United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb

She suggested this nice ability:

I'm thinking of dropping it into place over:

Obviously this isn't a big change and wouldn't require anyone to remake their deck. The story tellers are not broken in any way. I just think the Recycler ability is more interesting.

The Story Tellers still are a big source of points, but the decisions they offer are mainly "Is it worth using an AK to dig through that discard pile for one more Story Teller". And "How long can I wait to play the Story Tellers since they don't do anything for me right now."

Whereas the Recyclers do much more:

"Is it worth using a student to get them down on the first turn?"
And as soon as they are in play, my opponent suddenly can't split a pair of jobs onto both discard piles. Makes their turn more interesting too.

All-in-all, I'm leaning towards the Recyclers, but I thought I'd get some more feedback.

As I stated above though, the Story Tellers work a-okay as they are and I'll be sure to leave them in the rules no matter what for those who got ArtsCow decks with them inside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's kind of hard to say, Sheamus, since the two cards are so very different. It will probably come down to the balance between Assistance cards (like Recycler) and point-scoring cards (like Story Teller. If you replace Story Teller with Recycler, will there be too few cards in the deck focused on point scoring?

Even though it would put it over the ArtsCow limit, you might want to try the game with both cards, just to see how it plays. A 59-60 card deck still isn't too big.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheamus Parkes
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
It's kind of hard to say, Sheamus, since the two cards are so very different. It will probably come down to the balance between Assistance cards (like Recycler) and point-scoring cards (like Story Teller. If you replace Story Teller with Recycler, will there be too few cards in the deck focused on point scoring?

Even though it would put it over the ArtsCow limit, you might want to try the game with both cards, just to see how it plays. A 59-60 card deck still isn't too big.

Hrm. In a way, all of the cards are about point scoring. Well, all except the Students really. It's just that most of the cards have secondary functions ("Assistance"). I don't think it would really break anything to tip the balance towards more "Assistance" cards. Heck, the Elder is in many ways an "Assistance" card since it bends my decisions towards using more Students if I have a couple of Elders in my hand already.

The story teller was actually one of the very first jobs I thought of. It took me forever to make the thing playable, but I always knew I wanted it's value to be based on the number of AK cards in play. Now that I'm happy with the ability, I just think it would be more interesting if it was an "Assistance" card instead of a pure points card. That, and Mary gave such a very good idea for another power.

I have playtested Recyclers a couple times by just tossing in a little sheet with the current ArtsCow decks. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten any amount of practice with it at all. I'll probably solo it a few times intentionally dumping some into an opening hand and see how it plays.

But as I stated, I've played a few games with the current ArtsCow deck. It works A-Okay and is rather balanced I think. I don't want anyone to think that Recycler heralds "Utopian Rummy 2.0 New and Improved" or anything.

And yes, if you ended up with 59ish cards it wouldn't break a thing. I was just tailoring it to an easy-to-use delivery system (ArtsCow). In fact, if I decide I like the Recyclers, I might order a deck of just Recyclers and offer to mail sets to other people that ordered the original deck on the cheap.

Thanks for the feedback Larry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.