Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like there's nothing that prevents adding a sixth player to the game. Has anyone tried to come up with a six player variant?

In the 5 player game, 75 out of 85 building cards are kept, and 85 of 90 shop tiles are drawn.

In a six player game, you could drop the sixth round and use the 5 player card and tile distribution, and end up with 78 of 85 building cards kept, and end up using all 90 shop tiles. All you need is another set of markers for the sixth player. Maybe the tokens for wood from Agricola could be used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm..shortening the game might throw off the balance a bit. I mean, it's designed to be balanced between a small business that might be completed early and a large one that gets compelted late and pays out more for a shorter time. I think having only 5 turns might throw that off... I'd be more inclined to 6 turns, but dropping off tile and card draws faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the fifth turn there could be 2 cards kept and 1 tile distributed, and in a sixth turn you'd distribute 1 card and 1 tile. This way you use 84 out of 85 building cards.

Here's my proposed distribution for six players:

6 player: 5/3, 5/3, 4/2, 4/2, 4/2, 2/2 (+1 shop tile).

This will result in all 90 shop tiles being distributed, and 84/85 cards being distributed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Friedberg
United States
claypool
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ralph, just used your variant for a 6 player game. The distribution went fine, the end scores were:

Seemed close enough that the economy was reasonable. the game took WAY too long, though, at nearly 2.5 hours. There was quite a bit of negotiating, I'll give you that, but that's at least 45 minutes too long. I think that the complexity of the market with 6 is such that I prolly wouldn't play it that way again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our first play we did something wrong

We did 5/3, 5/3, 5/3, 4/2, 3/2

And the game ended at 5 turns. The last turn was inconsequential. We never did get to play it with the distribution I had proposed. With that many shops and buildings out early, it was a little too easy for the players to make their 6-shops. But it didn't take any longer than a normal game of Chinatown.

If you used a timer, you should be able to control the length of negotiations so that it doesn't drag out interminably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.