Popular Tags: [View All]
Pokke
Belgium
Werchter
optional
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Does anyone know where to find a good listing of all keywords that are on the cards?

I have downloaded the rules for the Xth edition but words like "lifelink" or "champion" are not included in those. Well, maybe they are but there are words that are not yet added.

Obviously it's all explained on the web (on different sites) but I would be interested in a handy complete listing so that I can print these.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wikipedia has a comprehensive list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Magic:_The_Gathering_keywords
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.wizards.com/magic/rules/Keywords_08242007.pdf

This is from the Wizards website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokke
Belgium
Werchter
optional
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks very much! This should make our games go a lot faster now!

Another related question: what do you do if a card with a Discontinued Keyword pops up? A creature with banding for instance? Do you just treat it as a regular creature or do you use the banding?

We play the game as explained in this (excellent) thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/382910
Which means that a lot of the older cards pop up and that's where my question comes from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Beck
United States
St Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
If you ever have a question regaurding the older keywords, do a google search and generaly there will be several.
BTW banding is the ability to "band" together any banding creatures when attacking or defending. (pool their respective att/def)
also if you search for the older rules you can get disputing terminology regaurding the "what happends after...?" Flanking is the S...

The url is broken up and does not work in this format:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Magic:_The_Gathering_keywords
ctrl c /p it instead
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Fightmaster
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pokke wrote:
Another related question: what do you do if a card with a Discontinued Keyword pops up? A creature with banding for instance?

Most of the old keywords shouldn't be that much of a problem for you and will probably play nice with more recent cards. With that wikipedia page (see above) to hand, you ought to be able to bodge through OK.

On the other hand, I personally would just ignore the word 'banding' wherever you see it. It's a really old keyword that hasn't seen print for years. Frankly, the rules for it are a bit of a mess and even some of the game's veteran players have trouble getting their heads around it. My personal opinion (when playing in a fashion similar to yourself) is that it's not worth the trouble it causes and that it'll cause more frustration than enjoyment. I seriously recommend just ignoring the fact that some cards have the ability.

In short: Use the excellent wiki page for all keywords and you'll be fine, they'll probably mesh together fantastically no matter what edition they're from. But avoid banding like the plague, its rules are clunky, it's liable to annoy you, new cards aren't made with it in mind (as, I think I'm right in saying, it no longer exists in the official rules) and it's basically just not worth the hassle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Pokke wrote:
Thanks very much! This should make our games go a lot faster now!

Another related question: what do you do if a card with a Discontinued Keyword pops up? A creature with banding for instance? Do you just treat it as a regular creature or do you use the banding?

A discontinued keyword is just one they don't include in newly developed cards anymore - it hasn't been 'stricken from the lexicon' like, say, the Interrupt card type has. The creature still has the ability and is costed for having the ability - you should play it with its ability.

At its core, banding on defense is quite simple: normally, the attacking player decides how the attacking creatures' damage is distributed when more than one creature blocks a single attacker; but if the blocking gang includes at least one banding creature, it's the defending player that makes the damage assignment decisions.

Banding on offense is much more complicated and much less useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokke
Belgium
Werchter
optional
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
OK. Many thanks all! I doubt that I have much cards with banding anyway, but sometimes it did show up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.