Michael Bevilacqua
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing scenario 3 and just realized I might be playing wrong.

Do you have to have masonry to move a city beyond an AV of 1?

I ask because I have Mining then got Metal Working which says, "The maximum AV for a City is 3..." but unlike Masonry is does NOT say, "During Upkeep, you can increase a City's AV by 1"

So back to my original question, do you have to have masonry to move a city beyond an AV of 1 or does Metal Working let you advance a city without needing Masonry?

I of course realize you still need to pay for the City AV increase in tribes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Metal Working increases the city level max.
Masonry allows you to build into that new plateau. If you dont have one of the advances that boosts the city level max then Masonry can't access it on its own past 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bevilacqua
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So basically, without Masonry there is no other way to advance a city?

Nevermind. I see you can do it with Civil Service or Slave Labor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Metal working and masonry are separate entities. Metal working effectively gives you 'planning permission' to grow all cities to 3 (definitely worth getting early on by the way). Written on the masonry advance card is simply a repeat of the rule that all cities can go up to 2 as part of the starting rules. This is not a special ability of masonry, but it is confusing.

...you need masonry, civil service or slave labour to actually 'build' 1AV each turn. These are the 'doing' cards which work alongside advances like Metalworking

If you have all three of these (mas, civ and slav) then you can build a maximum 3AV each turn (assuming you have the cities and tribes in situ to sacrifice for each expansion - remember you need two tribes to take a city from AV1 to AV2 and then three more tribes to move from AV2 to AV3 - assuming you have no 'build discount' cards such as simple and basic tools.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.