Subject: Looking for best co-op game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Levy
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What games would you recommend as a co-op game with a traitor(s).
I don't want Battlestar Galactica, however.

Is Shadows over Camelot the best choice in this category? Is it viable with only 4 players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthan Heiselt
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You could look at 1 vs many games like Descent: Journeys in the Dark or Fury of Dracula (second edition).

Also, the Pandemic expansion will add a 'bio-terrorist' where one player works against the team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Shadows over Camelot isn't bad. As far as number of players, the user votes on its game page say:
Best with 5, 6, 7 players
Recommended with 4, 5, 6, 7 players

I was going to mention the Pandemic expansion too.

I think I have heard of a couple other co-ops with traitors, but I'm not sure. Anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game

'Nuff said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalidor wrote:

"Best" of anything depends on your tastes. Both Battlestar Galactica and Shadows require a significantly higher tolerance for rules overhead and posterial fortitude than Pandemic. Pandemic is simpler, quicker and the equal of the other two. I'd recommend if first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Levy
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I didn't realize that bit about the bio-terrorist in the upcoming Pandemic expansion. My group has played Pandemic, and enjoyed it for the most part. Perhaps we'll give that a try once it becomes available...

I'm curious.. what's the normal winning % on the hardest difficulty in the base game? It seems like, after we became accustomed to the game, we won about 75% of the time. Now I'm wondering if that % is WAY higher than normal because we perhaps played it wrong somehow.

Also, back to my original question, I realize it's tough for us to actually play a game with the co-op and traitor mix, since we normally only have 4 people to play with. So I was wondering if people with Shadows over Camelot experience would truly HIGHLY recommend playing it with 4 players, or if there was another game that would fit the bill(besides BSG).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
HairyPotter wrote:
Ah, I didn't realize that bit about the bio-terrorist in the upcoming Pandemic expansion. My group has played Pandemic, and enjoyed it for the most part. Perhaps we'll give that a try once it becomes available...

I'm curious.. what's the normal winning % on the hardest difficulty in the base game? It seems like, after we became accustomed to the game, we won about 75% of the time. Now I'm wondering if that % is WAY higher than normal because we perhaps played it wrong somehow.

Also, back to my original question, I realize it's tough for us to actually play a game with the co-op and traitor mix, since we normally only have 4 people to play with. So I was wondering if people with Shadows over Camelot experience would truly HIGHLY recommend playing it with 4 players, or if there was another game that would fit the bill(besides BSG).

It seems that Pandemic: On the Brink is going to fit your criteria well. It plays to 5 (officially) with the expansion and even with fewer players allows for the 'traitor'/terrorist. It also gives you alternate roles and epidemic cards to make the game more difficult (if the terrorist working against you isn't hard enough).

Also until the expansion is released you might take a look at this thread to make your base Pandemic set more difficult...Pandemic: FIne tuning the difficulty levels

---
I've played Shadows a handful of times but I don't even think of it unless we have at least 6 players. I just picked up the expansion to play to 8 so I'm eager for large groups.

Because I own both, I pull out pandemic for 2-5 players and Shadows for 6-7 (now 6-8) and I've been quite happy with both.

I was really excited to be able to read the rule book for the new Pandemic expansion also. Check out Z-man games' website. It looks like a ton of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always the "corrupt hobbit" variant of Lord of the Rings.

As traitor games go, I can't recommend Shadows over Camelot highly enough, it's great. Thinking back, I think I have played it w/4 people and it worked well.

I'll second Saboteur too, it's a great inexpensive little card game with fun details, and one or more hidden traitors.

Red November is a good co-op where all hell breaks loose. There is an option for one gnome to choose to turn traitor and abandon ship towards the end. If you have 4 players, this game would be perfect, as it plays great with that number, and in fact you wouldn't want to play it with more than 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Sr
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Is Shadows over Camelot the best choice in this category? Is it viable with only 4 players?

Kalidor wrote:

Nuff said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
neverwhere68 wrote:
Quote:

Kalidor wrote:

Nuff said.

Ditto.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Gan
Philippines
Quezon City
NCR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows Over Camelot does fit your criteria. So does Red November. But I think Shadows Over Camelot has more replayability than Red November.

Pandemic is also fun and the expansion should add another dimension to what's already a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Resneck
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows over Camelot remains one of my favorite games of all time. I can't recommend it enough. However, I think that different people look for different things out of the game; I personally enjoy the game with a heavy role-playing emphasis, but I know that this is not so for everyone. Therefore, make sure that the three other players want the same thing from the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geeklist of the Best Co-op games:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/38501
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raiyfe wrote:
Shadows Over Camelot does fit your criteria. So does Red November. But I think Shadows Over Camelot has more replayability than Red November.

Pandemic is also fun and the expansion should add another dimension to what's already a great game.

Honestly, I like Battlestar Galactica better than either SOC or Red Nov, so I'm curious what the objection to the former is. That said...

I've found Red November to be more interesting, myself. SOC tries to shoehorn in more different quests, but it becomes too specialized. A gnome can try to take on a missile launch with no equipment, they'll just be bad at it. Throw a Knight into the Grail Quest randomly, and they're just wasting their time. That more generalized game play comes at the expense of higher randomness, but it's worth it IMHO.

I haven't gotten a chance to play the Pandemic expansion yet, so I can't comment there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't touch SoC unless we have at least 5. Traitors in small games become very powerful. I would have to go with Pandemic. However, the game feels more like a puzzle than a game where you are playing against an opponent. If you don't get to this random location within 2 moves, you lose the game. You either know to get there or not. It's like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
To the OP: do you want games with an unknown traitor or would you play a "one against many" game was well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.