United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We recently thrifted a copy of Quicksand, mostly because of the fun bits: four explorers that come apart in pieces, and an alligator die. I set it up and read through the rules, and LordDillon agreed to give it a try.

I had assumed it was a vanilla roll-and-move, but upon closer inspection, the die had a blank side, and didn't have all the numbers. It turns out that you move based on how many pieces of your explorer are intact (you gain and lose pieces throughout the game). You can choose to roll the movement die, and add that number to the number of pieces of your explorer that are intact, but since there is a blank side, you may end up with the same move, anyway. Sometimes you can't cheat fate.

We put our pieces on start (LordDillon was red, I was blue) and rolled the alligator die. This die tells us how many pieces of our explorer to remove. LordDillon didn't have to remove any yuk, but I only had to remove one. LordDillon had a default movement of 5 spaces, to my four.

That soon changed, though, as we made out way down the first stretch. We sank into quicksand, and there wasn't much left of us. We used the movement die to give us extra bursts of movement, and by the time we made it around to the third side of the board, we were full strength and full speed again.

LordDillon was ahead, but he hit some bad luck with a few die rolls, which brought him down to only his hat. We were on the same space, but he could only move one square forward, while I could reach home on my next turn.

The game only took 15 minutes, and there was enough to do (adding and subtracting pieces, deciding whether to roll the die, rolling the alligator die, moving your opponent back) that it kept things interesting. Will I play it every day? No, but am I glad I tried it? Absolutely. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked this up a while back and have to agree with you on every point!
A really cute little game with great parts and a fun bit of low intensity game play.

Great pictures of the game, by the way! Good job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.