Hopefully becoming a restaurant owner soon! Peter Melanson
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a lifelong hockey fan. I have watched many an NHL game on television and at this time of year I am usually camped out in front of the television watching this great sport.

I have defended this game. I have always thought fighting had a place in the sport. I've played the game and have a pretty firm understanding why fighting happens in this sport.

But after what I saw in game 5 last night in Boston, I am beginning to wonder if I should change my tune.

Aaron Ward of the Bruins was sucker punched with a few minutes left in a game Boston was leading 4-0.

Currently the rules state that any player getting an instigator penalty with less that 5 minutes remaining in a game is to get an automatic one game suspension.

So the NHL, wanting to crack down on this behaviour has suspended other players for this type of infraction. But what do they do this time?

The revoke the automatic suspension and fine Scott Walker $2500. His salary is $2.5 million dollars a year. That would be akin to fining me 30 cents for going 100mph in a 25mph zone.

It will be a very happy day for me when the NHL finally fires Gary Bettman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hobbespm wrote:
The revoke the automatic suspension and fine Scott Walker $2500. His salary is $2.5 million dollars a year. That would be akin to fining me 30 cents for going 100mph in a 25mph zone.

You only make $300 a year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Pierce
United States
Tangent
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always felt that fighting is an important part of the game and can be a valuable tool for a team to use in the right situations. However, sucker punching another player in the final minutes of a game when your team is down by four goals is not fighting. It is unsportsmanlike conduct and is a detriment to the sport.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have similar feelings about the knee-on-knee hit Olvechkin put on Sergei Gonchar of the Pens in Game 4 of the Pens-Caps series. It was obvious that Olvechkin made a run at Gonchar, and he injured him badly enough for him to miss the rest of Game 4, all of Game 5, Game 6 tonight, and who know how many more? Olvechkin is well known for taking runs at guys with intent to hurt and even injury, so this is nothing new. And what did the league do to their #1 goal-scorer for his hit...Absolutely nothing. No suspension, no fine, no penalty, nothing. If a 3rd liner makes that same hit on Gonchar, I guarantee at least a one game suspension and a fine. However, the NHL's double standard in how it treats its gate attraction versus everyone else was in plain view in Game 4. At least the Pens got the satisfaction of winning the game, but assuming they finish off the Caps, the loss of their best defensemen makes a return to the Cup Finals much less likely. I sometimes think that what Mario Lemieux said about the NHL years ago is still true - it's a garage league. Having said that, I hope we both win Game 6 tonight, thereby eliminating the Caps, and injury Alex the Goon as well...if the league isn't going to take care of business, the players should.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
I have similar feelings about the knee-on-knee hit Olvechkin put on Sergei Gonchar of the Pens in Game 4 of the Pens-Caps series. It was obvious that Olvechkin made a run at Gonchar, and he injured him badly enough for him to miss the rest of Game 4, all of Game 5, Game 6 tonight, and who know how many more? Olvechkin is well known for taking runs at guys with intent to hurt and even injury, so this is nothing new. And what did the league do to their #1 goal-scorer for his hit...Absolutely nothing. No suspension, no fine, no penalty, nothing. If a 3rd liner makes that same hit on Gonchar, I guarantee at least a one game suspension and a fine. However, the NHL's double standard in how it treats its gate attraction versus everyone else was in plain view in Game 4. At least the Pens got the satisfaction of winning the game, but assuming they finish off the Caps, the loss of their best defensemen makes a return to the Cup Finals much less likely. I sometimes think that what Mario Lemieux said about the NHL years ago is still true - it's a garage league. Having said that, I hope we both win Game 6 tonight, thereby eliminating the Caps, and injury Alex the Goon as well...if the league isn't going to take care of business, the players should.

Now I've watched that over and over again, and if Gonchar TAKES the hit instead of trying to get out of the way, he falls to the ice, shows up on highlight reels for the night, and then plays the rest of the game.

A LOT of knee on knee collisions are because the player about to be hit tries to get out of the way. Beleive me I know, I've had 2 knee surgeries because someone tried to get out of my way as I tried to deliver a hit. Ovechkin could have easily been hurt in that play too.

Ovechkin a goon? That's the biggest laugh I've had in a while. He's a good player. I've watched him for a long time and think he is definately one of the premiere players in the league. If I go by your line of thinking, then Sidney Crosby is an even bigger goon because he has dropped the gloves a few times this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
Hobbespm wrote:

Would 30 cents for speeding be a deterrent to anyone?

If you made 2.5 million a year, $2500 would not be a deterrent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hobbespm wrote:
thermogimp wrote:
Hobbespm wrote:

Would 30 cents for speeding be a deterrent to anyone?

If you made 2.5 million a year, $2500 would not be a deterrent.

My point is that you're exaggerating a bit. It's more like the equivalent of being fined $50 on the spot for a DUI offense and then being allowed to drive home. You're out $50, but you didn't get dragged to jail for the night with a possible license suspension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hobbespm wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

Now I've watched that over and over again, and if Gonchar TAKES the hit instead of trying to get out of the way, he falls to the ice, shows up on highlight reels for the night, and then plays the rest of the game.

A LOT of knee on knee collisions are because the player about to be hit tries to get out of the way. Beleive me I know, I've had 2 knee surgeries because someone tried to get out of my way as I tried to deliver a hit. Ovechkin could have easily been hurt in that play too.

Ovechkin a goon? That's the biggest laugh I've had in a while. He's a good player. I've watched him for a long time and think he is definately one of the premiere players in the league. If I go by your line of thinking, then Sidney Crosby is an even bigger goon because he has dropped the gloves a few times this year.

I never said Ovechkin wasn't a premier player, but that absolutely does NOT preclude his being a goon, which he is. It's no secret that Alex goes WAY out of his way to go headhunting during games, which frankly is a shame, because he's a good enough player that he doesn't have to do the headhunting. Ovechkin will be an even better player once he concentrates on scoring, passing once in a while, and forgetting about taking runs at guys. In a way, he reminds me of Eric Lindros, who was another guy with great talent who couldn't resist gooning it up, and it eventually cost him. All I'm saying is that Ovechkin better watch himself, because that stuff will eventually catch up to him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leo's right about the vigilante factor. My season-ticket days go back to the WHA--so I'm a fan. When the league screws up, the players take numbers. Rest assured Walker will be eating lumber soon enough.

The hit on Gonchar was borderline, but IMO there was no attempt to injure. Watch Ovechkin skate: he's always got his thighs spread in that duck-waddle. Add to that Gonchar's his BFF, and I don't see it. Not that #8 isn't a tool, 'cause he is. And you're 100% right that if a third-liner makes that hit, he gets suspended, but that would happen even if there was no attempt to injure, which is even more indicative of the league's double standard.

Fans of Pitt/Wash needn't fret too much over any moot result, though. I've watched the whole series, and neither one of those teams will be any match for either Bos/Car. What a stunning 5-game display of timid, inept hockey their series has been.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
At least Bettman did something. David Stern would ignore it (well unless you're a Magic player.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Hockey that thing like figure skating with sticks? I think I saw that once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt F
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Is Hockey that thing like figure skating with sticks? I think I saw that once.

My guess is a certain microbadged German philosopher might enjoy the game...

"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see."

--Arthur Schopenhauer

(It's a stretch. But it's the best I could find.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.