Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keiron
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm slowly making my way through my first game of this and I've come across a situation that doesn't seem to make much sense:

O'Reilly's Advance Guard at Rivetta Gandolfi has so far managed to hold off the advancing French; indeed some unlucky rolls for the French have left Watrin's Division in quite a mess.
Anyway, Ott has arrived and O'Reilly's Advance Guard is now 'Out of Command'. They are still under General Orders to defend Rivetta Gandolfi and could well hold out for a few more turns before and 'Emergency Withdrawal' may be necessary.
Theoretically the Advance Guard should now pull out of Rivetta Gandolfi and move to within command range of Ott (who at the moment has moved to Casteggio to instruct Vogelsang), however given their strong position its feels as though this is going against the grain? Indeed, would they not then fail their orders to defend Rivetta Gandolfi?
I know there are no VPs for holding RG but it feels a shame to have to pull back from such a strong position.

Anybody have any thoughts about this?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Keiron,

You said: "Ott has arrived and O'Reilly's Advance Guard is now 'Out of Command'."

I don't think this is right.

The Austrian army in this game has no Corps structure. There is an Army HQ, and three divisions. So there is no need for the divisions to be within so many hexes of the Army HQ or of Ott. So O'Reilly and the AG can never be out of command radius or Out of Command.

If, though, there were Corps HQs in the Austrian army in this game, then what I said above would not apply.

(I was one of the playtesters for Montebello, but it's been a while, so this MIGHT be wrong.)

NB. Historically, O'Reilly pulled back without a fight. We had some difficulty replicating that in the playtests, and so the designer removed the VPs from holding Rivetta Gandolfi. Falling back from RG is generally a good idea because the French can easily surround O'Reilly's Advance Guard, which would be disastrous for the Austrians. But a direct assault by Watrin on Rivetta Gandolfi can often go wrong for the French, which seems to be what you found.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keiron
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response. That makes sense. Would be a bit hard for Divisions to remain within 8 hexes of the Army HQ.

I have another question, and again it concerns Rivetta Gandolfi; O'Reilly's Advance Guard are under General orders to defend RG. Can they (artillery and skirmishers) then fire during the Phasing Fire Phase at French units adjacent to, or within a few hexes of RG? or would they need to be under Engage orders?
So far I have assumed that they could as this makes sense to me. Also, in your example of play they do ... I think; correct me if I'm wrong.

Another quick question I have is: if a Commander (in this case Watrin) is in a hex on his own, does he block LOS to hexes beyond him? Common sense to me says no, but the rules are a little unclear about this.

Thanks!
Keiron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I didn't see your follow up.

You certainly can fire away at any one attacking you if you are under General/Defend in Place orders. I don't have the rulebook to hand so can't point you to the rules paragraph.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.