Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Hough
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my Father really enjoys baseball, and even more than that he really enjoys fantasy baseball. He will literally sit in front of the TV with his laptop on his lap flipping between games and cursing at his computer. Now I on the other hand am not into baseball as much as my dad, but I would love to share a board gaming experience with him and figured a baseball one would be best. I'm sure I could get him to at least try it.

I am looking for a game that carries stats really well, performs like actual baseball (giving that fantasy baseball feel) and has a moderate price tag (nothing over $50 to start with). I would also like to find a baseball game that supports older rosters that are readily available. My Father is very much into the origins of baseball. Also, I would prefer if complexity wouldn't bog down the speed of play (something that plays under 1.5 hours per game.)

I have looked at Strat-O-Matic Baseball and Replay Baseball which seem like good options.

I can already tell that he wouldn't be into Pizza Box Baseball. He would want the managing aspect.

Any other suggestions and opinions would be much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody will recommend Pizza Box anyway. I can give a thumbsup for Strat-o - you can increase the level of detail you want as you go along, and there are many many previous seasons available. There are probably other games of which one could say the same thing, (APBA?) but I don't think you will be disappointed with Strat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Donovan
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I heartily recommend Pursue the Pennant/Dynasty League baseball (same game from two separate entities). To me, it -really- gives the feel of managing a game--or even a season!

It may be a bit more than you want to spend, but since my base game is about 20 years old, I don't know the cost off-hand now.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/7290

Dale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Schmucker
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For table top baseball I would recommend Dynasty League Baseball previously know as Dynasty League Baseball. It has seasons sets for a lot of years including old seasons sets. There are plenty of stats to play with. Take a look at their site for details, http://www.designdepot.com/

For computer versions I would use either Dynasty League Baseball again or Diamond Mind Baseball (http://www.diamond-mind.com/). Diamond Mind Baseball has seasons sets that go back to 1927. There are also All Time Greatest Players and Teams sets. Diamond Mind Baseball software is also being used for some Fantasy Leagues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For something lighter and fantasy baseball-ish, also take a look at MLB Showdown and MLB Sportsclix. Both were realeased in a collectible format, and like many defunct collectibles, can often now be found for next to nothing.

Not for the sabermetric minded, but good fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crawford
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I give a big thumbsup for Replay Baseball. It's a great option. Game time is probably 30 minutes or less (more when learning the game, then less as you get familiar with it).

I think the best part about Replay is that it feels more like real baseball to me than other games. Of course, that's completely subjective, but the way the pitchers and batters interact, and how smoothly the game flows, really work for me.

You've probably seen the website? http://www.replaybb.com
They also have a great community of Replayers in the Delphi forums: http://forums.delphiforums.com/replayball/start

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Stratomatic beyond a doubt. Not too complicated, but there is a lot there to make it feel you are actually managing. Very accurated statistically too with real players stats. If I can recall a game can be played in about 30 minutes - a 3 game series in 1 and a half hours. I love this game because fielding is also considered into it more than in other games.

Computer wise nothing compares to Out of the Park Baseball (OOTP 9) if you want a really involved simulation where you can play through multiple seasons as a manager with any team ever - all teams are included. However there is a bit of a learning curve, but you can modify your involvement. If you have time, it is truly outstanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a lot of fondness for Strat-o-Matic, even though I haven't played in quite a while and got kind of burned out playing in an online league about a decade ago. I agree with David in that Strat will allow you to layer in the complexity. (Back when I was actively playing, there were even some rules that were only thrown in in the computer game because they were so fiddly.) Price might be an issue here, given your limit above: a 2008 game (and you'll want the game, not just the cards, at least the first time) is a little over $60. However, the game is obviously a labor of love and, unlike some others listed above, still active and in print. Plus, there's a fairly extensive back catalog. (And once you buy one "game" set, you can just get cards in the future if you want.)

ETA: I guess it is possible to buy SOM at something of a discount, bringing the total below your limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
My take:

Lots of people like Replay, but I think it's too much chart flipping and I really, really dislike the "forced usage" style of simiulation (if a guy doesn't steal a lot, even though he's fast, you won't get to run him as often as you would were you the manager; injuries are forced upon you if a player was on the bench a lot during the season, even if he was never injured).

I know there are fans of Diamond Mind / Pursue the Pennant. Seems way too complex for my tastes.

The old Sher-co II baseball game had just about every team you'd ever want to use, and creating charts was a snap. The only problem is that it's fiddly in the flip-through-too-many-pages just like Replay is. But it's unique.

Strat-o-matic is OK, though not necessarily statistically sound.

And, of course my favorite is Sports Illustrated Baseball. It's statistically sound (though doesn't include individual fielding) and very, very quick to play. It also has the most important part of a baseball sim--it feels like a real baseball game. The pitcher throws dice and then, if not already resolved, the batter rolls dice. You can get teams from the past both here and at tabletop-sports.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your father is a laptop guy, get him the Strato Matic CD game. Then he can replay seasons as both the manager and the GM while he is watching the games every night. It really is a great re-creation of the game without the video game style.

Since it is a replay of the board game you can still play head live (without the dice rolling) and you can even buy the game cards to go with the CD. You get a ton of past seasons to choose from as well.

As a side note, he may like the SoM league's on TSN although they are more GM and pre game managing and not really in game managing but there is a rather cultish following over there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
molnar wrote:
Somebody will recommend Pizza Box anyway. I can give a thumbsup for Strat-o - you can increase the level of detail you want as you go along, and there are many many previous seasons available. There are probably other games of which one could say the same thing, (APBA?) but I don't think you will be disappointed with Strat.

If Dad likes fantasy baseball, he probably won't like Pizza Box Baseball. It's a fun game, but it does not feature actual players, let alone MLB players. Keeping stats would be meaningless.

I've personally owned APBA Major League Baseball for over 40 years and I swear by it. But I've also played Strat-O-Matic, Pursue the Pennant, and other games, and they're excellent. too.

Your choice may come down to availability and price. About two years ago, my sister was in the market for a tabletop baseball game for her husband's nephew, and she asked me for a recommendation. After doing some analysis on his level of interest in MLB (It's very high; die-hard Cubs fan) and considering her price range, I recommended Strat-O-Matic over APBA because it was less expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Swanson
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strat-o-matic is by far the most statistically accurate baseball board game on the market.

Every player is represented every year. You are the mananger. You make all the choices, offensively, defensively when to rest players. ALL the managerial choices are yours to make.

All players are rated for defense range and arm strength and error chances.
Players are rated vs. lefty and vs. righties(batters and pitchers).

Chance are rated for runners taking leads, and then are ranked to steal the 2nd and are separately rated for stealing third and home(very low chance).

All Ballparks are rated for homerun chances. Anyway it goes on and on.

Just go to www.strat-o-matic.com and read up on it. It is a great game!!
I have been playing for 26 years and with strat you can find leagues online if you want to enjoy it even more.

Check out 2 of my leagues:

www.brassleague.com and www.brassleagueofchampions.com

Later

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crawford
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
people like Replay, but I think it's too much chart flipping

There's no chart flipping in Replay. The three pages of charts are right in front of you. Maybe once or twice a game you might have to check a result on the back of the charts.

See the picture: http://www.replaybb.com/images/BBChartBooksmall.jpg

Most other statements here are opinion, but that's more of a factual mistake. I would guess that Randy played the original version of Replay Baseball from the 80's which apparently did have a lot of chart flipping. And "Strat-o-matic is by far the most statistically accurate baseball board game on the market" is an opinion stated as a fact. It's hard to keep a baseball-game recommendation thread civil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ned Leffingwell
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scoobysnacks wrote:
If your father is a laptop guy, get him the Strato Matic CD game. Then he can replay seasons as both the manager and the GM while he is watching the games every night. It really is a great re-creation of the game without the video game style.

Since it is a replay of the board game you can still play head live (without the dice rolling) and you can even buy the game cards to go with the CD. You get a ton of past seasons to choose from as well.

My dad was a big collector of APBA Baseball in the 70's. He currently plays Strato-matic, mainly on his laptop. He loves it! I know that you can buy older teams for the board game version of stratomatic. I would recommend Stratomatic in one form or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
gatchaman wrote:
Quote:
people like Replay, but I think it's too much chart flipping

There's no chart flipping in Replay. The three pages of charts are right in front of you. Maybe once or twice a game you might have to check a result on the back of the charts.

See the picture: http://www.replaybb.com/images/BBChartBooksmall.jpg

Most other statements here are opinion, but that's more of a factual mistake. I would guess that Randy played the original version of Replay Baseball from the 80's

Nope, I purchased the current game (maybe 5 years ago?) but it didn't come with the compact chart shown in the picture. You could get a copy of it, but it wasn't part of the base game when I got it. You had to turn pages to get to the right chart and I really, really dislike that. I like for the chart (or card) to tell me the result right there. No crossreference numbers at all. And that's where Replay failed.

Oh, and I forgot to say that there is a really affordable version of SI Baseball called dombrov baseball (dombrov.com) which runs on a PC. You can create your own teams, mix and match players, all that stuff computer gamers like. And you can even print out charts and use them as the tabletop game if you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Richard
United States
Avon
US
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a resource, we just covered 4 baseball board/card games in Episode 18 of our podcast, "Game On! with Cody and John". The episode is entitled "Play Ball!". Feel free to have a listen here:

http://media.libsyn.com/media/gameonpodcast/Game_On_Episode_...

Based upon what you've said about your dad, I think Strat-O-Matic Baseball might be a pretty good option. Hope you find one that you enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Scheer
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had and enjoyed statis pro baseball (and football and basketball) and Replay baseball when I was a kid. Played multiple multiple best-of-3 single elim tournaments with the teams. The replay game I had only had 1 line for the pitchers though, with only 2 dice. It also came with the chart "book".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strat-o-matic has the best balance of statistical accuracy with ease of play. Adjust the gameplay to suit your taste for complexity. Ebay often has complete seasons for under new cost. The prices don't start to escalate until you get back about 20 years.

I use it for my avatar for a reason. I like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph B
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve played about half of the baseball games mentioned here, plus a few others, but before I would recommend a game to you, I would like to ask for clarification of a point or two.

When you say “would also like to find a baseball game that supports older rosters that are readily available. My Father is very much into the origins of baseball.”, does that mean that your father would want to play games from, say, the ‘40s and 50s? Would he want to play seasons from the 1800s?

Does your father want to play a game that uses cards based on actual MLB players?

If you want seasons that far back, then there are several choices, although it would eliminate many of the games that folks have recommended to you so far.

Also, beware that some of the games that others recommended to you well cost over $50 (with shipping included).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nedpatrick wrote:
Scoobysnacks wrote:

My dad was a big collector of APBA Baseball in the 70's. He currently plays Strato-matic, mainly on his laptop. He loves it! I know that you can buy older teams for the board game version of stratomatic. I would recommend Stratomatic in one form or the other.

APBA also has an assortment of old seasons that go back to the 1800's. I've got the 1922, 1930, 1932, 1938, 1947, 1957, 1962, and 1964 season myself. There are also individual teams that can be purchased, like the '27 Yankees, and "All-Time Franchise" sets, each team consisting of the greatest players to play for that franchise and in their best season.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
mariners95 wrote:
Strat-o-matic is by far the most statistically accurate baseball board game on the market.

Every player is represented every year. You are the mananger. You make all the choices, offensively, defensively when to rest players. ALL the managerial choices are yours to make.

All players are rated for defense range and arm strength and error chances.
Players are rated vs. lefty and vs. righties(batters and pitchers).

Chance are rated for runners taking leads, and then are ranked to steal the 2nd and are separately rated for stealing third and home(very low chance).

All Ballparks are rated for homerun chances. Anyway it goes on and on.

Just go to www.strat-o-matic.com and read up on it. It is a great game!!
I have been playing for 26 years and with strat you can find leagues online if you want to enjoy it even more.

Check out 2 of my leagues:

www.brassleague.com and www.brassleagueofchampions.com

Later

I disagree - Dynasty League Baseball gives me more of a true baseball feel than Strat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph B
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill, I don't see APBA's 1800s board game cards here:

http://apba.stores.yahoo.net/cosecase.html .

Did I miss them?

Or, are you referring to the PC game or to Skeetsoft sets?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Strat-o-matic is by far the most statistically accurate baseball board game on the market."

Not true. There are several board games that provide excellent statistical "accuracy" . . . and each of them has at least one hole. S-O-M's hole is that because of its 50-50 (pitcher or batter card) it excludes the very unusual season statistics - cf. Jim Hickman, 1973 Cubs, i think . . . 1 double in ca. 300 AB's . . . almost impossible to recreate usign the Strat system.

However, every gamer has his favorite, and for his personal reasons. I prefer Replay, but not to the exclusion of any others, except APBA, whose pitching stats are almost useless.

RHB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph B
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard, indeed "most statistically accurate" is a difficult statement to defend, because there are so many variables: subjective defensive ratings vs purely statistics-based ones, statistical precision (Strat seems to lead the pack in this area in terms of number space on the player cards, although other games have wider Steal/Error/Range/Throw/etc ratings), and lack of game engine "holes" (where Ball Park Baseball appears to be the leader, at least among 50-50 games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Replay Baseball
Statis Pro Baseball *
APBA Baseball
Strat-O-Matic baseball
Box Seat baseball
Hardball Wars
Nine Inning Classic
Simpleball *
Box Score Baseball
4th Street Baseball
Dynasty Baseball
IBL Baseball *
Baseball Classics *
Baseball 5.0 *
Extra Innings *
DICE Baseball *
MVP Baseball
Cadaco All Star baseball
Negamco Baseball
Big League Manager
Baseball Manager
Pursue The Penant
The Baseball Card Game
Program IV Baseball *
Throwback Baseball

and oh-so-many others. The one marked with asterisks have versions that are freely (either demos or the full game) available, so you might start there and see if anything appeals to you and your father.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.