JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking to place a large game order, and I would LOVE it if they happened to show up by saturday, as we are going to a friends house to game on sunday and I would like to bring along Stone Age to try out.

I'm leaning towards Games Surplus for my order as of right now, after reading all the glowing things on here about them.

I plan on placing my order as soon as I get off work, so by 8AM EST at the latest.

I love in NW Ohio.

I know it won't kill me to wait, but if they did get here it would rock.

Also, any games you would suggest adding to my order, or replacing?

Loot
Red November
Lost Cities
Jambo
Stone Age
Carcassonne: Inns & Cathedrals
Blue Moon
Jungle Speed
Bohnanza Expansion: Bohnaparte
Yinsh (ordering for a friend, in trade for Settlers of Catan)

Mostly looking for 2 player games (unless they play well with kids, like jungle speed), but ones that scale up well too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
A local game store?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah!

The nearest local game store is an hour away. And they want to try to sell me crap like Descent for 89 dollars and Gloom for 28. I'm cool with paying a little more then online, but I feel that's pretty crappy pricing, just because they are the only store around.

Though, I haven't checked out Ft. Wayne. Maybe I will call around and price check in the AM.
If only myatomic.com allowed pickup like gamesurplus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
You could try http://www.hobbiesandgames.com/ . They are based in Cleveland, so if they ship UPS ground on Thursday, you MAY have it by Friday. Don't know how fast they can ship, but you could call and ask--there is a phone number on the contact page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:
Bah!

The nearest local game store is an hour away. And they want to try to sell me crap like Descent for 89 dollars and Gloom for 28. I'm cool with paying a little more then online, but I feel that's pretty crappy pricing, just because they are the only store around.

Though, I haven't checked out Ft. Wayne. Maybe I will call around and price check in the AM.
If only myatomic.com allowed pickup like gamesurplus.

You're the one with the time issue. Deliveries aren't guaranteed. A direct, in-hand purchase is the only certainty. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not that I particularly care if I get them that quick, just was wondering.
But like I said, I'll certainly call around Ft. Wayne Indiana tommorow and see if anyone has reasonable prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
You could try http://www.hobbiesandgames.com/ . They are based in Cleveland, so if they ship UPS ground on Thursday, you MAY have it by Friday. Don't know how fast they can ship, but you could call and ask--there is a phone number on the contact page.

Awesome. I'll call and check in the morning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Favocci
United States
Cherry Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try gamesurplus.com. If I order in the morning, I usually get them the next day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Buckingham
United States
Berne
IN
flag msg tools
Watch and learn... - Dr. Who
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:
It's not that I particularly care if I get them that quick, just was wondering.
But like I said, I'll certainly call around Ft. Wayne Indiana tommorow and see if anyone has reasonable prices.

I've ordered from www.superherogameland.com and picked up at their brick and mortar store before (they are in Fort Wayne)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Shackelford
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Just a heads up John me and Amanda have Blue Moon and Jambo. We have so much to play in the mean time that if you wanted to order two other games and borrow our copies to find out if you liked them or not I would be ok with that. Id offer up Lost Cities but I dont think we can live within it for 2 or 3 weeks and I also am confident Lost Cities will be played at your house(even if Jamie doesnt like it its a GREAT game to teach your kids math as they get old enough). Jambo I bet there is a decent chance you will like but something tells me Jamie might not care for Blue Moon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Goetz
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I've ordered from www.superherogameland.com and picked up at their brick and mortar store before (they are in Fort Wayne)...

I preordered from SHGL and they had the box to my door (in Illinois) the day after they got the game in stock, so there's a good chance. You also might want to see if anyone nearby ships FedEx (SHGL is UPS) because FedEx delivers on Saturdays while UPS doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StckFigure wrote:
Quote:

I preordered from SHGL and they had the box to my door (in Illinois) the day after they got the game in stock, so there's a good chance. You also might want to see if anyone nearby ships FedEx (SHGL is UPS) because FedEx delivers on Saturdays while UPS doesn't.

Wow! their prices are really good too. I just placed my order with them, Now I just need to call and see when I can pick it up.
They said I can order online and they will reimburse my shippin, which was free. So bonus!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Foster
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, Boards&Bits has excellent prices and excellent customer service. I have bought from 4-5 other online game stores, but none have been as good or shipped as fast as B&B. Plus, Tom, the owner, is a gamer and will personally respond to questions.

One other 2-P you might consider is Traders of Carthage. It has simple rules but provides many challenges and tough decisions. In the last year, it's one of our favorites, and it scales well from 2-4 players. The sweet spot seems to be 2-P.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dean
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Amish Tech Support
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like GameSurplus. They are lightning fast for orders in Ohio. Great prices and exceptional service. I've never had a bad experience with them.

Cold War: CIA vs KGB is a good 2 player game.
San Juan scales very well for 2-4 players.
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery is a great game and I've read it works well for 2 though I've never played with less than 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:
StckFigure wrote:
Quote:

Wow! their prices are really good too. I just placed my order with them, Now I just need to call and see when I can pick it up.
They said I can order online and they will reimburse my shippin, which was free. So bonus!

Heck, I've even ordered from SHGL before. They seem to be a pretty good outfit. Lucky for you they're local to you. They seem to be the right mix of price and convenience that you're seeking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an update for anyone interested. I called SHGL this morning and asked about their procedure. They instructed me to place my order online and then call the store and have them hold it for pickup, and then when I get there, they will reimburse any shipping fees.

The gentleman on the phone was very polite and helpful, and I am looking forward to going and checking out their store tomorrow. I'm hoping that its as good as I have it hyped up in my head, because the FLGS nearest to me I have traditionally went to is a hour away, charges wayyy too much, and doesn't know anything about any game thats not warhammer.

Now. I need to erase all memories of this out of my brain, because knowing I can place orders online for games, comics, and action figures and not have to wait for them in the mail could be VERY dangerous to my bank account.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kdean1 wrote:
I really like GameSurplus. They are lightning fast for orders in Ohio. Great prices and exceptional service. I've never had a bad experience with them.

Cold War: CIA vs KGB is a good 2 player game.
San Juan scales very well for 2-4 players.
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery is a great game and I've read it works well for 2 though I've never played with less than 4.

I may pick up San Juan tomorrow when I am in store. I cut Small World off my order at the last minute, so I have a little budget for in store impulse buys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.