Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you can buy d10s that go from 0 to 9, but does anyone know of suppliers that have dice that do the same for d4, d6, d8, d10 and d12?

I know that chessex will let me design custom dice - but only on d6's. And q-workshop will allow you to customize ALL sides - but that may be somewhat expensive, especially given I only need one side customized.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TnT! wrote:
I know you can buy d10s that go from 0 to 9, but does anyone know of suppliers that have dice that do the same for d4, d6, d8, d10 and d12?

I know that chessex will let me design custom dice - but only on d6's. And q-workshop will allow you to customize ALL sides - but that may be somewhat expensive, especially given I only need one side customized.

Thanks

Why not take available d# dice and make the highest number = 0?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey McBeth
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sierra Madre Games and Fat Messiah Games used to sell d6s like that. I would assume they still have some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:

Why not take available d# dice and make the highest number = 0?

Well, that is my fallback position. However, this is for a game I am designing that requires a player to roll multiple dice (no more than five), of multiple types.

And the dice are exploding. Which means if you roll the highest number, you roll it again, and add it to the previous total. The problem with this mechanic is that if the dice go from 1 to n, there are some weird probability curves (i.e. a d4 becomes better than a d6 at key values).

However, this discontinuity is fixed if the dice go from 0 to n-1

So, now, the player needs to know to roll again at max value (which is n-1), and add zero if, well, zero is rolled.

And it would be cooler to have the correct dice :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TnT! wrote:

And the dice are exploding. Which means if you roll the highest number, you roll it again, and add it to the previous total. The problem with this mechanic is that if the dice go from 1 to n, there are some weird probability curves (i.e. a d4 becomes better than a d6 at key values).

You are describing Hard Vacuum dice exactly; in Sierra Madre's Kriegbot, d6's are 0-5, and fives are re-rolled and added to the total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. So, that is d6s an d10s handled. Anyone know of d4, d8s, d12s like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You can get just about anything you want customized by Chessex and at reasonable rates - depending on the quantity you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this for personal stuff?

If so, you can get a small number of blank indented d6s from Hasbro via their Replacement part section. Check out Yathzee Jr. editions or one of their Star Wars games.

If you need a decent number of blank d6s in 5 different colors, I've got a bunch ready to head to a happy buyer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Customize a d6 on the '6' side with a blank picture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Customize a d6 on the '6' side with a blank picture.

One could potentially do the same with other kinds of dice too. Just get some small stickers and cover the number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! I love 0..n-1 dice! They make so much more sense from a gamers' standpoint-- No matter how many dice you add, there's still the possibility of a 0, and especially d6s because the high-side progression as you add dice is a nice even 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, etc.

The only possible problem with using standard dice and treat/change the highest side ti 0 is the distribution... The numbers on dice are organized so every pair of opposite faces adds up the the same number. Now, I've yet to see proof that this REALLY helps them be more random, and I highly doubt it'd really effect anything we do outside of Vegas... So this is a very decent solution.

Just do a google shopping search for "blank dice", you'll find quite a few. I bought this set:
http://www.opentip.com/Toys-Kids-Baby/Blank-Dice-Stickers-p-...
(NOT from this vendor, so I can't vouch for them)
And I used a Sharpie to make dots rather than use the stickers, though you can do that too.

Now it looks like Chessex is distributing high quality blanks in all shapes too, and not at awful prices either:
http://www.scifigenre.com/itemList.aspx?nSubCategoryID=321&n...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.