O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So the Fly by Instinct rule says:
"Once you place cards and speed markers facedown on the game console during your planning, you may not look at them again until it is time to reveal them to all the players."

When I read that I assume the intention is to force you to remember what card and speed you played instead of being able to easily check it.

The problem is that when planning my next move I have to flip through my deck to get the next move I want, which means that if I know my deck then I can easily deduce what card I have previously placed. Same for speed markers when selecting the next speed (even easier actually).

So am I misunderstanding the rule? Because it seems kinda pointless... Is it just a hold over from the WWI ruleset?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody? Anybody? Does nobody use this rule?

Don't me register at the Fantasy Flight web site! :p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course we use the rule-- it's not hard to do.

We don't bother with "not knowing" the speed element-- yes, that is pointless.

But as to knowing the card you put down turn before the last one-- yeah, you might be able to "deduce" which out of the 20 cards or so is missing, but it will take awhile, and your opponents will get tired of waiting.

Funny how many times people resented the 3 card method in WWI and said it was "better" to just play one card at a time-- yeah, and a machine gun is better than a brown bess-- but if you're playing an AmRev battle, a person might think the game designer wants you to work with a Brown Bess.

Just try playing the game as written-- it's not that hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah... guess my game group is more cut throat than that. We are always looking for the logical way to maximize use of every rule.

Oddly enough, the group dislikes the immediate explosion counters because it can take a player out of the game so suddenly... :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.