3 Posts

The Big Idea» Forums » Reviews

Subject: The Big Idea is a Great Idea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
cheapas gamer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Big Idea is a game of invention. You're given a hand of noun and adjective cards, like perhaps "Edible" is one of your adjectives and "Robot" as a noun. You might then play "Edible Robot" during your turn. There is then an investment system to emulate your "initial public offering" on Wall Street based on your investment. This involves a round of everyone convincing each other whose invention is the best, then placing bets on whose invention they think is greatest, and therefore most likely to pay out. The true hilarity of the games comes out in spades, as you insist to your other players, "Just think! Normal robots are made of metal, and when they come for you, you have no chance! Ours are edible! When they try to overthrow the human race, we'll just munch off their claws!". The winner is determined by who wins the most money from the betting rounds.

This is a Cheapass (company) game, so you have to supply some of your own components. On the flipside, the original version I purchased cost less than $5- I can't remember the exact total.

What I got in my set:

1 small zip-lock style bag (just enough to hold the cards)
1 Rules Sheet
(I think just 64) Cards (half adjectives, half nouns)

I had to provide:

1 6-sided die
5 tokens unique to each player, for betting
Some play money in different denominations, like Monopoly money

There is a luck element to this game, first and foremost because social interaction part of the mechanics. Your hand is also a random assortment of cards, so it's possible to get all adjectives and no nouns, making it impossible to play an invention on that turn. This hampers your ability to invest, and therefore win money, but it's not completely crippling. You win money by rolling under or equal to the number of bets on a product- so a product with 6 bets will always pay off. However, you only win by a multiplier of the die, so if a 1 is rolled, you get little return, while a 6 could be a game-changer.

If you haven't put it together yet, this is very much a social game and not one for the mechanics. Winning requires some luck, and a lot of schmoozing with your fellow players. Individual rounds lost just long enough as it takes for all the players to finish their products' advertisements and then roll for payoffs, and a full game can be from 15 minutes to an hour depending on how long-wided your spiels are.

If you can get a chuckle out of "Mentholated Beer" or "Disposable Pants", you can get a lot of enjoyment out of this game. I would highly reccomend the Semideluxe edition, as it has more cards of higher quality, and you'll probably quickly want to invest in some cardstock to start cranking out your own on top of that. Thanks to Cheapass construction, this game is also a very cheap investment, that I can't reccomend highly enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Big Idea is a Great Idea indeed.
Unfortunately, they could not use this Great Idea so The Big Idea is actually a lame game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I love about The Big Idea is that it straddles the line between a party game and a real game so well. It's the only party game some of my gamer friends will play

The original edition is great for portability. I have the Semideluxe edition, and I may soon order a whole new copy plus the "More cards" expansion.

Thanks for the review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.