Victor Watrous
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Like any other Klingon: looking for a worthy opponent.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Grim Reaple!

This is a variant for the game Carcassonne. It introduces the Grim Reaper of meeple, and so I call it the Grim Reaple. I have been trying to figure out what to do with the two blank tiles I got in a Carcassonne expansion. I hope you like it.

I made two graveyards. The graveyard tile with the black boarder is similar to an Abbey tile; the graveyard tile completes the section(s) it touches and can be put just about anywhere in the game. Unlike the Abbey tile, the graveyard does not need to be surrounded on four sides to be used. The other is a simpler graveyard with a road going through it. It has to be placed using the usual tile-laying rules.

When the grave yard tile is laid, the Grim Reaple comes into play. The Grim Reaple reaps one meeple. This is done in a certain order. First, the Reaple takes the closest robber on a road that touches the grave yard. If there is no robber, then the Reaple takes a knight or mayor from a city that is contingent to the graveyard or is connected to the graveyard by road. If there is no knight or mayor in a city connected to the graveyard, then the Reaple takes a monk from a cloister or abbey that is contingent to or in the same field as the grave yard. Lastly, as a professional courtesy to a meeple that uses the same tool of the trade, and a monk is not present in a contingent cloister/abbey, the Reaple takes a farmer from a field that touches the graveyard.

In the case of two meeples being equal distant from the graveyard, the player that placed the graveyard tile determines which meeple is removed from play and returns to its owner. Once the Grim Reaple takes a meeple or it is determined there are no meeples to be taken, the Reaple is removed from play.

Variant on variant: The Grave Digger

If playing with the dragon, the player placing the graveyard tile can place a meeple on the graveyard tile as the grave digger one the same turn the tile is placed. This is in addition to playing the Grim Reaple. Each time the dragon takes a meeple, the owner of the grave digger scores one point. Like other meeples, the grave digger can be removed by the dragon. The player of the grave digger does not score a point when her grave digger is taken by the dragon.

IMPORTANT NOTE: THIS ITEM IS UP FOR BID ON THE AUCTION TO HELP CICI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a fantastic idea!!! Thanks for posting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Quintal
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Muuuuuuhahaha -- I love it! More Carcassone screwage!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool... I assume you measure distances by simply counting tile hops?

And this is actually a variant, even if you have to DIY the tiles You should post a link in the Carcassonne game forums!

Gorno
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Watrous
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johngorno wrote:
Cool... I assume you measure distances by simply counting tile hops?

And this is actually a variant, even if you have to DIY the tiles You should post a link in the Carcassonne game forums!

Gorno

Yes, count the tiles away from the graveyard if there is a dispute of which meeple is closer.

Thanks for mentioning the Carcassonne game forums. I'll put it there also.

I was thinking of contacting Carcassonne Central and asking if one of the designers over there can do the artwork for the tiles. Then I will ask to have it put on as an expansion on their site. The contributers and designers over at CC do some amazing artwork. It looks as good as or better than the game-publisher's tiles. I'm no artist--I'm just a geek with a lot of ideas. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nataline VF
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Awesome!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. So where do we acquire this "killer" piece... whistle

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Watrous
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:
Nice. So where do we acquire this "killer" piece... whistle

laugh

I was wondering if/when someone was going to ask. I made it. The scythe came off of a D&D miniature called "Skeletal Reaper". A little exacto saw action and viola! A little more saw action and there were grooves for the scythe on the Grim Reaple's arm and base. You can buy the mini at about any FLGS or OLGS for close to a dollar.

I had also cut the skeletal face off of the mini, but my missus didn't like the looks of the face when I put it on the meeple. As she usually has a better eye for those sorts of things than I do, I left it off. I just didn't want it to look like a black meeple picks up the scythe and says, "uh-huh, uh-huh...look at me! I'm the Grim Reaple!" (followed by dork laughter) I'm pleased how it turned out though.

Maybe with a little GG persuasion, I could be swayed to making some Grim Reaples for fellow BGGers. whistle Only problem is I don't have any more blank tiles if those are wanted also. Of course, interested parties could send me blank Carcassonne tiles. If interested, send me a geekmail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only is that a cool looking piece, it seems that your custom rules really fit the game quite well!! Fantastic job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Watrous
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMPORTANT NOTE: THIS ITEM IS UP FOR BID ON THE AUCTION TO HELP CICI.

Please help out this little girl and her family by making a bid on this or other items in the auction.

Thanks,

Victor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Holm
United States
Rio Rancho
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SPOOOKY

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Honeyfield
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only freaking hilarious but your 'expansion rules' actually sound like the Grim Reaple would add decent new aspect to the game...better than some of the official ones * cough catapult cough....cough count cough*

great work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.