Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mathew Schemenaur
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you like Dominion, you might like the new game called Arctic Scavengers. It also uses the deck building mechanic. But, has its own unique theme and some unique mechanics. During your turn, you can use the people and items to perform actions (that get you more people and items). Or, you can save people for the fight. The fight happens after everyone has taken their turn. A group of us got to try this out with the designer this week. And the artwork is excellent.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/41933
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Barksdale
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your previous and nearly identical thread was moved to that game's forum. What are you expecting from this one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Schemenaur
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I didn't realize it was moved. I thought I must have messed up the posting. So, now I have the same topic twice. I'm not sure why it needed to be moved from the Dominion forum. I've seen other forums discuss and link to games with similar mechanics before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mschemen wrote:
I'm not sure why it needed to be moved from the Dominion forum. I've seen other forums discuss and link to games with similar mechanics before.

Maybe if people were discussing some game that they actually knew something about, and its relationship, that would be one thing. This just seems like spam, links to an unpublished game that hardly knows anything about, in the forum for a (possibly related) popular game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Schemenaur
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

Maybe if people were discussing some game that they actually knew something about, and its relationship, that would be one thing. This just seems like spam, links to an unpublished game that hardly knows anything about, in the forum for a (possibly related) popular game.

Based on your comments, if I post my information of interest in an unpopular game forum, then am I'm not spamming? Tell me the unpopular deck building games, so I can post in those forums without being labeled spam.

I have seen several post in the dominion forum about how people like the deck build mechanic, would like to see other games use that mechanic or they expected similar games to be produced. I've also seen posts related to wanting something like Dominion but with a different theme. I didn't want to dig through the many Dominion threads to find each specific discussion because I read these statements some time ago.

Obviously, the powers that be and you have judged my information as spam. Is it spam, or am I providing a service by informing the community about a game I just played this week for the first time. A game that clearly shares a similar mechanic to Dominion. If you left my post, there could have been a discussion on the game and how it is similar or different from Dominion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see, you and the designer of this game are from the same town. Hmmm...

Your post offered none of that discussion of the two games. It was an ad.

Putting it in multiple places made it spam.

I'm going to wager you've rated this game. (Haven't looked yet, honest)
I bet you've rated it a 9 or 10. (Nope, only an eight!)

That's why

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mschemen wrote:
Based on your comments, if I post my information of interest in an unpopular game forum, then am I'm not spamming?

If it's of interest, it's not spam.

Telling us we should be interested in your game, with no idea of why, is spam.

If your posting contained some actual information about how your game is or isn't like Dominion, it could conceivably be relevant. We don't know, since you didn't include any actual information.

Quote:
If you left my post, there could have been a discussion on the game and how it is similar or different from Dominion.

How can anyone discuss that if no one knows what's in your game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert K Gabhart
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I am the game designer and I feel a need to clarify a few things.

1) Matt in no way was involved in designing or even playtesting this game. He has absolutely zero vested interest in the success or failure of the game.

2) The game has been in constant playtesting since early March. Many people in the Dallas / Fort Worth metroplex were involved in this playtesting. Matt had heard about the game as I mentioned it at various gaming groups we participate in, but he never saw nor played the game until this week.

3) Matt is an upstanding guy and his intentions are as pure as the driven snow. I have no doubt in my mind that he was not attempting in any way to harass or spam the BGG community.

The bottom-line is that perhaps there was a better way for Matt to go about generating a discussion around a game that he thought people would be interested in examining. But I take issue with any accusations that he was willfully spamming or otherwise violating good BGG etiquette. Provide constructive criticism if you like, but please do not impune his motives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gabhart wrote:
But I take issue with any accusations that he was willfully spamming or otherwise violating good BGG etiquette. Provide constructive criticism if you like, but please do not impune his motives.

I think his post was a violation of good etiquette, but I'm not impugning his motives, I just question his judgment.

Constructive criticism: if you want to generate discussion of the game, then post about the game. A review of the game he wants people to be interested in would do a lot more to generate interest than just telling them they should be interested in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Schemenaur
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

If your posting contained some actual information about how your game is or isn't like Dominion, it could conceivably be relevant. We don't know, since you didn't include any actual information.

How can anyone discuss that if no one knows what's in your game?

2 point:
1) This is not my game.
2) I didn't include alot of information, but I did include some actual information.
a) It uses a deck building mechanic
b) Has a different theme
c) Has a unique battle concept at the end of everyones turn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Schemenaur
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Let's see, you and the designer of this game are from the same town. Hmmm...

Your post offered none of that discussion of the two games. It was an ad.

Putting it in multiple places made it spam.

I'm going to wager you've rated this game. (Haven't looked yet, honest)
I bet you've rated it a 9 or 10. (Nope, only an eight!)

That's why

1. I stated in the post that the designer showed me the game.
2. I indicated that I played the game once.
3. I have 86 games rated and Dominion is rated a 9. Rating a similar game an 8 is not a stretch. And, the rating is based on one play.
4. I didn't post in multiple places. I posted in one place and it was moved without me knowing about it. So, I posted again.
5. I do think it is relevant to the community that there is a new game that shares the deck building mechanic.
6. I'm not posting a link to a car wash service. I posted a link to a game with a similar game mechanic. I've seen many posts on related games in other forums, often about games that are not released yet. I personally have appreciated learning about the existence of these new games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Fred
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
interesting.

Anyway the post worked. I'm interested in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.