow! Let's go, everyone! NOW!!!! Don't stop to fight, go all the way to town!"

Von Zipper looks around, stunned. He expected the US to dig in. Instead, they came storming over the hedgerow and ran right by us as we tried to get settled. Lt Schneider was equally as shocked. Now there was a much stronger US presence between the two grenadier units. Von Zipper ordered them to fire, but the US troops didn't stop to fire, they just kept going. Too Late, Von Zipper realized what they were doing...

"Back to the town!!!" he screamed! " and tell that idiot Schneider to get back to his!"

Von Zipper's unit climb back into the safety of the town. The Americans are in the next town over and they watch as Lt. Schneider tries to retake it. wave after wave... with no success.

LTC Cassidy looks out triumphantly. "Well done, Lieutenant! Now, let's get organized and press on. We've got to keep them on the run!"

"Thank you, sir!" Lt Moran says as he moves off to get ready for the next town.

"He's gone..." Von Zipper laments.

"Sir, The Americans are heading this way..."

"You're doing exellent work here, Lieutenant! Two towns, with no losses! You have an eye for the battlefield and you will be recognized for your work here today! But we're not done. We HAVE to get rid of that gun! It's all for naught if that gun remains intact!"

"I know sir. I'm getting the men ready now to take care of it".

An orderly walks up to Cassidy and hands him a note. "Well, it looks like you'll have some help. It seems that Lt. Clancy has reorganized his platoon! He's awaiting my order as to where to go. Well, Lieutenant, this is your day. Where should I tell him to meet us?"

Sgt Krueger looks over his placement. His unit is all that remains. They've dug in, knowing that a vicious blow is about to land. "It's been an honor serving with you! We must remember that today we were undone by inept leadership. Now we must do our duty, not only to make up for our leadership, but to ensure our survival. They're going to throw everything at us, but we beat them back once before, we can do it again!"

"These guys are tough!" Lt Clancy bemoans. "Colonel, what can we do?"

"Don't let up on them! We outnumber them and should be able to overpower them! Moran, push them hard! But do it now, because we're running out of time!" Cassidy orders.

The battle is pitched. The Germans have expertly set up their defenses and Moran starts to wonder if they'll ever break them. He scrambles among his troops, encouraging them. "One more time, men! NOW!"

Conclusion
This is about the 3rd scenario I've played, so I'm still learning how things work and I made so many mistakes. First, I placed the 75mm inside a hedgerow due to not understanding what kind of unit it was. The marker says it's an artillery piece, but it doesn't have indirect firing. I placed it as if it did. I assume that it's not an artillery piece, but is instead an AT gun (see the last picture). As for the Germans moving out of the towns, at tehat moment, the US was in bad shape. I actually thought that they'd succeed in surrounding the paras. Only when I saw their placement and then looked at what the US should do did I realize that there was an opportunity to get out of their predicament. After the US made it to the town, the battle was decided. It was only a matter of whether there was enough time for the US to get all their objectives. In the final assault, the Germans were stubborn until the boxcars showed up on turn 19.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nice pictures, now make em look better:

[imageid=XXXXXXoriginal]

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Petters
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dean_1230 wrote:
Thanks for the tip!

Psst!
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Edit your original post and change all the image links!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
dean_1230 wrote:
I assume that it's not an artillery piece, but is instead an AT gun (see the last picture).

It's an infantry gun. Short barreled cannon set up for direct fire instead of indirect fire. A bit like the cannon seen on the the battlefields of the 18th and 18th centuries (think Waterloo and Gettysburg), but with a recoil mechanism, high explosive shells, breech-loading fixed ammunition, telescopic sights, steel carriage with pneumatic tires, and a few other advantages. The 75mm IGs that the Germans used early in the war could be pushed/dragged from location to location by their crews (not very far). The 105mm IGs used later in the war were too big to man-handle, so trucks had to pull them into position, which was a bit more hazardous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.