5 Posts

1960: The Making of the President» Forums » Rules

Subject: Add/Substract/Gain rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luca Oghina
Romania
flag msg tools
Ok, I have seen that all of you agree that add-ing means anything from adding cubes to your own states, adding cubes to states that aren't lead by any player and substracting cubes from the enemy player's states.
But why are there 2 wordings in the game? ADD and GAIN? I really think that gaining means that you can do all 3 of the above while adding (to unite or join so as to increase the number, quantity, size, or importance http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/add ) means that you can only add cubes to states you own.

I tried to play both versions of the game (add/gain) and when we added only to states we already owned, campaigning with CP became more important and in the end there were 3-4 states with no cubes on them thus making endorsment and border-colour pretty important.
While in the second type with adding meaning about anyting (add/gain/substract) there were no more empty states (without support cubes on them) and campaigning using CP was pretty much futile. We almost entirely played events and the CP was used on debate issues for the markers and endorsements, endorsements that became totally useless in the end of the game (excepting the 3 support checks for state-cards and maybe one or two election day events).
So think a little about it and try my version of the rulling, it kinda sounds better.

And I have one more question about issue CP placement. The first cube in EACH space costs only 1CP? or the first cube ever placed on the certain phase costs 1CP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding your second question, yes - the first cube placed on each issue during your turn costs only 1 CP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Leonhard
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the two words can be considered equivalent; at least, I can't think of any cases in the rules where there's a meaningful distinction between them. In general, the word "add" is used where the player has an element of choice, e.g. "the player may add 3 support anywhere", while the word "gain" is used where something simply happens with no player involvement, e.g. "the player gains 3 support in New York".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Leonhard
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The words "subtract" and "lose" are parallel cases: "subtract" is used where the player must choose where to remove support, e.g. "the player must subtract 3 support anywhere", while "lose" is used where a loss is simply applied with no player involvement, e.g. "the player loses 3 support in New York".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Oghina
Romania
flag msg tools
Yeah, I understand what you are saying, but still... I find the game more complex and interesting with adding used only for putting state support cubes on your own states. Otherwise the game pretty much becomes less interesting in the part where you use cp to make campaigns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.