Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Adair
United States
Fayston
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you all play after the initial card lay down?
I think this area falls into the house rules.

I'll use a example (with tonight's game 7 teams)

Say
The Penguins player initial card is the 6s
The Caps player initial card is the 10d

What do you allow the Penguins player to come back with?
1) He can play a higher level poker hand. So say the 6h in this case which gives him a pair. This would be the next level up from highest card.

or

2) Do you allow him to up his card? In this case he could play anything above the 10 or a 10 and say an 8. So the Penguins could play the Ks and now have the highest card (in the example it would now be Ks over 10d).

#1 the play is that if you're going to add a card(s) it must make a higher hand than just highest card. So if you have the 6s you can make a pair, 2 pairs, 3 of kind, etc... but you can't just lay down the Ks and still just have the highest card. After that I guess someone could still come out with a higher pair.

#2 allows for a player to come over the highest card with another high card winner might make for some interesting game play and tactics early in the hand. I could throw out the lowest card I have and see what my opponent put out then I would go over it with the lowest possible winner. But then at points in the game you could change speeds and throw out a high card early.

I like #2 where you can play another card as long as it's higher than your opponents. I think it gives more strategy to what card to lay out first and then gives you a chance to try to trap a high card.

I've seen on here the question how many cards can you play.
My answer to that is you can add a card(s) as long as it makes a high poker hand up to 5 cards. The key point is that you have to make a better hand you can't just throw off cards.

So Penguins have 6s, Caps have 10d, Penguins play Ks, Caps play 10h, Penguins play Kd, Caps play KhKc to take hand.

How do you all play this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you can play a 2nd card to make a pair, you may

if you can't, then the 10 wins, move puck accordingly, and each player plays 2 more cards.

note one player doesn't play, and then the other, u both select yoour card in secret, then reveal simultaneously, think the card game War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Adair
United States
Fayston
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that the first 2 cards are play simultaneously.

However, I think you can play a high card if you want to because it is a better poker hand than the one you have. I don't see anywhere in the rules where you must play a pair, etc. To me you treat it like you would any 5 card poker hand except that where cards are missing they're just treated as blanks.
I can also see people trying to get rid of a card early in the hand to try to get 2 cards out and have more drawing power. I think that might help get out of bad hands to some degree. So if someone has a really bad hand they might be able to get 2 new cards and not just one. It brings a little more hand management to the game.

The other method makes you wonder if he has a pair can I play a higher pair because when it came to high card I had to play a level up to a pair. It also makes you wonder if you can put down non-matching cards.
For example Player A has a 6 and Player B has a 10. Then player A plays another 6 to make a pair can Player B now drop a pair of Jacks from his hand or must he play on his 10? If this is true it would make sense to be able to do it with high card too.

I can see the counter argument to a degree and it's initially how I thought of it.
But I think now as long as you can make a better poker hand it's legal.

It does seem like it could work either way.
If any of the game designers are on here maybe they could answer the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
forget poker my friend

this is war

play ne card each simulataneoiusly. high card wins, move the puck, play again.

the exception is you can respond with a second car to make a pair, or 3 of a kind,sort of thing the second effort on the part of the hockey player to succeed

otherwise each time u and opponent play a card, the puck moves according the the instructions on the highest card laid down. that way the game simulates the rapid, up and down movement of the real game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Adair
United States
Fayston
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it boils down to are we playing poker hands or some kind of modified war hands???

I guess that's really the question.

I'm of the belief that you should play it like poker throughout hand and you can play a card(s) as long as you can better your opponents current poker hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I am sure u could play it poker wise, but that would limit puck movement significantly, and reduce goals

The game is designed to use a "War" mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmb
Wow, that's not clear from the rules, if true. We've been playing with poker style hands (graduating from high cards to pairs, etc.), not War hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.