Arkham Horror» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Eight Sessions -- BGotW rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
The last eight-session report involved all eight GOO's awakening, so I thought I'd post this in order to counter-balance that report so that newbies might not think that's the norm with this expansion.

Wasn't sure how to format it, so put it all on one post, rather than eight separate. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Session 1:

Pete, Jenny, Mandy, Bob

Pete immediately went to Indy Sq. and was joined by Anna Kazlov, obtaining the clues he needed to begin battling the threat to Arkham.
He sneak past a DY and, armed only with a rifle, a ghost.

He saw a hazy silhoutte on the horizon. Before he could react, he had been devoured. Harvey left his desk at the Administration Building a joined the battle.

(In the first twelve Mythos, an extra two monsters were added six times).

Jenny, with five clued, gave one Elder Sign to Harvey and one to Bob.
Flying solo, Mandy sealed another gate to Celano at Unvisited Isle, Pete's downfall. (Four seals).

A gate opened on Mandy at The Science Bldg and sank into a repulsive goo. Harvey saw her distress through his Dragon Eye and rescued her.
She was then trasported in rapid succession into an open gate at The Black gate and, thus, into Plateau of Leng.

Having sealed her gate at Hibb's, Jenny returned to the scene of her previous success, generously tipped the waiter at Hibbs. He shared his knowledge of the Mythos with her and she was prepared to seal her second gate, which she succeeded in doing.

Mandy finally wound her way through Leng and the threat was ended.

Terror - 9

Session 2:

Harvey, Jenny, Mandy, Bob

The first four gate openings saw the emergence of four DY. (This was a recurring theme in these eight sessions. My hand didn't seem to go anywhere else early.

Bob went shopping at the Curiosity Shoppe and chose Powder of Ibn Ghazi over the Astral Mirror. This decision had almost disasterous consequences.

While in the Abyss, he was attacked by a Shoggoth. He was proud of his choice of the Powder for only a moment. (One hit on twelve dice).

With the Powder scattered to four winds, two more combats (at seven dice) resulted in his being LinT&S. (One more hit on fourteen dice).
(Two for twenty-six).

From here, he was basically out of the battle. While he was in the bank, a panic was caused as people began withdrawing their money and he pushed to the street, where he was faced with a DY. Things seemed bleak (three dice). In his first attack, he was severely wounded.
In his second attack, he knew he had hurt it. The only thing left to do is use trickery (a clue token). He never knew how he did it, but he destroyed the vile creature. (Curious. Three dice and a re-roll for victory).

The others were having much greater success. Mandy got an early seal, Harvey used one Elder Sign and Jenny two.

Funnel Clouds over Arkham trapped Mandy and Harvey for five turns each, both unwilling to take a chance on being devoured in the streets.

The clouds finally lifted. Mandy was the first to enter and seal a gate. Jenny and Harvey finally marshalled their reserves of strength.
They entered Yuggoth at Indy Sq. together, Harvey successfully climbing a sheer precipice (Fight -2, not good for a character with a fight of 3)
He had been blessed earlier and collected a vial containing the Milk of Shub Niggurath.

They exited the OW together. Jenny failed to seal, but Harvey's blessing held and Nyarlathotep was defeated. (Harvey: One four with four dice).

vs.
Hastur

This isn't going to be as detailed. It was a very long, drawn-out affair against one of the toughest GOO's.

It should have been an easy win, even with the eight-token requirement for sealing.

Bob was going to start off by defeating two DY early with a Flute of the Outer Gods, but failed a horror check and a single combat against a lesser monster earlier and had to get healing at the asylum and hospital first.

The Funnel Cloud came to Arkham again, and again progress was held up until it lifted.

Two Elder Signs got things started. Fortunately for Jenny and the crew, she bought plenty of weapons early and distributed them to the others. When she was arrested, Sheriff Engle didn't like the looks of her arsenal and confiscated it all.

Mandy collected $2 at The Newspaper and chose to travel to the Black Cave, in order to save time in collecting the clues there. During the encounter, she was attacked by a gug, which all but destroyed her, as a result of her having been cursed earlier.

The investigators were saved by The Rumour One Thousand Young. Only two monsters ever reached Uptown, but it prevented one or all of the following: South Side Strangler, Good Work Undone, The Great Ritual, Disturbing The Dead and Endlessly Breeding.

I didn't keep track of sealing, with so much else going on, to wit:

Four Investigators arrested
Two cursed
Money Lost: Mandy ($7 Hibbs) Bob ($5 Train Station) Harvey ($8 arrested - retainer)

Two Elder Signs
Trading gate trophies for clues made the difference.

vs.
Azathoth

The only reason Harvey wasn't cursed on Turn 3 is that he had already been cursed on Turn 2.

On Turn 4, Jenny gave Harvey Call Ancient One. He did. As I was setting up for final battle, I recalled Azathoth's final battle condition (none) and tapped it back.

Harvey instead went to The Witch House, where he was sucked into the OW during his encounter. The sixth Mythos phase resulted in the seventh open gate.

Azathoth devoured the world. Maybe you noticed.

Carolyn, Amanda, Michael and Kate
vs.
Yig

The initial Mythos phase saw a Shoggoth appear Downtown and trap weaponless Carolyn and Amanda at work. Carolyn was delayed and Amanda cursed during their encounters.

Michael and Kate destroyed one DY each (recurring theme, see above).Michael also took care of a Dark Druid. When Carolyn finally escaped, thanks to Michael, she left a trail of Shug's milk, which the remaining monsters followed. This cleared the way nicely for freedom of movement, the collection of clues and the entrance of gates.

When Mandy entered Abyss at UI, the first thing she saw was a glowing light, and immediately returned to Arkham. Michael purchased an Elder Sign and sealed R'yleh at Indy Sq.

Mandy, having enough clues to seal, surrendered her Elder Sign to a cursed Amanda and then ducked into Another Dimension at The Science Bldg. Amanda slipped into The Abys.

Just after Carolyn failed to garner three clues, which would have helped her seal a gate, she was sucked into Celano. She again failed to gain clues there, but also wound up cursed.

Moments later, though, she found a dead and decaying monster, which gave her enough information to seal the gate she had come through.

Travelling through Abyss was a catharsis for Amanda, and her curse was lifted. All three gates were sealed, a curse not even being sufficient to thwart a determined Carolyn (two sixes).

Mandy traded her gate trophies to the Science Lab for study in exchange for information previous study had given them. She checked into the hospital for treatment, entered Dreamlands and ended the battle.

Two Elder Signs
Kate three seals
Three Curses, including Amanda twice

I'm running short on time and will finish up in the very near future, probably tomorrow.

Thanks for reading.

If this is too much and breaking it into eight different posts, let me know. I didn't proof read, so hopefully the typos are at a minimum.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
Jenny, with five clued, gave one Elder Sign to Harvey and one to Bob.

2 Elder Signs, man!

Quote:
A gate opened on Mandy at The Science Bldg and sank into a repulsive goo. Harvey saw her distress through his Dragon Eye and rescued her.

Heh, interesting remark. I've always just assumed (and played) that DE can only be used by the investigator who has it. Card doesn't have any wording to indicate one way or the other really.

Quote:
Two Elder Signs got things started. Fortunately for Jenny and the crew, she bought plenty of weapons early and distributed them to the others.

Seriously, each game seems to have 2 Elder Signs, shuffle better !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Rauli

I do get awfully lucky sometimes with multiple elder signs, but I only use one expansion (small box only) at a time, which is, at most, sixty-one unique items (one every twelve cards).

At the beginning of the game when searching for Sister Mary's fixed Holy Water, I've seen three Elder signs on the bottom of the deck. I was going through the spell deck one time and four Wither spells came all in a row about midway.

I also seem to get an inordinate number of games in which the first seven Mythos gates open gates in seven different locations. Makes for a short game when the investigators are blocked from gates as a result of no weapons and high to-hit monster numbers. (See my previous eight scenario series vs. BGotW. Eight awakenings. Never more than seventeen Mythos phases). Six losses.

In this series, I had one at seven and one at six. Twenty-five percent, when three locations have thirteen cards each. 5-3, won-loss.

I use random number generation to ensure that the decks are full shuffled.

My thinking about Dragon Eye is exactly opposite yours. It never dawned on me that it couldn't be used arbitrarily, if, for no other reason, than it contains the word "Eye" and we're talking about a magical world.

I'd like to know how others interpret it.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Dam asked me to drop by and comment on the Dragon Eye:

Dragon's Eye wrote:

Any Phase: Exhaust and lose 1 Sanity after drawing a gate or location card to draw a new card in its place.

This can only be used by the player that owns it and happens to be drawing at that moment. Cards effects don't transfer over to another investigator unless specifically stated. The wording can be assumed to say: "YOU Exhaust and lose 1 Sanity after YOU draw a gate or location card..."

Compare for example: Elder Sign: "Any Phase: When sealing a gate, lose 1 Stamina and 1 Sanity and return this card to the box...." They use the same "passive" language that assumes "when YOU are sealing a gate."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.