Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Ratter
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy. I'm leaning one way on a rule, but some confusion has come up over it and i would appreciate verification/opinions. The rules state: "A player's race deploying on the map for the first time must enter it by conquering one of its border regions".

my question is, during this initial deployment turn, can a player conquer non-contiguous border regions? ie:can you choose multiple, non-adjacent border regions? strategic advantages/disadvantages aside, i'm wondering if this this possible.

i would think that once your race chooses it's starting region, you can subsequently only conquer regions that follow the adjacency rules (barring special and racial abilities). it boils down to interpreting that "first time" in the rules as a first TURN your race is deployed, or simply the first REGION you conquer.

this also puts the emphasis on "...conquering ONE of its border regions" and only one of its border regions. i know this may seem elementary, but its still a bit fuzzy to me. thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
i would think that once your race chooses it's starting region, you can subsequently only conquer regions that follow the adjacency rules (barring special and racial abilities).

This is correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Bulkley
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After the first region, you must have adjacency.

The rules are actually pretty clear on this. Notice that the entire section describing this is entitled "The first turn" - there isn't any ambiguity about turn vs. region.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it is not possible.

If you have ANY units on the board at all, you must attack regions which are adjacent to those units. Note that the definition of "adjacent" is modified by certain powers (flying, underworld).

If ALL of your units are in-hand / off the board, then (and only then!) you may attack any border region (Exception: Halflings can attack anywhere). Once you have units on the board, you must expand from those regions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Ratter
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cool. thanks guys...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.