United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I'm giving them pure gold in another thread, but so far, no phone calls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Keuler
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a minute I was excited, thinking that they were actually going to make a movie about The Running Man, about the story that is, not just the title.

No such luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's time!!

We can help!!

Ladies and gentlemen,

CHIT CHAT: THE MOVIE!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is just a matter of time before we start seeing movies based on television shows that were based on movies. I'm thinking M.A.S.H., The Odd Couple, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm cool with it, if they stick to the story this time. Protagonist fighting with his guts hanging out. Oh yeah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
In other news, fighting intensifies in the Middle East, inflation is on the rise, and time continues to move in a forward direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Drew1365 wrote:
Erniepaul wrote:
I think it is just a matter of time before we start seeing movies based on television shows that were based on movies. I'm thinking M.A.S.H., The Odd Couple, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, etc.

I think we've already seen that, but . . . I'm having a hard time coming up with a title.

The Producers was originally a movie made into a Broadway play, which was then adapted back into a movie. Is that what you're thinking of, by chance?

And Ernie, Joe ... check the original article. This isn't a remake of The Running Man so much as it's American Gladiators: The Movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Also, Hollywood was running out of ideas 15 years ago, but they're still finding comic books, kids' toys, and 70s/80s television shows to turn into movies. I think we've got a long slog before the well runs dry.

I totally agree. I am also amazed at the number of songs that are constantly being redone.

whistleI think there are very few unique or original ideas out there anymore, except for mine ... things like a mix of crunchy peanut butter and sand as a Lubricant devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
How about an Airwolf movie! Or The A-team? Or M.A.S.K.?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This topic was already covered: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3424611#3424611

I'm guessing the remake of Running Man will have massive explosions, CGI, robots, holocaust and the Eiffel Tower collapsing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Erniepaul wrote:

I think we've already seen that, but . . . I'm having a hard time coming up with a title. (EDIT: I seem to recall that the two post-Stargate SG-1 movies were originally considered for theatrical releases.)

Also, Hollywood was running out of ideas 15 years ago, but they're still finding comic books, kids' toys, and 70s/80s television shows to turn into movies. I think we've got a long slog before the well runs dry.

I've resigned myself to the fact that the really creative filmmaking/storytelling being done these days is for the small screen.

And on the flip side, there is tons of literature, novels, plays, etc., that have never been made into movies that are fresh and interesting ideas!!

Of course the evil there is that they "improve" the story when they translate it to film!shake

We kept being fed recycled garbage over and over. That's why I search for non-English language releases, documentaries, and indie films to find something fresh!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
mb
Last month, I re-read Connie Willis' "Fire Watch," and thought that it would make a very good movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Verkisto wrote:
In other news, fighting intensifies in the Middle East, inflation is on the rise, and time continues to move in a forward direction.

I want so badly to go back to 1982. soblue

Sheesh, what did I do? cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:
And on the flip side, there is tons of literature, novels, plays, etc., that have never been made into movies that are fresh and interesting ideas!!

I'm not sure what's been up with them lately, but for awhile there it seemed like Walden Media was picking some great children's books and turning them into really good movies.

This seems a positive trend, and much preferred to the typical crappy kid movie that's just a vehicle for a hundred fart jokes.

If you look strictly at the Newberry winners and Honors, there is scope for lots of very good children's films/mini-series across all genres of literature!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hollywood is in fear mode methinks. Original ideas seem to be against the grind when a group of people is in fear mode.

Technology is now present for so many individuals to do Indie. Most will of course be crap, but since Hollywood is only giving crap for the most part, that's OK.

Fortunately, there will be some gems amongst the crap that should catch the eye and be shown to the world. I think Indie is one of the big things Hollywood fears.

I also agree with Mrs. Mystery that foreign filmmakers will continue to bring us original works as they have less to lose than Hollywood does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Verkisto wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Erniepaul wrote:

I think we've already seen that, but . . . I'm having a hard time coming up with a title.

The Producers was originally a movie made into a Broadway play, which was then adapted back into a movie. Is that what you're thinking of, by chance?

As was Hairspray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we're due for another incarnation of Buck Rogers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hollywood ran out of ideas. Hollywood stopped producing interesting and original films some time around 1970.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:

Technically, this last part is somewhat subject to debate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don’t know what he laced them with, but I’ve been tripping all day.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
edosan wrote:
Verkisto wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Erniepaul wrote:

As was Hairspray.

I think Mel Brooks' Robin Hood: Men in Tights was half a recycling of bits from his old TV show When Things Were Rotten and half a parody of Costner's Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (which desperately cried out for someone to make fun of it.)

And wasn't Young Frankenstein turned into a musical?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
Hollywood ran out of ideas. Hollywood stopped producing interesting and original films some time around 1970.

You have to go to at least 1972 or 1974 at a minimum. Then you can sound the death knell of Hollywood ingenuity.

EDIT: Oops, there was a brief flash of goodness in 1987. Not quite dead yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
pronoblem wrote:

You have to go to at least 1972 or 1974 at a minimum. Then you can sound the death knell of Hollywood ingenuity.

EDIT: Oops, there was a brief flash of goodness in 1987. Not quite dead yet.

All three were novels made into films. That's part of the problem... Hollywood movies have become a story telling medium for book to film translation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it sucks that there are so many remakes, but Christ you guys sound like a bunch of old farts.

You know that they still make good movies right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
Yes it sucks that there are so many remakes, but Christ you guys sound like a bunch of old farts.

You know that they still make good movies right?

Yes, independent and foreign films mostly, but I have not seen one from a Hollywood production in many years... and some directors I love their early work but they suck when the get the big budgets like Steven Soderbergh and Darren Aronofsky for example... Aronofsky is doing the RoboCop remake (The Fountain was so-so) and of course Soderbergh lost it with many crappy remakes of Ocean's Eleven, Solaris and his bastardization of A Scanner Darkly.

I challenge you to name a 20 great major studio films in the past 30 years that could stack up to classic cinema... I bet you cannot. Yeah, there's been some entertaining stuff... but nothing that I would call great, or art, or very original. I'd like to see such list because I gave up on Hollywood ten years ago. I am lucky if I see more than one film a year at this point, usually a kids film. Wall-E was the last thing I saw.

Right now, I think Guy Madden and Cory McAbee are the ones that I would watch and that are doing something original and interesting while at the same time some popular appeal.

EDIT: I really need to proofread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.