Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James R
United States
Philadelphia (Roxborough)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Here is a fun variant my friends and I play.

Each player takes the pieces of their opponent and arranges them however they wish face down in a stack (they are free to look at the pieces). The Queen is placed somewhere in the top most four tiles. The stacks are then returned to the owning players face down.

Play then continues as normal except that when adding a piece a player must add from the top of his face down stack arranged by his opponent.

Screw Your Neighbor!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like a cross between the "Quarto" variant I described in another post (except you choose the pieces for your opponent all at once, ahead of time, and they are hidden until played) and the "ordered deployment" variant someone else described even earlier. This has a bit more of a random feel to it, but it's sufficiently different to be worth a go. Thanks. I will suggest this the next time I get Hive on the table. However, even if what you've called this variant is accurate (and who doesn't try to screw their opponent/neighbor in this game), I think it could be named a little more generically. :-)

That's another thing that's great about Hive ... there are so many interesting ways in which you can vary the game mechanics without "breaking" the game at all. And the ideas just keep coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.