True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are trying to pare down our stuff. Our dream is to sell the house and drive around the country in an RV so we want to keep only the stuff that would fit, no storage rentals for us.

It's hard. Especially with games but even just useless things that you keep around for sentimental reasons. But we're making progress, slowly but surely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How dare you go past the fairy world of advertising? I think you could use some Reeducation...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was disappointed to see that in all the links on the site there wasn't one that said "facts behind the video". It's pretty clear that she's got an axe to grind, and from a purely practical point of view I think she should prioritize spelling out the data and sources behind her claims.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
She may be biased, but her basic point is a sound one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the more reason for her to demonstrate that it's sound. When I see someone using hyperbole or oversimplification in their descriptions (i.e. "extraction" means "trashing the place") it makes me wonder about their fact-claims. When they offer no support for their fact-claims, it makes me highly skeptical. And I'm (more or less) on her side.

Her approach makes it all too easy for those on the other side to dismiss her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, because the other side are ripe for conversion and would have embraced her philosophy without further ado if she'd only avoided hyperbole and cited supporting evidence. laugh

Joking aside, yes that would have been nice but I think she is playing to a particular target audience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
Everyone likes a piece of pie.
badge
That's wonderful. Good for you! I've always wanted to have a haunted house. It's been my lifelong dream!
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Yes, because the other side are ripe for conversion and would have embraced her philosophy without further ado if she'd only avoided hyperbole and cited supporting evidence. laugh

Joking aside, yes that would have been nice but I think she is playing to a particular target audience.

But then what is her target audience? People who already agree with her and need talking points? How useful are talking points if you can't back them up?

Plus, I'm not a big fan of this "other side" accusation. Not because there aren't people out who aren't like that, but because it assumes that there are people out there that can't be convinced. We don't live in two camps that hate each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was being condescending, which was wrong of me. Anyway, of course, she could provide back up information in another bit of the website without detracting from the simplicity and directness of her message, so I was wrong there too.

As for the other side, I just don't think anybody's going to persuade the Koldfoots of this world of the dangers of envrionmental degradation any time soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not thinking about convincing the wingnuts. I'm just saying that, assuming there are undecided people you want to convince, the worst thing you can do is mix hyperbolic rhetoric with lack of backup. The point about making it easy for the other side to dismiss isn't that you hoped to persuade them but rather that you don't want them to undermine your ability to persuade others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
I was disappointed to see that in all the links on the site there wasn't one that said "facts behind the video". It's pretty clear that she's got an axe to grind, and from a purely practical point of view I think she should prioritize spelling out the data and sources behind her claims.

They're in the annotated script.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn. You mean now I have to go back and maybe change my opinion?

Edit to add: OK, so far my opinion is changing for the worse.

Take this line, which struck me as absurd:

StoryofStuff wrote:
Where I live, in the United States, we have less than 4% of our original forests left."

Four percent? Really? Come on, even if you pretend that Alaska isn't a state there's no way that happened in recent years, so I assumed she was using some B.S. approach where she takes the forest level of 50K years ago or something. It's less honest than that. Her footnote says:

Footnote to that crap wrote:
Ninety-five to ninety-eight percent of forests in the Continental United States have been logged at least once since settlement by Europeans.

So forget that she says United States but means ex-Alaska, she's also taking a figure for forests that have been logged ever and claiming that those forests have been destroyed.

Now some of her sources are solid. But she quotes opinion pieces to back up fact-claims and a ton of her sources are highly biased. To support her claim that more than half of the federal budget goes to the military, for example, she cites www.warresisters.org, who reach their figure by assigning 80% of our interest payments to the military as well as adding in their own estimate of the extra-budgetary costs of the war on terror and then deducting things like Social Security from the budget altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to see you didn't have to change your opinion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
How much truth do you think there is to this claim? I heard someone mention it the other day... it was BBC or NPR radio, a dialog about population growth and all the things that go along: disease, consumption & resources, effects of natural disasters, effects of war refugees, poverty, etc... The person speaking (I forget their qualification, they were from some Uni, an anthologist or economist?) said that most people in the world do want to live a lifestyle like the European one and that if everyone the in the world did that we'd only be able to support 2 billion people. Similarly, I have heard it said that at the average US per capita consumption we'd need to have 4 earths to support the current population - this suggests that by the US standard of living we'd support less than 2 billion, around 1.7...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:

Except that I did...hence the bit about it getting worse.

I find this frustrating in any situation, but especially so when it's someone I broadly agree with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole breast milk angle seemed a little over the top to me. Besides, if its true that breast milk is the most toxic food substance known to man, why would it also be true that breast feeding is best??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
quozl wrote:

I find this frustrating in any situation, but especially so when it's someone I broadly agree with.

That's how I feel about Christianity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
quozl wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
quozl wrote:

That's how I feel about Christianity.

That's how I feel about broads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:

I like to use CDI.org for such info. Pre-web I subscribed to their Defense Monitor...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.