Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Skirmish Wars: Advance Tactics» Forums » General

Subject: artscow deck? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that its ready, it seems ripe for a cool set of printed cards. I'd love to make a set including a deck or two to represent the game's money.

Is there any of the raw artwork available for it outside of the new pdf?

Also, I have a question about values of zero and below for the terrain-damage cross-reference chart. Are they necessary?
If they weren't on the chart, it would be easier to print as just another card:



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The negative numbers let weaker units hurt stronger units. If you took them out without any other modifications to the game Mech units couldn't hurt Artillery or Tank units. It pretty much breaks the game. You'd have to redesign all the units from scratch. It's that large because I just ported the numbers over from Advanced Wars as directly as I could.

As awesome as seeing the game printed out semi-professionally I don't know how balanced the units and COs are right now. I'm not "in charge" of the project, so I don't know what future plans are either.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well in all of my playtesting I thought the units felt just like they do in Advance Wars, which is what we were going for. I think with the table resolution the combat balances out very well. I think the only unit I would "think" about changing might be the Med-Tank, but I really think it is fine especially if you limit the amount of them that can be built.

As for the Artscow decks I can get the files together for people to use for Artscow. I was kind of planning on waiting until the naval and air units were available, but if people want them now I can release them. I will give it a few weeks before I release them however in case more problems are found.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MusedFable wrote:
The negative numbers let weaker units hurt stronger units. If you took them out without any other modifications to the game Mech units couldn't hurt Artillery or Tank units. It pretty much breaks the game. You'd have to redesign all the units from scratch. It's that large because I just ported the numbers over from Advanced Wars as directly as I could.

As awesome as seeing the game printed out semi-professionally I don't know how balanced the units and COs are right now. I'm not "in charge" of the project, so I don't know what future plans are either.


Ok, that makes sense why the initial damage would be negative, but then with dice it may resolve to 0. Is that helpful because a card can modify it to a positive integer of damage?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TGov wrote:
Well in all of my playtesting I thought the units felt just like they do in Advance Wars, which is what we were going for. I think with the table resolution the combat balances out very well. I think the only unit I would "think" about changing might be the Med-Tank, but I really think it is fine especially if you limit the amount of them that can be built.

As for the Artscow decks I can get the files together for people to use for Artscow. I was kind of planning on waiting until the naval and air units were available, but if people want them now I can release them. I will give it a few weeks before I release them however in case more problems are found.


Maybe waiting to print them would be better since there's not 54 of the cards yet. I was kinda thinking about using the spares and another deck for the money.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Is that helpful because a card can modify it to a positive integer of damage?


Can you explain what you mean there a little bit more? I am not sure what you are asking.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TGov wrote:
Quote:
Is that helpful because a card can modify it to a positive integer of damage?


Can you explain what you mean there a little bit more? I am not sure what you are asking.


Just looking for rules clarification. I don't understand why rolling a dice to resolve the damage to 0 helps you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The dice don't modify the initial damage number. The dice represent the "luck" factor that was in the original video game. There was a certain percentage of probability that you could do one additional point of damage in battle. So even if your initial damage number is 0 or less than 0 you still have a small percentage chance to inflict one point of damage if the die roll is successful.

For example in the video game, if a full strength infantry unit attacked a Med-Tank unit sometimes you would do 1 point of damage and sometimes you wouldn't. That was the luck factor that was determined for you in the game and what the dice represent.

That example may not be entirely accurate as far as what units but I hope that gives you an idea.

The luck factor was also represented in Nell's power and super power. Nell's powers boosted your luck factor in the game. This is represented on her cards by increasing the probability that you will be successful.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TGov wrote:
The dice don't modify the initial damage number. The dice represent the "luck" factor that was in the original video game. There was a certain percentage of probability that you could do one additional point of damage in battle. So even if your initial damage number is 0 or less than 0 you still have a small percentage chance to inflict one point of damage if the die roll is successful.

For example in the video game, if a full strength infantry unit attacked a Med-Tank unit sometimes you would do 1 point of damage and sometimes you wouldn't. That was the luck factor that was determined for you in the game and what the dice represent.

That example may not be entirely accurate as far as what units but I hope that gives you an idea.

The luck factor was also represented in Nell's power and super power. Nell's powers boosted your luck factor in the game. This is represented on her cards by increasing the probability that you will be successful.


Ahhh, I get it now. I misread the second paragraph on page 7. If an infantry unit attacks a tank and the initial damage is -1, the corrected damage (for all terrain types in this case) is 0. If it was a road, and the dice roll was 3 or less, than 1 damage can still be done.


Really cool game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse McGatha
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:
TGov wrote:
As for the Artscow decks I can get the files together for people to use for Artscow. I was kind of planning on waiting until the naval and air units were available, but if people want them now I can release them. I will give it a few weeks before I release them however in case more problems are found.


Maybe waiting to print them would be better since there's not 54 of the cards yet. I was kinda thinking about using the spares and another deck for the money.


Having just made mine today (yay!) it occurs to me that now is a pretty good time if you plan to make 2 sets or want to split with someone else (if someone is looking for a 2nd, let me know!), since there are exactly 26 cards right now (each unit type x2, plus 1 of each commander).

Alternatively, if you want to do enough cards for 4-players and everyone to have a set, you come close to a full deck.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TGov wrote:

As for the Artscow decks I can get the files together for people to use for Artscow. I was kind of planning on waiting until the naval and air units were available, but if people want them now I can release them. I will give it a few weeks before I release them however in case more problems are found.


This ever happen?
And what's the ETA on the new units?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Air units aren't too far off. I have actually replaced the cards with a unit chart that fits every unit and stat onto one piece of paper. Much better for table space and such.

I haven't even begun to work on Naval rules yet. Not enough hours in the day with a 2 year old running around


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My question was more in regards files to be used for an artscow deck. I personally think the cards are better than a chart would be, but that's just me. In fact i was considering trying to seperate the terrain modifier chart into two cards to help take up some of the extra space in the deck.

How many air units are we looking at?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
18 including the sea units.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Is that 18 including the 9 we currently have, or 18 brand new units?
Because if that's 18 brand new units, i imagine that requires a crap ton of play testing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
18 total
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.