Popular Tags: [View All]
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I received my copy from amazon.de today . The box is the size of an alea medium game box. The insert is much better than the useless insert for Louis XIV, and I will be putting all the expansions in the base game boxes anyway, so the insert will go to King Louis .

I punched and separated all the expansions. The Puerto Rico expansion is 2 different expansions, and the Witches Brew expansion is even 3!
I haven't read the rules yet though. If anyone would like information about one of the expansions just let me know, and then I will post as much info as I can .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
When will it be available in English?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Except THAT question
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Martin
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The more information the better, although I'm not particularly interested in Witch's Brew, all of the other ones are interesting to me, especially for Louis XIV, as there doesn't seem to be much info about that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Miller
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you translate the rules for us plebs?

More importantly, what does the L14 tile do? What are the cards for ND?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to hear about the In the Year of the Dragon expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, let's start with Notre Dame. I hope I will be able to translate everything clearly since I haven't played the original game yet and my German reading skills are not 100% .

There are 9 new person cards: 3 grey A, 3 B, and 3 C cards.

All the rules from the original game apply, but there is a new rule for the setup of the game.

The now 18 grey cards are sorted in A, B, and C piles. Every pile is shuffled seperately, and from every pile 3 cards are drawn so every player can see them. After that the 3 revealed cards from every pile are shuffled again and then put in one pile like in the original game, with the A cards on top and the C cards at the bottom.

The A cards:
Verwalter (bailiff/steward), double your prestige points (2 rats)
Gelehrten (scholar/professor?), play your third action card right away (1 rat)
Krankenschwester (nurse), take one of your influence markers out of the general supply, put it in your hospital and put a rat marker back one field (4 rats)

B cards:
Spion (spy), look through the grey persons pile without changing the order and receive 2 prestige points (1 rat)
Fahrende volk (sailors?), you may take a number of your influence markers off the board and put them back in the general supply, you get 2 prestige points for every marker (2 rats)
Kutscher (coachman), you can use one ability from your collected messagemarkers? again (3 rats)

C cards:
Wird (host), receive 2 prestige points for every influence marker in your guest house (3 rats)
Torwachter (gatekeeper), receive 3 prestige points for every 2 influence markers in the general supply (1 rat)
Ratsherren (councilmen), you may bribe 2 more times (bribe a different person 2 times, or 2 different persons 1 time) (2 rats)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
4Corners wrote:
The more information the better, although I'm not particularly interested in Witch's Brew, all of the other ones are interesting to me, especially for Louis XIV, as there doesn't seem to be much info about that one.

Well, I am interested in Witch's Brew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
I would like to hear about the In the Year of the Dragon expansion.

The In the year of the dragon expansion contains 2 expansions.

First expansion: the Chinese Wall.
1 action card wall building and 30 wall tiles, 6 in every player color.

Every player puts his wall tiles face down in front of him. The action card wall building is laid out with the other actions cards and can be chosen like the others.

When a player selects wall building, he takes one of his unused tiles and gets the reward on the tile: a rice sack, a rockettile, a palace tile, 2 yuan, 3 fields on the pointstrack, or 3 VPs. He puts the wall tile open under the first event tile.
The next used tile is placed next to it so the Chinese wall grows under the eventtrack (12 tiles max).

The wall is scored after each Mongol raid and at the end.

Second expansion: the super-events.
10 small super-events tiles.

The tiles are mixed face down. One of them is drawn and placed open on the 7th event tile. The other 9 tiles are put back in the box.

The super-event tile is executed after the normal event and before the scoring of the 7th round.

The tiles are all different, for example:

lanternfeast: a personscoring follows, like at the end of the game.

tornado: starting with the starting player every player loses 2 palace tiles of his choice.

I am going to bed now, it's almost 2 am for me snore
I will look at the Louis XIV expansion tomorrow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Martin
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the updates, keep them coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
I have not been keeping up on this, but other than the rules, how language dependant are all the expansions (i.e. do I need to wait for the English version)? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hélio Andrade
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kneumann wrote:
I have not been keeping up on this, but other than the rules, how language dependant are all the expansions (i.e. do I need to wait for the English version)? Thanks

yes, this is a very important question, are the components language independent? and are they compatible with english versions of the base games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
helioa wrote:
kneumann wrote:

yes, this is a very important question, are the components language independent? and are they compatible with english versions of the base games?

If you look at a zoomed in picture here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/482057

You can see that not all of the components are language independent. In fact, from what I know of the base games I would say less than half of the expansions in this compilation are language independent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kneumann wrote:

Well, it's mostly San Juan and Witches Brew that are not language independant.

In San Juan there is text on the cards, like on the cards for the base game.
In the first expansion there are 10 different new cards (26 purple buildings and 5 production buildings in total) and a purple Cathedral tile.
And in the second expansion there are 6 event cards that can be activated if you draw them, like the normale roles, they have some text on them as well.
But the text on all of the cards is short and easy, so a cheat sheet should solve this problem.

Witches Brew has 3 different expansions. The first has 12 role cards, those have quite a lot of text on them, and 5 potion cards, 5 gold counters and 6 raven counters, those are all language independant.
The second expansion has 9 amulet counters. The third expansion has 17 magic ability cards, those have some text, but much less than the role cards.

The Notre Dame and In the year of the dragon expansions are 100% language independant.

The first Puerto Rico expansion has 12 different small buildings (each twice) and 2 different large purple buildings.
The second expansion has 7 different buildings (each twice) and 1 large building.
All buildings have some text on them like the normal buildings, but a cheat sheet should work here as well.
The second expansion also has 20 red "nobles", that act like colonists.

The Louis XIV expansion has 4 player tiles with action fields on them and 1 minion tile that is placed opposite the table that has the Louis XIV tile on it. The player tiles have text on them, but can easily be replaced by a translated version.

I will look at everything more closely today and edit this message if
necessary .

All in all, I think there are enough language independant expansions for english-speaking people to enjoy, and for some others you can easily rectify it with cheat sheets . I think it's a really good set, and with a total of 11 different expansions I think it is really worth the money!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Abad
Spain
Zaragoza
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please, can you tell me the rules for "nobles" included at Puerto Rico 2nd expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fenolin wrote:
Please, can you tell me the rules for "nobles" included at Puerto Rico 2nd expansion?

I will try to translate as best as I can .

There are 7 different small buildings, 2 of each, and 1 large building.

The 8 new buildings are placed with the other 23 different buildings (23 buildings from the original game or mixed with the first expansion buildings) on the board arranged according to their building costs on rows 1-4.

The 20 red nobles are placed next to the colonist supply. Because in this expansion the lack of colonists/nobles isn't a condition for the ending of the game anymore, they do not have to be counted.
At the beginning of the game and at the end of every mayor phase a noble instead of a colonist is placed on the colonist ship (as long as there are nobles left in the supply). These nobles can then be taken in the mayor phase instead of a colonist. Every noble is worth 1 VP at the end of the game.

The 8 new buildings introduce some expansions of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4Corners wrote:
especially for Louis XIV, as there doesn't seem to be much info about that one.

I will take a look at that one later today .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pua
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the details. When you get a chance, can you share more about the Witch's Brew expansions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you tell me what the new cards and new buildings in San Juan and Puerto Rico say? Or maybe just some really cool/interesting/broken ones if it's too much trouble for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maaikefest wrote:
The first Puerto Rico expansion has 12 different small buildings (each twice) and 2 different large purple buildings.

I took a closer look at the first Puerto Rico expansion, and I found out that it is identical to the 2004 expansion: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12382
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maaikefest wrote:
The Louis XIV expansion has 4 player tiles with action fields on them and 1 tile that is placed opposite the table that has the Louis XIV tile on it. The player tiles have text on them, but can easily be replaced by a translated version.

Rules for the Louis XIV expansion:
I hope I am translating everything right

Every player gets a player tile, and puts it down before him. The players also receive 1 extra influence marker from the general supply and places it on one of the 4 action fields on his player tile.

This is what's on the tiles:
1. Phase: supplies
Discard an amount of influence cards and draw a same amount of new cards.
2. Phase: influence
While jumping you can also jump to a diagonal table.
3. Phase: utilization
When you use an Intrige card, you may add 2 markers from the general supply to your own supply.
4. Phase: mission
You can take up to 3 mission chips into the next round.

(phases 1 and 4 have more explanation in the rules)

After every phase a player, when it is his turn, can activate the chosen option (once), by taking the influence marker from his table and putting it into his own supply and then executing the option.

At the end of the game a player receives 1 coat-of-arm for every 2 influence markers on his player tile, with a max of 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rüdiger Dorn
Germany
Nürnberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
hello everybody,

two notes

2. Phase: influence
While jumping you can also jump to a diagonal table.

you can jump to every diagonal table - they must not be adjacent.
e.g. table 12 -> 7 -> 8 if you place three marker.

3. Phase: utilization
When you use an Intrige card, you may add 2 markers from the general supply to your own supply.

2 markers from the generals supply OR 3 markers from the own supply

regards
rüdiger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
maaikefest wrote:
The 20 red nobles are placed next to the colonist supply. Because in this expansion the lack of colonists/nobles isn't a condition for the ending of the game anymore, they do not have to be counted.
At the beginning of the game and at the end of every mayor phase a noble instead of a colonist is placed on the colonist ship (as long as there are nobles left in the supply). These nobles can then be taken in the mayor phase instead of a colonist. Every noble is worth 1 VP at the end of the game.

The 8 new buildings introduce some expansions of the rules.

That sounds excellent considering how the mayor typically isn't taken much in the late game unless trying to meet that end game condition.

I guess the thing I want to know the most is: what new buildings, if any, have a cost of 6 and 8. I just ask because the Large Warehouse and the University are the ones considered the most useless and I didn't feel the original expansion addressed that issue.

I wish Jay from RGG would announce this treasure trove of expansions already
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eeeville wrote:
I guess the thing I want to know the most is: what new buildings, if any, have a cost of 6 and 8. I just ask because the Large Warehouse and the University are the ones considered the most useless and I didn't feel the original expansion addressed that issue.

cost 6: court supplier: trade in 1 good for 1 VP for every noble (captain phase)
cost 7: villa: + 1 noble from supply (mayor phase)
cost 8: jeweler: + 1 dubloon for every own noble (supervisor phase)
cost 10: court garden: + 1 VP for every own noble (end of game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blenny01 wrote:
Thanks for all the details. When you get a chance, can you share more about the Witch's Brew expansions?

I will take a look at it tomorrow .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.