Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was there a thread somewhere about "mouldy" disease cubes? I seem to remember one, but can't seem to find it.

My yellow cubes which were a pristine uniform yellow when I got them, now vary greatly in colour from yellow to almost green. Some of them even have green blotches.

I knew I should have cleaned up Mexico City quicker in that last game... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene
United States
Venice
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Watch where you point that thing :)
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a problem with some copies of 1960 The Making of the President.
Hadn't heard about it happening with Pandemic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Richardson
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mouldy cubes sound...diseased. Better wear gloves handling those.

Oh well, at least if you catch a disease from your game cubes, the National Health will have you right as rain in no time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I don't know where the thread is, but moldy cubes in Pandemic have been a problem. 1960 and Duel in the Dark had mold problems, too. I'd love to get the new reprint of Kings & Things coming out, but I won't buy a game from Z-man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least they certainly add to the theme!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Closer inspection reveals the red cubes also have some mysterious new dark blotches on them.

The black and blue cubes have managed to escape the trauma so far, but I'm starting to wonder if I should quarantine them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about storing your boardgames in a nice living room cupboard instead of the shelf in the damp and musty cellar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And what am I supposed to do if I happen to live in a damp musty cellar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ian.

I know of at least two such threads:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/368352
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/373231

I had the same problem, even with the cards:

A note to Zev, and I had a replacement deck of player cards and a full set of cubes sent out to me. Send him an email. I'm sure he'll sort you out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
broady wrote:
And what am I supposed to do if I happen to live in a damp musty cellar?

Then moldy cubes probably shouldn't be at the top of your problems list...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be sending Zev an email later. I know all about their excellent customer service already. When I first got Pandemic I found one of my research stations has a big chunk missing out of it giving it a sort of lop sided appearance. A totally trivial cosmetic matter that Zev didn't hesitate to put right.

My cubes don't quite look like the white-ish mould on the picture above though. They look like they've... "turned".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ian, the mould in that picture looks white because I sprayed them with a matte lacquer. It seems to at least slow the mould down, and changes the colour to the white you see above. It isn't a perfect solution, of course, which is why I was cheeky enough to request replacements. I'm glad I did, because the game is seeing fairly good play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine took a closer look at the cubes and reckons it's just sap. The cubes have probably been made with young wood, uncured or not properly cured wood and the sap is discolouring the paint.

Played for the first time since the discovery this weekend (on normal; one horrendous loss followed by one glorious victory). The mouldy/sappy cubes did not detract from my enjoyment of the game one bit. I don't think I'll bother Zev with this one, not unless they get dramatically worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My cubes look okay, aside from a single yellow cube that is a bit "chipped," although the paint held up fine. It is just misshapen, but I wouldn't go through the trouble of requesting a new set. As long as it is easily recognizable as a yellow cube, I've got no issue whatsoever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Lindner
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps there is indeed a mold issue, as I just recently bought Pandemic and my copy arrived with two dessicant packets in the box to absorb moisture. Normally I throw stuff like that away, but since I live in the oh-so-humid Houston area, I think I'll leave them in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.