Popular Tags: [View All]
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think the series rules in this game are pretty good but here is another question:

"Can rifle fire occur at units that are not adjacent?"

The "to hit" table has one column for "adjacent" and one for range "2-3 hexes." - Rule 3.2 says that units with an "R" can fire over greater distances. All this seems straightforward enough. BUT THEN:

Rule 10.2 states that rifle fire must be adjacent and rule 10.3 (step 1) states to use the adjacent column!

I'm thinking that rifle fire must be at an adjacent target IF there is a target adjacent?

Clarification?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lavoie
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the current edition of the rules for this great series (as published in Monmouth and dated 2007), rifle units can only fire at adjacent enemy units. It would appear that the rule may have been changed somewhere along the line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the same table is used for Rifle and Artillery and Artillery can fire at non-adjacent targets, that's why the non-adjacent column is included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonRMax wrote:
Since the same table is used for Rifle and Artillery and Artillery can fire at non-adjacent targets, that's why the non-adjacent column is included.

Perfect! Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian yerk
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Page 3 of the rulebook (series) states-

"Rifle unit: A light infantry or infantry unit which
is armed with rifles. Rifles permitted units to fire
over greater distances than units solely armed with
muskets. Rifle units are designated by a white ‘R’
in a black circle on the counter."

What is the benefit of having rifle units if their range is limited to 1 hex? I think the correct interpretation should be that the Rifle/Artillery Fire 'To Hit' Table should be construed as just that. Rifles have a greater range than muskets and can target enemies up to 4 hexes away (if strength > 1)

I think perhaps the adjacent bit in section 10.2 is an oversight that hasn't been corrected yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alpha Mastrano
Australia
Heidelberg
Victoria, Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The benefit is that Rifle units are allowed to fire in the Rifle Fire phase (they still must be adjacent to target) as well as attack in Close Combat phase (but they are not required to attack in Close Combat phase, unlike musket-armed units).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.