Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Maiz
United States
Palmyra
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a lot of fun in the 4-player bootleggers last night. Pete(blue), Jack(orange), Nate(Green), and me (yellow). After some rule review and some explanation, I was the only one with some experience with the game. We decided to go till the end of round 12 or 2 hrs and see who had the most money just so everyone could get use to the game.

EARLY GAME [turns 1-4]: The action cards were all action types- no production cards and few influence cards, so the shine was going slow. Pete opened the 1st speakeasy with 2 guys and me with 1 and had the early edge. He also started the ‘rental’ truck angle, but I mentioned to him that sometimes, a funny ting happens - the trucks ‘they get lost sometimes on their way back’. Nate took the 1st production card on turn 3 and had the only still with more than one dice, so everyone was makin deals. Jack and myself started collecting up the influence. On turn 4, I made sure to spend a few extra dollars on the muscle card to get more influence in my back room. My strategy was to stock up on guys, get the extra guy at the end of turn 4, and open either Mothers, Barleys or McCoys (which would sell for the most in the 4 player game at 3/crate and 2 for control). End of turn 4- I had $16gs, Pete had $27gs, Nate had $24 and Jack had $29.

MIDGAME: [turns 5-8]; Tings got hotter - I opened Mothers, placed an improvement on it and had direct competition with Jack, who opened on Barleys because of the muscle order - both speakeasies were rolling 3 dice at $2Gs a crate, we made some deals with Nate and Pete. Then the race was on to see who could open up the McCoy place. By turn 6, Jack got some good action cards and was able to get control over it with some hits, the recruiting card, then stole one of Pete’s trucks and had an edge at McCoys. I stuck it out with my control at Mothers to get the extra money from the hooch sales. The copper essentially stayed at Nate’s still but never shut him down until turn 8. None the less, sales of hooch were traded between Nate and Jack, who sold it at McCoys and since the production was finally coming online at this point, Pete was able to buy up any extras and run it all over the place. Jack was selling each of his crates for $5 a box and getting $2 on top of the other sales, and since it had the most dice, Pete and Nate sold there often. By turn 8- Jack and Nate hit $180Gs and everyone decided to do one more turn. Pete got the extra influence on the end of 8.

LAST TURN: At this point, McCoys was the best in town and Jack wanted it to stay that way. He shut down Petes speakeasy and reduced the influence on the little speakeasy to close it. Nate wanted the extra cash to try and push himself over, so he played the word of mouth card on Mothers(+1G/crate sold), which made me happy, since we were rolling 4 dice. The copper then shut me down, since I made more the previous turn, and I was done. Jack split the cash skim sold at McCoys with Pete and that was it for Nate. Jack hit close to $230Gs, Nate had $180Gs and Pete and I were low $100Gs.

Next week, we will try for a 6 player game of bootleggers so hopefully there will be another session report : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report Joe! I love Bootleggers, but unfortunately my group don't like it so much. Your game appeared to be very friendly overall, not a lot of backstabbing and false promises. You all seemed to earn a ton of money. In our games, it has been a struggle to get to the 100G mark let alone 200G's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bessonette
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our games tend to be a lot like this as well. We play this game at least 2 times per month, more like once per week, with anywhere from 4-6 players. Usually one or two big Men of Action cards smash some players, but in nearly 20 games I cant even think of anyone breaking a promise yet. I think its because they are afraid it will carry over until next week...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if you ignored this rule on purpose or not, but the game should end when one player gets to $100G.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Maiz
United States
Palmyra
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WE knew about the 100G rule, but threw it out on the count of new players learning the game

Nate had 100Gs by end of turn 6= Mr moonshine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.